Yingluck hits back after Prayut criticism over rice-pledging scheme

webfact

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Not really.  Some are massively corrupt, others, not so much. 

Obviously, they didn't do a decent job or they'd still be here running the country! ????

They didn't do a decent job for the right people. Did win the election fair and square though, just like her brother. 

Screenshot_20210603_071144_com.android.chrome_edit_1908782688842074.jpg

Screenshot_20210603_071151_com.android.chrome_edit_1908799251388946.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I paid a visit to the posh new Thai Rak Thai Party headquarters when it opened on New Petchburi Road while Thaksin was in power. It was surreal, to say the least.

The whole length of the main hallway walls were hung with a gallery of Thaksin pictures. At the far end stood a life-sized mock-up of him surrounded by small altars decorated with flowers and candles.

Then there was the "Thaksin Library", choke-full with books allegedly authored by him - and on every subject imaginable. "He must've spent a fortune on ghostwriters," was my first reaction.

I thought this personality cult quite unsettling, reminiscent of what is practiced in North Korea or Turkmenistan.

Now... just imagine the Thai Rak Thai successor party, Pheua Thai, would've dedicated a "Yingluck Library". It would've brimmed with titles like:

- "My Life with Burberry Wellingtons"

- "The 101 of Daily Business Luncheons"

- "How to Head a Family Business Without Actually Knowing Anything About Business"

- "The Puppet and the Master - a Novel Centered on Montenegro"

Yes, she was removed by an illegal coup d'etat. Nobody is disputing that, and it is indeed a deplorable and criminal to remove a democratically elected government in such a way.

Yet... instead of standing up to the junta Yingluck opted to do a cowardly runner just like her brother. If she had stayed, maybe - just maybe - things would look differently today and Mr. P and his cronies would've long gone.

That she now deflects from her responsibility for the disastrous rice subsidy scheme only goes to show her lack of class. May I remind everybody: Though being chairwoman of the committee that oversaw and directed that subsidy program, she did NOT ONCE attend a meeting. Moreover, she KNEW that several ministers in her cabinet filled their pockets by siphoning off subsidy funds. yet she did nothing!

And Thaksin himself... well, he had absolutely no scruples sacrificing his own sister so he could pull the strings from behind the curtain (or rather, from abroad).     

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

First they had a judicial coup against Ying, when that wasn't enough, the real thing. That was after the coup against her brother. After coups they LET both skip, because they were scared of having a trial in Thailand. Then they stacked the legal charges against them courtesy of 'their courts'. The same ones who recently Ok'd a drug smuggler (& worse) to hold office. Legal charges, as you know, mean nothing

Were the Shins corrupt? Yep, but considering who & what, was before, during, and after, it's ridiculous to hold that against them. It's also ridiculous that this has been going on for twenty years.

If Thaksin would not have been as corrupt and greedy as he was he would probably still be prime minister. The "first" coup happend because the courts didn't dare to unseat Thaksin. And the next coup happened because his little sister repeated all that. And at least many people in Bangkok were happy that the coups happend. I was there when people gave flowers to the soldiers in the streets.

There are many charges again Thaksin and Yingluck. And as far as I see the evidence is pretty obvious. Guilty as charged. 

I don't pretend that Prayut and his government are clean. But that is no reason to forgive the criminal who were in charge before him. All accused criminals should be in front of judges who look at the evidence. Thaksin and his little sister knew that the evidence is against them and they run away - including their ill gotten billions. 

140527080640-02-thailand-0527-live-video

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bermondburi said:

They didn't do a decent job for the right people. Did win the election fair and square though, just like her brother. 

Screenshot_20210603_071144_com.android.chrome_edit_1908782688842074.jpg

Screenshot_20210603_071151_com.android.chrome_edit_1908799251388946.jpg

You think elections here are fair?  Seriously?  Wow....

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There are many charges again Thaksin and Yingluck. And as far as I see the evidence is pretty obvious. Guilty as charged.  .....  All accused criminals should be in front of judges who look at the evidence

Uh huh

Thaidownload.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

The 30 Baht/gold card/"whatever it is called now" healthcare scheme is popular and far from a failure. Yes, there are long queues, but people get the treatment they need. People are getting treatment that prior to this scheme they could not afford. Perhaps, your wife's family are reasonably well off such that they can afford private healthcare, which is definitely more convenient. Good for them, but their experience does not render the scheme a failure. I know many people who avail themselves of this scheme. 

My brother in law was recently sick.  Went to the local hospital but was told he was from another province and would have to go there for help.  He was SICK!  They wanted some crazy money to transport him by ambulance.

My MIL would get up at 4am to be first in line to see the doc, taking a bus some 90 minutes to get to the hospital.  Guess what?  Many days, the doc never showed up.

In our experience, it's a failure. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

This cluster<deleted> of a government has gone overboard with populist schemes. Absolute hypocrites. They make Thaksin look like an absolute beginner in this regard.  

That is my take on it as well. Bozo and his clowns have literally sunk Thailand into the trillions and climbing with no stop in sight. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Again, nothing like Thaksin's case.  And Thanathorn isn't in jail.  But we'll see, the EC could still take up the case.

Not to mention his case was decided while the military was in charge.  I do agree it'd be hard to get a fair trial now for something like this.   But when Thaksin was charged, his party was in power.

I could be wrong, but believe you are mistaken, he was charged in absentee or at least from memory a few cases. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tonray said:

Welcome to another episode of "Privileged Billionaire Mud-Slingers"....."watch as out of touch billionaires swap charges of blame while people lose their jobs and futures" Thursday at 8 on Mono 29

I can not understand how ungrateful she can be when she was allowed to escape from Thailand.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Come on.  Do some research on why they were booted out.  It was done via the legal system.  So yes, he was a threat to the establishment here.  Most criminals like this are.

oh look, it's the sinovac guy ????

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm not sure Thaksin or Yingluck caused anyone to lose their job or their future.

The country seemed to be doing well when they were in charge.

It seems that nobody has mentioned the topic of the OP: rice-pledging scheme.

Knowing what that was, how we can read the quote above?

For the ones who want to know, in short: Thaksin, and Yingluck later, had made promises to poor farmers -mainly in the Isaan - we will buy your rice for double price as before, just vote for us. When they finally bought the rice they paid by promising notes, not by money. For that time of waiting on money many farmers got bankrupt, heavily indebted, many tragedies in villages. 

The rice had been stored in new huge warehouses built up by state money, owned by party friends.  Keeping the rice and waiting that the world prices will soar.  In the meantime, other world players jumped on bandwagon, happy that no Thai competition. And what had happened with the rice? Half of it rotten in cheaply built warehouses, sold later for a kiss.

And what the clever general did when Yingluck was out ? Exchanged immediately the promising notes for money...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm not sure Thaksin or Yingluck caused anyone to lose their job or their future.

The country seemed to be doing well when they were in charge.

Get out of my head ! Thailand, post 2014 isn't Thailand! 

Ya  can't even talk about the cons for CS ,without fear of...

"The country seemed to be doing well when they were in charge"

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Saanim said:

For the ones who want to know, in short: Thaksin, and Yingluck later, had made promises to poor farmers -mainly in the Isaan - we will buy your rice for double price as before, just vote for us.

Every democratic government in the world pledges money for it's citizens in return for votes.

Very few make good on their promises though.

Thaksin and Yingluck were some of the very few politicians to try and keep their promises.

For the past 5 years my family rice farm hasn't been planted, under Prayut, not worth the effort.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2