A closer look at Sinopharm, Thailand’s first alternative vaccine

webfact

AQ2BT.jpg

A vial of the Sinopharm Covid-19 coronavirus vaccine. (Photo by Farooq NAEEM / AFP)

By Thai PBS World’s General Desk

A vaccine developed by China’s Sinopharm looks set to become the first alternative jab available to Thais, as Chulabhorn Royal Academy prepares to import 1 million doses next month. 

On Friday (May 28), the Sinopharm shot became the fifth vaccine approved by Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) after the AstraZeneca, Sinovac, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson brands.

How effective is it?

The Sinopharm jab is an inactivated COVID-19 vaccine developed by Sinopharm/China National Pharmaceutical Group and approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) for people aged 18 and above. The shot requires two doses at a recommended interval of three to four weeks.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/a-closer-look-at-sinopharm-thailands-first-alternative-vaccine/

Logo-top-.png
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Thaivisa posters guesses and "recollections" don't count as real stats!

With a two-jab vaccine the effectiveness after the first jab is irrelevant, it could be 0% and it wouldn't matter, it's the second one that completes the inoculation.

If you look closer you will notice it was neither a guess but a question. See the ? At the end. 
so if a first jab of vaccines give say 60% protection that would not make a difference if the recipients were to contract Covid. 
Or was that just a guess or recollection? 

Edited by Swimfan
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I call any jab that can prevent 100% death, complete bull !

Call it whatever you want...but most of the currently approved vaccines have zero percent death rates from Covid after full vaccination. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

the Sinopharm vaccine will not be free in Thailand - did I not read the Gov stated vaccines will be free for everyone ?

Sinopharm is one of the most expensive vaccines . More then Pfizer and moderna and according to its clinical trials its really not that good. A little better then Sinovac

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Swimfan said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Thaivisa posters guesses and "recollections" don't count as real stats!

With a two-jab vaccine the effectiveness after the first jab is irrelevant, it could be 0% and it wouldn't matter, it's the second one that completes the inoculation.

If you look closer you will notice it was neither a guess but a question. See the ? At the end. 
so if a first jab of vaccines give say 60% protection that would not make a difference if the recipients were to contract Covid. 
Or was that just a guess or recollection? 

You're right, your post was formed in the manner of a question but it was really just emphasising those alleged efficiency figures.

"so if a first jab of vaccines give say 60% protection that would not make a difference if the recipients were to contract Covid".

I don't really understand what that question means, "not make a difference" to what? 

Either way, I've no idea, I'm not a virologist or epidemiologist but my understanding is that the 2-dose vaccines are not considered effective until the second dose has been given, i.e. if there's no 2nd dose, the first dose would be redundant. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

You're right, your post was formed in the manner of a question but it was really just emphasising those alleged efficiency figures.

"so if a first jab of vaccines give say 60% protection that would not make a difference if the recipients were to contract Covid".

I don't really understand what that question means, "not make a difference" to what? 

Either way, I've no idea, I'm not a virologist or epidemiologist but my understanding is that the 2-dose vaccines are not considered effective until the second dose has been given, i.e. if there's no 2nd dose, the first dose would be redundant. 

You probably need to do some more research before posting then instead of guessing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Call it whatever you want...but most of the currently approved vaccines have zero percent death rates from Covid after full vaccination. 

My brother in law just got a jab of Sinovac and was told by the doctor he still has a 40% chance of contracting Covid but not ending up in a ICU. He was told to still where a mask

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Actually no. In fact, there's been a lot of debate among epidemiologists whether it would have made more sense to inoculate as many people as possible with the first dose before proceding to the second. This highlights the difference between a public health care model and an individual health care model. Proponents of the former claim that trying to inoculate as many people as possible with 1 dose would save more lives than inoculating people on the standard 2 dose schedule. Of course, this also would depend on how potent the first does of each vaccine is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

the Sinopharm vaccine will not be free in Thailand - did I not read the Gov stated vaccines will be free for everyone ?

It only took them a week to contradict themselves on free vaccines. They are getting better

• Confused 3