Yingluck hits back after Prayut criticism over rice-pledging scheme

webfact

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

All Thai politicians are corrupt. The only difference was that Thaksin and Yingluck gave a bit back as well with the 30 baht healthcare scheme etc.

They also did a decent job running the country. Loads of investment back then and Thailand was an Asian tiger.

The Junta give nothing back. They keep the boot firmly on the throat of the poor.  They are also hugely corrupt and completely incompetent. I know who I'd prefer. 

The 30 baht heathcare scheme was a failure.  My wife's family gave up on it years ago. 

Too bad Thailand can't find better leaders.  The scourge of Thailand....corruption.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

24 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Not having a dig at you but using Wikipedia to back up your claims and in the same thread claiming you know better than others because you have been here longer doesn't do you any favours. ???? 

The reason Thaksin was removed was he was a threat to the elites' status quo, nothing more. He started breaking rice bowls and stopping money being diverted from the taxpayer to the government banks to the elites. One of the methods employed prior to his tenure was loan forgiveness to which the former KTB CEO lost his job under Thaksin and that's when the elites started fighting back. KTB was forgiving an unusually large amount of loans to certain people for billions of Baht.

Remember, a lot of these corrupt scumbags were still trying to recoup their losses from the financial crisis in 1997/98.

Don't forget when Thaksin stopped this, one of the big benefactors of loan forgiveness was Sondhi Limthongkul, who had personal and business loans totalling billions of Baht. Sondhi's media company went into overdrive with the rhetoric, politicising the country's highest institution and encouraging militant yellow shirt protests which cost the country billions in the end and resulted in two military coups which have set the country back decades as we are seeing now.

If you recall after the coup in 2006 the then military junta struggled to find solid evidence to charge Thaksin with anything, despite the many allegations from the yellow shirts and other detractors.

If he were so corrupt as everyone claimed, there would have been several charged laid on him back then straight away but there wasn't. Instead they had to go after his wife for the Rachadaprisek land purchase.

As it stands now, most Thais are realising that they are worse off than before, and going on current sentiment, most would welcome him back with open arms.

That Wiki link lays things out quite well.  Seems some here only look at the good side of this family, not the reality of their dodgy deeds.  Nor, the other issues we can't discuss here. 

This was the issue that brought him down.  But there were lots of other issues also.  He could have stayed and fought this, and probably won.  But he did like so many other politicians here...went on the run.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/oct/21/thaksin-thailand-corruption

Thailand's former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was today sentenced to two years' imprisonment in absentia over a corrupt land deal.

In a ruling that made him the first Thai politician to be convicted of corruption committed while prime minister, Thaksin was found to have violated conflict of interest rules in helping his wife buy land from a state agency at a reduced price.

• Sad 3

33 minutes ago, WineOh said:

Because the judges are in the pockets of the very people who kicked them out!

The legal system here is owned by the wealthy.

Of course they would lose the case and probably spend the rest of their lives in jail as political prisoners.

Does it make you guilty when all the cards are stacked against you and you have no chance of a fair trial?

They saw what was coming and acted fast.

Fair play to them.

I hear ya, but they still had to file proper legal charges and fight it in court.  He lost.  But, his wife did come back and was eventually cleared.  Hmmm....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/oct/21/thaksin-thailand-corruption

But his wife, Pojaman, who jumped bail and fled to England with the former leader two monhs ago, was cleared of wrongdoing in the real estate deal.

26 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Might as well ask the Red Bull heir that as well, his family is far more wealthy than the Shinawatra's aren't they, but they also know how the court system works here, i.e. could go both ways for that guy, but one way for the Shinawatra's.

A dodgy land deal is NOTHING like being on drugs and killing a cop while speeding down Suk! LOL.  Easy to get out of the first, very difficult to get out of the second one!!

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

You got the wrong 'him'.

It was 'her', Yingluck that promised top-of-the-range Samsung notebooks and then renaged with cheap, Chinese junk, poor quality tablets that didn't really work, weren't programmed properly with no maintenance support, no electricity in rural classrooms, Teachers who didn't know how to use them and of course, no accountability. 

Thaksin on the other hand was slowly but surely, suppressing the media, dreaming of dictatorship and changing all the traffic lights in Bangkok to green to ease congestion, while accusing some army officer of trying to kill him. 

This is one hell of a country!  

Spot on!  Thanks for the correction.

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

Future forward party leader is a perfect example. He stayed and fought and despite all odds lost every single case 

Again, nothing like Thaksin's case.  And Thanathorn isn't in jail.  But we'll see, the EC could still take up the case.

Not to mention his case was decided while the military was in charge.  I do agree it'd be hard to get a fair trial now for something like this.   But when Thaksin was charged, his party was in power.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm not sure Thaksin or Yingluck caused anyone to lose their job or their future.

The country seemed to be doing well when they were in charge.

I think it's fair to say that the rice farmers that hung them selves were robbed of their futures. Old story, pot kettle black etc. she was not a good PM.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Robin said:

I do not see Prayuth doing a better job than Yingluk, and she is better looking that he is.

Her, and her brother's problem was that they changed the face of Thai politics, and scared too many of the Elite who want to keep the status quo.

One day, I hope, Thai politics will modernise, and the country move forward, but there are many now in power who would not want this.

I dare say if they hadn't committed crimes, they'd still be in power.  And nothing the elite could do about it.  Their crimes brought them down.

Thailand needs to deal with the police force to move forward.  Hard to enforce laws with corrupt police.  And yes, those in power love it this way.  They can literally get away with murder.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

The ruling was against him, for obvious reasons, and he knew he was in trouble.  Thus, he did a runner.

I have taken the liberty to correct your above sentence for you, thus removing the word "ruling" and replacing it with "system", there you go, all good now ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have taken the liberty to correct your above sentence for you, thus removing the word "ruling" and replacing it with "system", there you go, all good now ????

Against forum rules really.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Fair call.  The legal system was against him.  Makes sense. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Fair call.  The legal system was against him.  Makes sense. 

Exactly, legal systems cannot be against you until you have a fair trial. I rest my case your honour and expect all charges to be dropped, thank you very much.

• Haha 2