Traffic fines: Here's what you must pay - including 500 baht for "undertaking"

webfact

Aside from Bangkok, where else and when has any of these violations been enforced?  Checkpoints don't work nor does any of the current method being used when they decided to get out of the A/C booth or office and actually address the problem. Then you basically got enforcer who don't practice what they preach and fine others then there are the majority who don't truly understand what they are suppose to enforce?

When it comes to " under or over taking " here is the law or let say the rule of thumb which from my experience no one here including police understand. It is per say legal but it isn't addressed in rule book but only in the training film.  Under or overtaking isn't allowed 200-300 meter from an intersection.

You see it everyday I consider it one of the major problems as to death and accidents because it isn't taught and it is very simple to fix. In Pattaya living here I seen 6 deaths and a number of accidents people and vehicle because they never have been taught.

I drive my motorbike 50-70 KM, a day I undertake and overtake but I do it with one thing in mind " with caution "  meaning when traffic slows or comes to a complete stop it is for a REASON you don't continue to under or overtake flying! 

Example:  you go down a road a bus slows and stops to allow a vehicle out from a driveway to make a right turn you don't overtake the bus going 80 KM.  Vehicle shows down at intersection to allow vehicle to make right turn one doesn't undertake going 80 KM.  At a intersection vehicles are all stopped for traffic but biker overtakes all stop vehicles never giving it a thought into on coming traffic.

All these examples are true stories which all ended up in death, broken necks I see these types of incident hundred of times a day in my travel. I once stopped as a witness and gave my side of the incident as to what I saw to the police explain to them my decision based on the Thai law and my experience in the transportation industry. I got nothing but disbelief and blank stirs victims who survived even jumped up and went into a rage because I said blame them.

Under and overtaking is acceptable or legal here but must be DONE WITH CAUTION THINK WHY TRAFFIC HAS SLOWED OR STOPPED AND EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED DOING SO WILL SAVE YOUR OR SOMEONE ELSE LIFE.

• Like 1

It is a shame that most on this forum believe, because it is true and has been true for many years, that the people, including some farang, are not listening; they do not care one jot about the law and are seemingly content with this status quo and in real terms so are the police.

if I am in charge, there will be a change and future announcements will include:

The traffic laws are going to be rigorously enforced. If you break these laws, you will be fined and that will be enforced too.

And what's more, we are coming for you to collect the fines you already owe us.

Expect some home visits if you ignore the laws.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

The Chinese tourists were famous for doing this in CM on bikes. They would even dead stop on the right to look at their phone.

Evan with no safety Helmut on. The rider should not be allowed to continue hi journey.

• Haha 1

Apart from the odd 'trap' on a highway or the odd early morning check, I have yet to see the cops out catching many individuals around the local markets. Gee the RTP would make a small fortune there, ha!

• Like 1

What's the point of having laws when they cam make them one minute only not to enforce them the next? I am referring to the fact that a few years back they passed a law about banning travel in the back of pickup. Only for them to backtrack and allow it.

Apr 5, 2560 BE — Under Thai law, the beds of pickup trucks are reserved for cargo, not humans.

The Thai Government has done a flip flop on its law banning the riding in the back of pickup trucks after considering that such riding has become the way of life of Thai people.May 24, 2564 

1 hour ago, itsari said:

Not sure where you are from Jack . Against the highway code to overtake on the left lane .

You use the right lane to overtake and when possible return to the left side lane .

he is discussing Thailand (dual or multi lane road ), nothing to do with you're from

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1

I really can't understand these people. When a police officer issues a ticket for an offence he is entitled to claim 95% of the ticketed fine. The other 5% goes to the government. The 95% is divided up between the issuing officer and the pool of officers in non front line rolls. 
So basically the harder the front line officer puts himself out the more the officers get. Now you'd imagine that that is a license to print money but for some reason they don't put themselves out, In my Amphur the police live within the community and therefore fining their neighbours /friends/relatives would make life rather difficult for them. So I can see why the laws are not enforced here. But when elsewhere................

The Road traffic act actually allows for undertaking (passing a slower vehicle on the left side) if there are two lanes or more in the same direction and there are no vehicles behind you. Chapter III, part II, section 45.

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Road_Traffic_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf

Overall, the right lane (in a two lane or more in same direction) is for overtaking only. It is not allowed to continuously drive in this lane. Unfortunately often there is no other choice because the left lane is kaputt by all the overloaded trucks and poor road works. Fortunately it is gradually getting better (the road works that is).

Chapter III, part I, section 37 also have this valuable instruction regarding signaling:

Section 37. Giving signal with hands and arms shall be performed as
follows:
(1) when the driver wishes to slow down, he or she must stretch his or
her right arm outside the conveyance at shoulder level and wave his or her hand up
and down repeatedly;

Edited by AlQaholic

18 hours ago, jackdd said:

That's of course misleading, because undertaking is allowed if there is more than one lane.

It's only not allowed if it's a one lane road. (If the vehicle in front is signaling to do a right turn and it's possible to pass without driving over the hard should it's also allowed)

You need to go and watch the video at the driving license centre, "all overtaking on the left is illegal" single, duel or otherwise here in Thailand and you should legally stop and wait until the person turning right has completed their maneuver, not pass on the hard shoulder, I know we all do it, but it is illegal. but of course no police enforcement ever here in LOS. 

18 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Many drivers/riders are guilty of all those misdemeanors every single trip. 

It could be an expensive day out for some....if the police can be persuaded to actually do their job.

And there you have it. They don't do their job, so publishing a list of fines that won't be levied in 99% of the cases is pointless. Just think of the money they could make (officially) if they did. And it might even make the drivers take more care, although I doubt it.

3 minutes ago, denis911 said:

You need to go and watch the video at the driving license centre, "all overtaking on the left is illegal" single, duel or otherwise here in Thailand and you should legally stop and wait until the person turning right has completed their maneuver, not pass on the hard shoulder, I know we all do it, but it is illegal. but of course no police enforcement ever here in LOS. 

The law which says undertaking is allowed in certain situations was posted in this topic here before. I think you understood something wrong when you watched the video.

• Like 1

don't understand: Their aim with this latest action was to come closer to International Regulations/Rules...the "unroadworthy undertaker" is still a far cry from that goal

3 hours ago, MaiDong said:

In all reality though, having a license doesn't make you any better a driver, on the contrary, it could almost serve as a license to do whatever you please, in the upmost arrogant manner... 

True , driving with no license makes you drive with more care . 

I get the undertaking if a slow driver is occupying the right lane as I do that myself on occassion.  The weaving in and out at high speed, as if playing a computer game, is nuts though.  400 or 500 baht.  I think what most people don't understand that a licence is a contract that gives you permission to drive a vehicle in accordance with the highway code.  Alot of drivers seem to think it is their god given right.  Massive fines should be given for lunacy. 

Maybe their should be a new law which states all cars must have gps so speeding can be automatically detected.  There could a law insisting on front and rear dashcams so the police can observe footage to apportion blame when an accident occurs.  They could franchise out speed cameras to villages and towns and share the profits with the local community.  There is loads of stuff the government could do but it would fly in the face of the only unwritten Thai law that matters, which is, "I do what I want when I want.".

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Having no licence to show 200 baht

How much is a license again? Might be worth skipping the wait to renew my driving license next time ????

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, shady86 said:

No fines for idiots blocking the right lane driving as if the road belongs to them?

No fines for not wearing helmets on scooters and/or riding with more than 2 persons on it

19 hours ago, jackdd said:

That's of course misleading, because undertaking is allowed if there is more than one lane.

It's only not allowed if it's a one lane road. (If the vehicle in front is signaling to do a right turn and it's possible to pass without driving over the hard should it's also allowed)

Quoted for truth.

Edited by wprime

2 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

Easier said than done. The infrastructure you need would be considerable eg car pounds, recovery vehicles and staff to administer this nation wide. The Government is not going to invest any money in a system that does not bring in extra money from the public.

Many would collect their vehicles that day, unregistered and unroadworthy being the exception.

They could keep them for a limited time the owners forfeit and they're auctioned. Or even better, auction on the spot each day.

Seriously inconveniencing ppl needs to happen. This will have results, especially for speeding as it will make journeys longer.

Unregistered, unroadworthy, unlicensed should never be on the roads.