Reminder: Alcohol sales banned in Thailand today

webfact

imageproxy copy 2.jpg

File photo

Sales of alcoholic beverages are banned in Thailand today (May 26) for Visakha Bucha Day, one of the most significant days in the Buddhist calendar.

While bars are closed and restaurants prohibited from serving alcohol due to COVID-19, today’s ban also applies to alcohol sold in supermarkets or convenience stores.

Anyone found violating the alcohol ban could face up to six months in jail and/or a fine of 10,000 baht.

The holiday also sees all government offices and banks closed.

People celebrating Visakha Bucha Day have been urged to ensure they strictly follow COVID-19 preventative measures, such as wearing a mask, social distancing, regular hand washing  and using alcohol gel. Where possible, people are asked to make merit at home.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-26

• Sad 3

19 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Does this ban affect the super trendy and wildly popular “Chemsex” parties….that the PM and the other party animals at Government House….know nothing about?

No, still be happening later in some places no doubt, 

Edited by Excel

37 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It is probably more important that the Thai people themselves do not perform the usual rituals, which involve congregating at the temples, than a few farangs not being able to buy a bottles of Archa Beer at the 7-11 to drink on the beach against those rules.

very good point, will there be mass gatherings and travel across Thailand or is it banned ?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Excel said:

buy lottery tickets and top up their phones

Oh, they need that stuff to further do God's good work, like American televangelists in the 80's who needed those limos and private jets. I remember my grandma begging my great-grandma not to send them any money.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, poohy said:

I suspect this edict will not filter down to our deeply Buddhist local shop out here...

Never does, does it.  I remember living in the village once upon a time way out in Wang Sam Mo.  Ah the drunken fights which would occur on the holidays and the loud screaming until late at night of couples fighting, fond memories.....

• Like 2

Good news for all the live streaming bars. Today do not need to pour water into empty vodka bottles pretending to sell alcohol shots .

today can openly charge 170 baht for a shot of water

• Haha 2

Just now, JonnyF said:

So now we have a Buddhist alcohol ban on top of the existing Covid Alcohol ban.

Frankly, I think this is insufficient. I hope Prayut adds a third nonsensical reason to ban alcohol, on top of the existing two in order to maintain existing levels of sanctimony.

Nice one !????

• Like 2