Thailand reports 2,817 new COVID-19 cases, 36 new deaths

webfact

Bangkok father wins netizens hearts with videos showing care for Covid-infected son

A video clip of a father helping his son wear a PPE suit and taking him to a field hospital in Bangkok on a motorcycle has been widely shared and commented on by netizens after it was posted on TikTok on Saturday.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001706

• Thanks 2

People in Samut Prakan advised to avoid ice after ice factory workers found infected with COVID-19

The provincial health office in Thailand’s Samut Prakan province has issued a warning to consumers, advising them not to put ice in their drinks or disserts, out of concern that it may be contaminated with COVID-19, after many workers at an ice factory, in Bang Phli district, were found to be infected.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/people-in-samut-prakan-advised-to-avoid-ice-after-ice-factory-workers-found-infected-with-covid-19/

• Sad 1

Medical equipment plant in Ayutthaya closed, 5,000 workers quarantined

The communicable disease committee, in Thailand’s central province of Ayutthaya, has ordered the 7 day closure of a medical equipment production plant in Sena district for major disinfection and cleanup, to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

About 5,000 workers at the plant have been placed in quarantine, after 51 were found to be infected, according to Dr. Phira Areerat, the provincial health chief.

Governor Panu Yamsri said that, according to an initial investigation, about 3,400 of some 5,000 workers at the plant are at high risk, because they were in close and regular contact with those already infected.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/medical-equipment-plant-in-ayutthaya-closed-5000-workers-quarantined/

• Sad 1

Medical equipment plant in Ayutthaya closed, 5,000 workers quarantined

The communicable disease committee, in Thailand’s central province of Ayutthaya, has ordered the 7 day closure of a medical equipment production plant in Sena district for major disinfection and cleanup, to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

About 5,000 workers at the plant have been placed in quarantine, after 51 were found to be infected, according to Dr. Phira Areerat, the provincial health chief.

Governor Panu Yamsri said that, according to an initial investigation, about 3,400 of some 5,000 workers at the plant are at high risk, because they were in close and regular contact with those already infected.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/medical-equipment-plant-in-ayutthaya-closed-5000-workers-quarantined/

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You could be right.  But I seriously doubt even Thailand would continue locking down schools for the next 6 months. Personally, I think the numbers are amazingly low for a country the size of Thailand and that far more damage would be done by extending the lockdown, but I realise I'm in a minority here.   (Big C was packed today!)

Yes your a minority because the rest of us understands how it works. In my country they want to open schools up teachers are protesting feeling unsafe.

Lockdowns do damage that is for sure, nobody likes them. However if you open up you get to a point where the healthcare system cant take it anymore.

This lockdown is just to slow the spread while people are being vaccinated. That is the only way forward. Believe me i don't like this anymore then you do. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Glad to hear it, those who continue dying daily in Bangkok were not as fortunate

Anyone dying of Covid is very unfortunate.  It's a dreadful pandemic affecting, and killing, people the world over, not just those of us in Bangkok.

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Anyone dying of Covid is very unfortunate.  It's a dreadful pandemic affecting, and killing, people the world over, not just those of us in Bangkok.

Yes its terrible I'm aware of that hence hence my statement for all Bangkokians to stay safe.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes your a minority because the rest of us understands how it works. In my country they want to open schools up teachers are protesting feeling unsafe.

Lockdowns do damage that is for sure, nobody likes them. However if you open up you get to a point where the healthcare system cant take it anymore.

This lockdown is just to slow the spread while people are being vaccinated. That is the only way forward. Believe me i don't like this anymore then you do. 

I don't really disagree with you, other than the so-called lockdown here is very arbitrary.  While I wouldn't have liked it, I'd have preferred to have seen a more thorough but shorter lockdown than the illogicality of what we have now.   Everyone has their own priorities, and family (for most) comes first.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Excel said:

But if they test they will find more infections so stands to reason that rather than showing to the world the real level of infections they have chosen to pretend infections do not exit by not testing. That is no different to what has happened throughout the country since this all began.

It makes you wonder why they started testing back in April.  Might have been better to have just carried on as before.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It makes you wonder why they started testing back in April.  Might have been better to have just carried on as before.

Well they have never ever tested in line with WHO recommendations so they are not likely to start now .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please look to similar population Britain. Been there T shirt etc. In January a daily death record of 1.820 people. Yes 1 day.  Now after  65.000.000 mainly AZ jab there are usually single figure deaths. Recent rise in cases to 5 or 6.000 owing to the rapid grabbing of 80% of cases by the very infectious Indian variant. So do vaccines work?? 

Testing around 800.000 per day. Plus 2 free self test kits per person weekly. At around 38 deaths in Thailand its sure that testing in paltry. These figures can easily be confirmed by googling "public health England covid daily report. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phills2k1 said:

It’s scary how many people likely think that because the (announced) numbers are constant, things can open up more, while completely ignoring the fact that as soon as that happens, things turn dire and never come back 

Things will turn dire indeed.

More dire, and more ravaging than in previous times.

Complacency and blind ignorance, not just from the population, but also Government, will cause no end of hardship. And it is the rank and file people that will suffer most

• Like 1

The Governor of Chiang Mai has confirmed that all foreigners in the province will be vaccinated. Please register as soon as you can in order for the vaccine to be reserved for you. People over 60 who have already registered will be receiving an SMS soon about their appointment.

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1401152539702169602

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It just keeps growing, and growing, and growing.  If they had the forethought to get ahead of this maybe things would not be so dire.  However, tourism will be returning soon to make up billions in baht in Phuket's Sandbox...

Unfortunately these large scale workplaces (as I'm sure many know) are very susceptible to outbreaks.  Meat processing, manufacturing, call centres, you name it.  

Once this gets in it's imperative to shut the whole place down or it is over-run.  

5 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

Please look to similar population Britain. Been there T shirt etc. In January a daily death record of 1.820 people. Yes 1 day.  Now after  65.000.000 mainly AZ jab there are usually single figure deaths. Recent rise in cases to 5 or 6.000 owing to the rapid grabbing of 80% of cases by the very infectious Indian variant. So do vaccines work?? 

Testing around 800.000 per day. Plus 2 free self test kits per person weekly. At around 38 deaths in Thailand its sure that testing in paltry. These figures can easily be confirmed by googling "public health England covid daily report. 

Think the free lateral flow has no restrictions, just recommended you test every 3 days, but can test everyday if you want. When I ordered mine in the email it just said order more when you are nearly out of them, and they turn up within 48hrs. 

Interesting article in NY Times today giving a lot of attention to spreading of virus among the Bkk HiSo, focusing on a Thonglor club called Krystal Exclusive Club

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/05/world/asia/thailand-covid-clubs.html

(link may insist on you signing up with NYT, but trying again with a different browser or from another IP address might do the trick.)

Fave quote:

“In Thai culture, we can smile and lie at the same time,” said Chuwit Kamolvisit, an anticorruption campaigner and former member of Parliament. “Maybe to survive in politics, that is OK. But when it’s Covid, this is too dangerous.”  Yeah, THAT Chuwit.  I'm impressed.

Also a certain high-ranking official, who's name I will not mention, is credited with this citizen alert that "if anyone referred to Krystal as an alternate to his offices at Government House, they could face legal consequences."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The article nails it head on and I am sure is making many people in the Government a little uncomfortable to know that the genie is out of the bottle, especially for the overseas vaccine tours these folks are taking to become vaccinated with a vaccine other than what the Government is giving.  Two completely different Thailand's if you have the money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bendejo said:

Interesting article in NY Times today giving a lot of attention to spreading of virus among the Bkk HiSo, focusing on a Thonglor club called Krystal Exclusive Club

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/05/world/asia/thailand-covid-clubs.html

(link may insist on you signing up with NYT, but trying again with a different browser or from another IP address might do the trick.)

Fave quote:

“In Thai culture, we can smile and lie at the same time,” said Chuwit Kamolvisit, an anticorruption campaigner and former member of Parliament. “Maybe to survive in politics, that is OK. But when it’s Covid, this is too dangerous.”  Yeah, THAT Chuwit.  I'm impressed.

Also a certain high-ranking official, who's name I will not mention, is credited with this citizen alert that "if anyone referred to Krystal as an alternate to his offices at Government House, they could face legal consequences."

Bit of a finger pointing write up.
No amount of sex party at Thonglor could possibly infect the prison system, factory and labor camps across the country.
It was silently brewing well before the first cocktail was spilled.