Government in race against time after Delta variant shown to be more severe, more transmissible

webfact

5 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

There are recent studies that indicate you need your two does for effective protection against the the Delta strain.

This was being stated weeks ago.

The clowns plan to open up appears to be based on one dose. Figure the numbers.

Doing at present say 300,000 a day on average. On target?

To get 70% done is 167 days for one dose. Nearly end of year.

They need to be doing 600,000 a day. Even the uk is not matching that on average.

Edited by jojothai
Correction
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, petermik said:

And our dear PM stated "what will be will be".......

Submarines on standby to evacuate all those that can pay...

Any idea how much the torpedo tube sleepers with guaranteed positive emergency escape will cost?........????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Neilly said:

And as to your point #3, Thailand has decided to increase the time between vaccinations...the UK is looking to drop the time to eight weeks instead of ten/twelve...I think I just read that Thailand are going to extend to sixteen weeks

The uk has already dropped to 8 weeks, about 10 days ago and there are remarks suggesting it could drop more for the over 50's.

I hope so, i am in uk waiting for second dose before returning.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s government is now in a race against time to fully vaccinate its population after the Delta variant of Covid-19 is shown to be more transmissible and more deadly in a new study.

Say hi to the fourth wave.

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The good news is that both vaccines being used mainly in the UK have good efficacy numbers after the 2 jabs...

The Pfizer and BioNTech SE shot is 96% effective against hospitalization after two doses, while the AstraZeneca and University of Oxford Covid inoculation is 92% effective,

Bloomberg.

Bad news, you would be lucky to get either vaccine in Thailand

And you would be incredibly lucky if you received both shots of the any Vaccine in Thailand.

And even then, you would possibly only have an 80 % Dosage, as 12 shots from a 10 shot vial, seem to be ok in order to save money.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, RobMuir said:

From the link ...

Unlike the United States, Thai people have embraced vaccinations wholeheartedly and have been registering throughout the country to get jabbed.

The USA has had a large % of the population resist every measure asked of the people by virologists, from mask wearing, to social distancing, to lockdowns and for vaccinations.

And unsurprisingly this has resulted in the highest death toll.

Really!! Many Thai people I speak to are reluctant/scared of getting vaccinated

5 minutes ago, peleid said:

Really!! Many Thai people I speak to are reluctant/scared of getting vaccinated

I have the same experience. but then, most of these people get their news from facebook.

2 hours ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Would like to see a link. If you have one please.

Actually 12 if I read this right...

The numbers are still small, however.

Out of 33,000 cases analysed by PHE and confirmed to be the Delta variant since February, 223 have been admitted to hospital - most were unvaccinated or had only had only dose, and 20 people were fully vaccinated.

And of 42 deaths in people with Delta variant infections, 23 were unvaccinated and seven had received only one dose. The other 12 had received two doses more than two weeks before.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57441677

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rabas said:

Relative to Wuhan:

B.1.1.1.7   UKalpha        82% more transmissible

B.1.617.1  Indiadelta    115% more transmissible

P.1        Brazilgamma 161% more transmissible

The percentage increase is relative to R0, which is exponential. 50% does not mean 50% more cases, it means many times more cases. These are not small numbers.

WIKI on SARS-2 variants

More severe and 2X hospitalizations does not suggest it is milder.

Please note that the really infectious Indian variant is B.1.617.2 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Do they actually have a vaccine that is effective against the Indian variant?  Or might all this be for nothing?

The thinking is UK seems to be that AZ is adequate after 2 doses.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, placnx said:

Please note that the really infectious Indian variant is B.1.617.2 

Thanks, that was a typo. The WIKI link shows the correct B.1.617.2.

Note, this morning Wiki showed B.1.617.2 as 115% more transmissible. It's now changed to 155%, on par with Brazilgamma  P.1, which is 161% higher.  No wonder it is spreading so quickly.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

I do not have direct evidence but I believe two doses of these vaccines are effective against the Delta Variant.  But I believe the timing of the 2nd dose will help or hurt the effectiveness of the vaccine:

1.  Pfizer 2 doses 3 weeks apart

2  Moderna 2 doses 4 weeks apart

*The two primary vaccines in the US are Pfizer and Moderna.  So far things are going great.  In New York the Foo Fighters are having a concert at the Madison Square Garden with 20,000 in attendance.  "Make my way home and learn to fly".  Wish I could be there.

3. Astra Zeneca 2 doses 10 weeks apart.  Thailand plans 2 doses 16 weeks apart and the Delta variant is in LOS.(???????)

Hopefully I will get my first Pfizer shot shortly.  I have not found  any articles about the effectiveness of the J&J one does vaccine against the Delta Variant.  

That's a race they're going to lose--especially since there is absolutely no sense of urgency.  Just leisurely talk about maybe ordering some of this vaccine sometime.  Mulling whether or not to buy some of that vaccine at some point down the road.  Planning to maybe in a few months approve this or that vaccine as soon as this and that committee carefully studies all the data.  No hurry, these things take time--and maybe another committee or two or three might be just the ticket to help speed things up.  I think way, way, way off in the future there might be a shipment of vaccine expected 'sometime before the end of the year'.  Can we get a committee formed to nail that down?  

• Like 2

They decided early on to wait for the Thai AZ to keep the money in certain hands. Then they didn't bring production online on schedule and we are facing a big problem.

Sending the kids back to school this week is going to be very risky. Not for the kids but the grandparents. The greed could blow up in their faces big time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RobMuir said:

From the link ...

Unlike the United States, Thai people have embraced vaccinations wholeheartedly and have been registering throughout the country to get jabbed.

The USA has had a large % of the population resist every measure asked of the people by virologists, from mask wearing, to social distancing, to lockdowns and for vaccinations.

Percentage of US citizens dying from covid is considerably less than in other countries . 

Take a page from the UK playbook and postpone Freedom Day for another month!

"Psst.  There is no Freedom Day in Thailand.  We're locked-down and masked until further notice." 

Well, in that case never mind.

And waisting time, money,etc by using Sinovav and the other Chinese garbage which isn't of any use again the Delta (Indian) variant.  

Astra Zeneca is only 60% effecient.  Even that despite promises is difficult to procure because of, who knows?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, RobMuir said:

From the link ...

Now it's open.

Whats Thailands excuse?

• Like 1

These threads are becoming unreadable with all the whining and moaning just looking for reasons to claim Thais can't do anything right.

Is there a forum somewhere with more adults around and more facts rather than people just looking for reasons to criticize Thailand?

Edited by shdmn
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Do you deliberately not read? It says in the first paragraph that it is more transmissible AND more deadly.

UK says Delta variant of coronavirus 60% more transmissible ...

if you google it, you will find several articles that state that the delta strain is estimated to be 60% more transmissible than the alpha strain. It takes about 10 seconds, so stay focused.

Over 39,000 delta cases in uk 42 deaths.... thats deadly to you .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hotelbri said:

Over 39,000 delta cases in uk 42 deaths.... thats deadly to you .

Please don’t put words in my mouth. The article says it’s deadly and that is what I pointed out.

you can have your argument with the people who wrote the article or who carried out the studies, not me.