British man accused of brutally murdering Thai girlfriend faces extradition from Spain

webfact

Some years ago there was another English guy here in Phuket tried to fight extradition based on Thailands death penalty he lost and was extradited back here,

I cant remember his name I was wondering if he is still here or has been sent back to finish his sentence in the UK 

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Like in the USA?

Where juries are biased, paid off, disregard the judge's instructions, are affected by the media, threatened by mafia. 

You can get away with murder, look at Homer Simpson.

I remember a youth hostel in Amsterdam calling the police on me and kicking me out of the hostel because I had given up speaking for three days after reading a book on Buddhism. THEREFORE, because of that experience, I know that each and every person in the Netherlands is intolerant of others who do not share their religious beliefs. ????

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I remember this case in the news. Would be interesting if he took a lie detector test, but then would be interesting if it was compulsory for most everyone denying crimes in this country going all the way to the top to do it. This would help eliminate a bunch of BS even for corrupt prosecutors and judges. 

The lie detector test, has a great fallibility rate , which is why very few jurisdictions ever use them as evidence , in a court of law., even if used on suspects as a scare tactic

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

The lie detector test, has a great fallibility rate , which is why very few jurisdictions ever use them as evidence , in a court of law., even if used on suspects as a scare tactic

Not nowadays as has been perfected in how given, but not widely accepted for courts of law. So not just one test but it is given several times in a row and the questions are strategically poised based around series of events. Very hard to fool this test or falsely fail this test... Now if given the once it is supposedly 85 - 90% effective, but when given more than once say 3 times it will be highly correct in results. People who have been drinking or taking or have taken any sort of drugs or medicine are not given the test because these can likely alter your body functions and effect the response. This way one has bigger chances of beating the results. Maybe should not be used in court as actual full evidence to convict, but should be used submitted as partial evidence and the rest based on evidence and the trial lawyers and how good they are. I am not a fa not lie detector tests, but I believe that they are quite effective for first stage interrogations and would catch and call out most everyone blatantly trying to lie an cover up things. 

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Some years ago there was another English guy here in Phuket tried to fight extradition based on Thailands death penalty he lost and was extradited back here,

I cant remember his name I was wondering if he is still here or has been sent back to finish his sentence in the UK 

Yes, I think even when Thailand did execute people, they were unlikely to execute foreigners, and even less so white people.

35 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Yes, I think even when Thailand did execute people, they were unlikely to execute foreigners, and even less so white people.

I dont think they have ever executed a farang

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

To be extradited from the UK, Thailand would have to have given assurances that if convicted, he would not face the death penalty.  The UK's (and many other countries) extradition policy is clear that they will not extradite any suspects if they will face excecution. I don't know the case you mention but if no such assurance had been received, his fight against extradition would have succeeded.

Personally, I'm surprised the UK complies with any extradition requests from Thailand.  I don't want to see anyone guilty of murder get away with it but I have no trust in Thailand's judiciary/prosecution system whatsoever.

Over the years there's been plenty of anecdotal evidence of the rail-roading of suspects, evidence manufacturing/tampering etc.etc. To my knowledge nothing has ever been proven but that's hardly surprising - they're not likely to let foreign powers investigate but some matters raise serious questions. You only have to look at the situation with 'evidence' in the Koh Tao murders case to see that Thailand's prosecution of suspects can be highly questionable. 

In complying with an extradition request it is usual that the strength of evidence and the likelihood of a fair trial are considered along with how appropriate sentencing may be.  I'm not at all sure Thailand can be relied upon in any of those issues.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Yes, I think you're right.

I think they executed a Taiwanese guy a long time ago.

Thailand retains the death penalty, but carries it out only sporadically. Since 1935 Thailand has executed 326 persons, 319 by gunshot—the last on 11 December 2003—and seven by lethal injection (the latest was executed on 18 June 2018). As of March 2018, 510 persons remain on death row.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Yes, the Brit (Lee Aldhouse)was extradited for the murder of a US marine, found guilty and sentenced to 25 years in 2013.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/30220794

https://tastythailand.com/british-man-lee-aldhouse-extradited-to-thailand-from-uk-on-murder-charges/

Not seen any news on whether still in Thailand or back in UK.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dabhand said:

Yes, the Brit (Lee Aldhouse)was extradited for the murder of a US marine, found guilty and sentenced to 25 years in 2013.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/30220794

https://tastythailand.com/british-man-lee-aldhouse-extradited-to-thailand-from-uk-on-murder-charges/

Not seen any news on whether still in Thailand or back in UK.

Thats the guy it happened in the area I live, 

On 5/28/2021 at 7:06 AM, Tarteso said:

Enjoy the trip, see you next fall…. At Bangkok Hilton.

Do you think he can get a fair trial in Thailand? (a country which changes their constitution and laws regularly after military coups by whomever takes control - recently 2007 and 2014). Does he even need a trial? You don't think so.       

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 8:03 AM, Ventenio said:

This is evil.  pure evil.   I will not bring up how this Brit murdered in a more gruesome way than other countries.........oh wait.

mental health issues are real.   if you are alone now, talking to yourself, waiting until 9 a.m. before you can drink and complain about the world as you hope to get a bowl of 20-baht soup for only 15 baht.....

it's probably time to get help.   most mentally unstable expats in the world........might be your neighbor.  or neighbors.  

This guy is presumed guilty, guilty of bar fining from Nana Plaza only most likely, no other evidence from what I've read. He only just met the lady, why would he dismember her? what's the motive? did he even know the river the suitcase was dumped in? Most likely a disgruntled druggie ex boyfriend or other known person with motive did it, of course the police bungled the investigation so pin it on the farang, no Burmese around

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, josthomz said:

Typical Pattaya bar conversation between expats, up here, we have. 

If they requested extradition for him, they obviously have to present evidence which then a Spanish extradition judge has to rule over it and grant (or not) the extradition. 

If the Spanish judge and later the European judge as well granted the extradition, there must have been enough evidence, and that is based under Spanish/European law. 

If what you’re saying is that the Thai police fabricated the evidence, then it’s just a ridiculous conspiracy theory to side with a murderous farang. 

The guy is a Brit so automatically many of the Brits here side with him. So standard seen it before. Also a lot of the sexpats side with him as he was one of them.

Its so strange to think that the Spanish courts and European one would not look at the evidence before deciding to extradition. Its common to do so in the world. These guys think that the police will give all information out to the public also something that is normally not done. 

Its just crazy the excuses people come up with the moment they think the killer is one of them and to justify their feelings of superiority to Thais. 

For the Thais to ge this guy there must be strong evidence otherwise he would not be extradited. 

I agree that the evidence mentioned in the story is not strong, but then we assume that the police has released all evidence (not  normal) and the reporters got it all right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1