Government in race against time after Delta variant shown to be more severe, more transmissible

webfact

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

And waisting time, money,etc by using Sinovav and the other Chinese garbage which isn't of any use again the Delta (Indian) variant.  

Astra Zeneca is only 60% effecient.  Even that despite promises is difficult to procure because of, who knows?

2 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine ‘about 90% effective’ - real-world study | Evening Standard

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Do you deliberately not read? It says in the first paragraph that it is more transmissible AND more deadly.

UK says Delta variant of coronavirus 60% more transmissible ...

if you google it, you will find several articles that state that the delta strain is estimated to be 60% more transmissible than the alpha strain. It takes about 10 seconds, so stay focused.

Oh he read it.  But it goes against his argument so he ignores it completely

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

And waisting time, money,etc by using Sinovav and the other Chinese garbage which isn't of any use again the Delta (Indian) variant.  

Evidence from Chile is that it is effective in preventing serious illness and death.

13 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Unless Thailand is incredibly lucky (again?) this variant will rip through the population.......just look at the UK.

Thanks to Bunter not suspending flights from India (still over 100 a week coming in to Heathrow) lockdown easing has been suspended and the virus has taken off even with some many people having been vaccinated.

Agree and India not red light because BJ wanted to secure a trade deal . Today I watched Michael Gove try to defend the 4 day notice to India's suspension and he made an idiot and b/s of himself . That decision has cost UK lives , given poor health to many and cause many folks to lose their business because of the delayed easing of restrictions . If such poor negligent decisions were made by private construction companies which lead to loss of lives those at the top would face industrial manslaughter .

Bangladesh and Pakistan had fewer cases than India yet were barred first .

Today on BBC news , it was stated that the fatalities in India could well be 40 times higher than the reported numbers .

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, superal said:

Agree and India not red light because BJ wanted to secure a trade deal . Today I watched Michael Gove try to defend the 4 day notice to India's suspension and he made an idiot and b/s of himself . That decision has cost UK lives , given poor health to many and cause many folks to lose their business because of the delayed easing of restrictions . If such poor negligent decisions were made by private construction companies which lead to loss of lives those at the top would face industrial manslaughter .

Bangladesh and Pakistan had fewer cases than India yet were barred first .

Today on BBC news , it was stated that the fatalities in India could well be 40 times higher than the reported numbers .

......and as you point out Gove displayed the Tory playbook to a T....lie, lie and lie again.....just keep lying and it either hides the truth or becomes the truth.

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

However I cynically suspect that they wish to sell billions more of existing vaccines before repeating the process with the new ones. New incomers a better bet. 

Like the latest mobile or a new IOS ?

On 6/15/2021 at 9:07 AM, RobMuir said:

From the link ...

Unlike the United States, Thai people have embraced vaccinations wholeheartedly and have been registering throughout the country to get jabbed.

The USA has had a large % of the population resist... vaccinations.

Sure, article writer. That's why I'm watching a US baseball game with 52,000 fans in attendance.  Remind me of all the large gatherings in Thailand with people enjoying themselves?

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jojothai said:

The uk has already dropped to 8 weeks, about 10 days ago and there are remarks suggesting it could drop more for the over 50's.

I hope so, i am in uk waiting for second dose before returning.

The reason Thailand has extended the time to 16 Weeks between first and second jabs, is to enable some Vaccines to be procured / produced.

There is a chronic shortage of Vaccines, and this is one way to try and get people inoculated, but with only one Jab instead of the recommended Two Jabs

• Like 1

Posts with links to an unapproved YouTube site have been removed:

18) Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source.

A post commenting on moderation has now been removed. 

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wars said:

Search a bit and you will find from the official data that most hospitalizations and serious cases are from the unvaccinated, while the vaccines are preventing serious illness and death.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Surelynot said:

......and as you point out Gove displayed the Tory playbook to a T....lie, lie and lie again.....just keep lying and it either hides the truth or becomes the truth.

I do not want to deviate from the topic but I was a keen supporter of BJ initially , especially getting Brexit done but the decisions made on belated lockdowns , plus this b/s defence of allowing Indians into the Uk to deliver their potent Delta variant to the nation , makes me angry  . Yesterday he delivered  an update to the postponement of  easing of restrictions without any reference to his government's decision not to bar Indian  entry to the UK at the same time as Bangladesh and Pakistan both of which had less cases of covid per head of population .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

The reason Thailand has extended the time to 16 Weeks between first and second jabs, is to enable some Vaccines to be procured / produced.

There is a chronic shortage of Vaccines, and this is one way to try and get people inoculated, but with only one Jab instead of the recommended Two Jabs

Whereas in the UK, where I guess there are no logistics issues, the time between vaccines has been shortened. This is to get the resistance of more people up as soon as possible, in light of a more contagious variant, causing an uptick in new infections. In short I expect, to save lives......

Do we conclude then that Thailand is putting lives at risk, and is more concerned about simply getting more people vaccinated once than twice?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Whereas in the UK, where I guess there are no logistics issues, the time between vaccines has been shortened. This is to get the resistance of more people up as soon as possible, in light of a more contagious variant, causing an uptick in new infections. In short I expect, to save lives......

Do we conclude then that Thailand is putting lives at risk, and is more concerned about simply getting more people vaccinated once than twice?

It would appear that this is the case.

Tourists over Safety

31 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well, this decision was taken before it was known that the delta variant is going to need 2 vaccinations to be knocked down. It does look like the math now says it's better to get a smaller number of people vaccinated twice than a larger number vaccinated once. 

Edited by placeholder

3 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

It would appear that this is the case.

Tourists over Safety

Its money over safety. Can you imagine if they only have to purchase 50 million jabs instead of 100 million it would take to get people fully vaccinated 

Two things that would be interesting to see develop in the coming weeks/months:

1. Will India have a further wave like the recent one.

2. How much cases will rise as a result of the Delta variant. It already seems quite widespread around the world, but in a number of countries it will be evolving from a small percentage of overall cases (less than 10% in some countries) to approaching 95%+ like it already has done in the U.K. 

Countries with a poor health system and a very slow rollout of vaccines will clearly suffer more, especially when most of the the northern hemisphere starts to forget about COVID and move on. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2021 at 7:10 PM, sqwakvfr said:

I do not have direct evidence but I believe two doses of these vaccines are effective against the Delta Variant.  But I believe the timing of the 2nd dose will help or hurt the effectiveness of the vaccine:

1.  Pfizer 2 doses 3 weeks apart

2  Moderna 2 doses 4 weeks apart

*The two primary vaccines in the US are Pfizer and Moderna.  So far things are going great.  In New York the Foo Fighters are having a concert at the Madison Square Garden with 20,000 in attendance.  "Make my way home and learn to fly".  Wish I could be there.

3. Astra Zeneca 2 doses 10 weeks apart.  Thailand plans 2 doses 16 weeks apart and the Delta variant is in LOS.(???????)

Hopefully I will get my first Pfizer shot shortly.  I have not found  any articles about the effectiveness of the J&J one does vaccine against the Delta Variant.  

Pfizer and AZ were tested in the UK against Indian (Delta) variant, and one dose of either was around 30% effective in preventing symptomatic disease.

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1346

"A preprint paper released by Public Health England on 22 May showed that between 5 April and 16 May the Pfizer vaccine was 88% effective, two weeks after the second dose, against the B.1.617.2 variant and 93% against B.1.1.7, known as the UK or Kent variant.1 The AstraZeneca vaccine was 60% effective against B.1.617.2 at two weeks after the second dose and 66% against the Kent variant.

But both vaccines were only 33% effective against symptomatic disease from B.1.617.2 three weeks after the first dose, whereas they were 50% effective against B.1.1.7."

On 6/15/2021 at 11:05 PM, KhaoNiaw said:

Evidence from Chile is that it is effective in preventing serious illness and death.

Part of the problem was that people dropped their guard after only a single dose of Sinovac. As a result of the Chile experience, it's now known that a single dose of Sinovac is of no use. 

On 6/16/2021 at 2:53 PM, jacko45k said:

After the Chile experience, spacing between jabs should depend on which vaccine. If Chinese, the spacing between doses must not be extended. While not good, spacing out AZ is a complicated choice. The Indian variant is apparently more serious for young people than previous variants, so the UK government is trying to get a single jab into people aged 20+.