Vaccine choice: Price of Moderna set by Thai Private Hospitals' Association

webfact

19 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I suppose I could pose the rhetorical question why do you keep on trying to promote falsehoods? But we know why. You'll say anything to defend whatever comes out of China. Of course, your claim is nonsense. There is nothing inherent about a vaccine for Covid that says you should get a booster every 6 months. But apparently, there is something inherent in the current Chinese vaccines that does. They just don't elicit a strong enough long term response. The Chinese Govt is recommending 6 month boosters for them. Other nations as well. This isn't the case so far for any of the other vaccines. They elicit a far stronger immune response. It's not even clear if all of them will ever need a booster. Some might not. 

Please stop with the falsehoods, already.

The thought in Bahrain is to top off the two jabs of Sinopharm with Pfizer.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, placeholder said:

There is nothing inherent about a vaccine for Covid that says you should get a booster every 6 months.

I mean 2 injections separated by several weeks(maybe days) per year. Most vaccines require 2 sequential injections. 

The cost for each dose ranges from $3 to $37, depending on the vaccine.

Moderna, a two-dose vaccine, recently announced each dose will go for around $32 to $37.

The Pfizer vaccine, also given in two doses, is expected to cost $19.50 a dose.

Each dose for Johnson & Johnson’s one-dose vaccine will cost an estimated $10, and AstraZeneca’s two-dose vaccine could be the cheapest at just $3 to $4 a dose.

Novavax’s two-dose vaccine is estimated to be $16 a dose.

5 hours ago, billsmart said:

Yes, its a bit late for your first jab, but I just got mine, AstraZeneca, yesterday and will get my second jab three weeks from now.

I might opt for some other vaccine, like this Moderna, later on.

Second jab of AZ only 3 weeks after the first?

the manufacturer recommends 8 weeks, Anutin is pushing it to 16 weeks.

you might want to check the date on that second jab ????

• Like 1

I would be quite content with the AZ (free or not). I hadn't realised that Moderna is 4 months away. I'm a pensioner with two of the six medical conditions. My records are with Chula Hospital (my ex-employer).

I am as confused as anybody. Where did you book the AZ?

Eddy

12 hours ago, webfact said:

next year

They're gonna get stuck with vaccine.

Farang will jump on every list, get tired of waiting and go to Hong Kong or Singapore or home.

Next year. It's insulting.

I don't want RNA vaccine. In fact, I don't want any vaccine but will need it to live here and to fly.

mRNA vaccine...what possibly could go wrong lol.

Edited by kynikoi

39 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

I mean 2 injections separated by several weeks(maybe days) per year. Most vaccines require 2 sequential injections. 

Well, the chinese govt and others disagree with you. They're recommending a booster after 6 months for the Chinese vaccines.

3 hours ago, nchuckle said:

See you like to set the bar really low when judging the country’s performance. Just where are they in terms of vaccination procurement and administration.? Is that what a country like Thailand should be proud of ?

Maybe you don't know but Thailand is a developing country. There are developed countries that are behind Thailand in regards to a vaccine, Japan is one such one; I was talking to colleagues there today and J&J has not been approved yet but has in Thailand. Thailand had very few Covid cases compared to other countries too and has done very well in preventing and treating Covid.

23 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, the chinese govt and others disagree with you. They're recommending a booster after 6 months for the Chinese vaccines.

I have heard that Pfizer is not effective enough and they are recommending a booster after 6 months.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/15/pfizer-ceo-says-third-covid-vaccine-dose-likely-needed-within-12-months.html
But Sinovac looks too good for such tricks.

Edited by friendofthai
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, friendofthai said:

I have heard that Pfizer is not effective enough and they are recommending a booster after 6 months.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/15/pfizer-ceo-says-third-covid-vaccine-dose-likely-needed-within-12-months.html
But Sinovac looks too good for such tricks.

What we do know is that Pfizer is generally more effective after one dose than Sinovac is after 2.

Study in Israel shows Pfizer vaccine 85% effective after first dose: The Lancet

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/19/study-in-israel-shows-pfizer-vaccine-85percent-effective-after-first-dose-the-lancet.html

And while the CEO of Pfizer says it may require yearly boosters, the Chinese Govt and others who have used Sinovac and Sinopharm say they require boosters  6 months after vaccination.

• Like 1

You can be sure they will charge what the market will bear, plus a bit. If so many have signed up as suggested it is no surprise that prices are being set high. This is cartel pricing at work in a market where people are scared there may be insufficient supply. That can change quickly.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chrisbangkok said:

Ahh those damn dinghy guys eh , really a threat to The narrow minded peoples front of the United Kingdom of far right wingers isn't it , similar to those pesky Normans invading or maybe the Vikings , how dare they try to get into the land of milk and honey and steal our women and jobs , fill up our schools , speak those silly foreign languages , steal from our national health services ... Long live the British Empire I say . 

What a load of <deleted> I assume you are living in Thailand, and maybe a hypocritical leftie happy to be ruled by a military government presiding over rigged election where 1% of the population own 63% of the wealth. Ahhh but then you may be one of the few instead of the many.

• Haha 1

If it was me I would register everywhere free or paid and get whatever vaccine I can as soon as I can.  They all provide protection.  You can always get another shot of a more preferable vaccine down the road when they are more widely available.  The prices for the pay options will probably go down as availability goes up so it would be better to wait awhile for those anyways.

Edited by shdmn
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Just register everywhere free or not.  When you get an appointment go get it.  So what if it's not the vaccine you want.  They all still provide protection.  You can always get another shot of a more preferable kind down the road when they are more widely available although you will probably have to pay.  Those prices will probably go down as availability goes up so it would be better to wait awhile anyways.

That's a great idea. I think I'll spend a week driving around Bangkok registering at dozens of hospitals and clinics, wasting everybody's time.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A bit late isn't it? October + next year

People are getting a good effective vaccine now, and free.  77% of Brits have already had their first dose and now the younger generation are queuing for  it.

If some people insist on their own choice of vaccine, and on the whim of internet babble, then yes the international reality is a a long wait.   

Get the jab now.

7 hours ago, friendofthai said:

Spot on.   The new delta variant, ravishing India, is showing extra resisance to vaccines after one jab but after two jabs AZ, for example, is highly effective against even the delta variant. 

The duration of immunity is currently unknown for all the vaccines, although I've not heard any show a drop off yet (after recommended doses given).    

• Like 1

7 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

There you are ladies and gentlemen. That is how you will get vaccinated - eventually!

You have enough time to carve your registration details on tablets of stone and launch them through the hospital directors office window!

Or you can wander down to your local hospital now, at least if you are over 60 but maybe younger than that also.

18 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

more than the original 3000 THB they mentioned weeks ago, but the 800THB are for The top of the Government I think

Moderna was on the news India Today if I remember correctly, along with the other available vaccines it was at the top end around 20 dollars a dose, the others ranged from 8 dollars up. 

Probably USA dollars. 

But that seems to be the cost of the total vaccination, not the first jab. 

So private hospitals supposedly divide 3000 by 2 and add 800.

Is this the insurance, and what is that for,,, complications? 

Then don't forget the nursing charges for BP ect, that will push charges up to possibly 3000 per shot., If that happens I think I still would probably take the Moderna, but more choice should be available, Pfizer seems to be going along nicely here in NZ most of my old mates have had their 1st shots and they all seem okay.

The oldies are lined up here at present at vaccine centres to get their jabs..... free.... Thais as well. 

5 hours ago, Marco100 said:

Who cares what it costs  ? I pay it 5 K x jab but  Give it out now n stop this bla bla bla

Reality check- you cant give it out until you have it.   You cant have it until it is available to you.   

1900 baht is how much in US dollars?  It sounds like the government and hospitals will be making a pretty big profit on

Moderna.  How much for a Pfizer and J & J shot. same 1000 percent charge?  Just wondering. Wow, guess we all 

know the corruption of Asia, or should I just say Thailand. I wonder how much these shot will cost over in Vietnam?

Just wondering..

Geezer

Edited by Stargrazer9889
error
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Mister MXYZPTLK said:

Did you all not read this?

“It will cost 1,900 baht per jab meaning that two will cost 3,800 baht.

This price includes the vaccine, hospital charges and insurance.”

Insurance?  Insurance for WHAT?  We already are forced to have Covid Insurance required by the Government for our VISA.  What is this insurance paying for? The fact that we may get sick and DIE if the private hospitals screw up giving us the Vaccine? To pay for our long term medical care?  Or is it to pay for their MALPRACTICE Insurance in giving out the vaccine? 

I’d love to hear ANY HOSPITAL’S response to that question 

Yes you asked for me.... 

Insurance against contraindications like a blood clot?

Or am I expected to have insurance that contributes to the cost above the stated price? 

3 hours ago, Privateer said:

Or you can wander down to your local hospital now, at least if you are over 60 but maybe younger than that also.

Wont work here in Bangkok.  The private hospitals have no vaccines to register for and the ones on the list where you try and register are not taking walk-ins.  I walked into the Medpark hospital here on Rama 4 yesterday afternoon around 4pm, and was told "You have to register on-line"

• Haha 1