foreigners and expat.

rodknock

15 hours ago, polpott said:

I flew to the UK on 22nd April and had my first dose of the vaccine the following day. Get my second dose tomorrow and then will plan my return to Thailand in mid July. Job done.

So it also took you about 4 months and the hassle of ticket buying and tests for the return flight and maybe the sandbox option first before arriving on your destination . So it is not a bad idea to just hold on and get the shot of choice end of year here (i mean for the people asking at this moment not you , you are already in the Uk) 

We are in the position of a lot of other countries. And, in fact, better than many with the prospect of vaxx.

Yeah, the big shots effed it up. But now they're scrambling to make it right. So the brainless have a chance to vote them in again.

For now, stay safe, STAY HOME. And summon up some patience. Perhaps Siam BS will actually come through. And maybe foreigners are just at the back of the bus.

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

When I registered myself & the Mrs at Pattaya Memorial back on the 15th May no mention was made about paying in advance, hopefully we're still on the list, I will call them on Monday.

Let us know. I highly doubt it. It looks as if they have shifted to a large deposit pay in advance method.

4 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

So it also took you about 4 months and the hassle of ticket buying and tests for the return flight and maybe the sandbox option first before arriving on your destination . So it is not a bad idea to just hold on and get the shot of choice end of year here (i mean for the people asking at this moment not you , you are already in the Uk) 

Up to you. I chose to be fully vaccinated asap. Up to me.

7 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

When I registered myself & the Mrs at Pattaya Memorial back on the 15th May no mention was made about paying in advance, hopefully we're still on the list, I will call them on Monday.

Sorry but the registration in May/early June was for them to inform you when actual vaccine registration was available, which they did by SMS on Thursday. But as previously posted, they also sent another message this afternoon cancelling any more sign ups  ie: their probable supply in October was fully booked.

So they may have Sinovac and AZ later (supplied from Government), but the Moderna window for October has closed. Real bummer for many people.

6 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Sorry but the registration in May/early June was for them to inform you when actual vaccine registration was available, which they did by SMS on Thursday. But as previously posted, they also sent another message this afternoon cancelling any more sign ups  ie: their probable supply in October was fully booked.

So they may have Sinovac and AZ later (supplied from Government), but the Moderna window for October has closed. Real bummer for many people.

What is interesting about this whole saga (I passed on their offer, even though one of the first in the queue) is the idea they knew in advance what their quota was. I was assuming they would just get as many on board as possible, then go to the government saying, look, we have X0000 foreigners on board, give us the doses and we'll take them off your hands. But it seems now they had already been told their quota.

Now I can't understand why all other private hospitals aren't following suit. There must be money in it, and it seems Memorial has shown the way. It's really not that difficult and there is obviously huge demand. Is the government once again strangling the supply chain? Not enough to go around? But this is in October for heaven's sake!

Anyway I do expect to see more hospitals offering jabs. So I'm going to wait and see.

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Here's another point for those who say, just fly back home.

Oh really?

Suppose that's realistic. 

Has anyone considered what a waste that is? For many thousands of expats to fly half way around the world taking trips they otherwise didn't intend to take just to get a vaccine?

Consider how much more EFFICIENT it would be for these lame excuse making embassies to simply SHIP IN the jabs.

if you can't afford a ticket home you are already in an emergency situation. Your just waiting for a curve ball, could be anything. Getting a vaccine would be low on my priorites.

I suggest looking at cheaper countries if your still healthy and mobile, for example Cambodia. Otherwise, re-establish ties to your home country if you can afford it. You can live on almost nothing in Cambodia or Vietnam if you try. Gov't building in Hanoi were around $60 a month, my real estate agent lived in one.

Take action until you have a ticket home expenses banked and don't touch the funds. If that goes it's time to bail to your home country and throw yourself into the government assistance arena if your lucky enough to be from somewhere that offers it.

Edited by DerbyDan
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

if you can't afford a ticket home you are already in an emergency situation. Your just waiting for a curve ball, could be anything. Getting a vaccine would be low on my priorites.

I suggest looking at cheaper countries if your still healthy and mobile, for example Cambodia. Otherwise, re-establish ties to your home country if you can afford it. You can live on almost nothing in Cambodia or Vietnam if you try.

Take action until you have a ticket home expenses banked and don't touch the funds. If that goes it's time to bail to your home country and throw yourself into the government assistance arena if your lucky enough to be from somewhere that offers it.

You completely misunderstood my post.  Wow. It wasn't about affording long haul travel or not. It was about the ecological waste. Geez!

Edited by Jingthing

Phuket has already taken registration for Phuket expatriate residents on work visas, and phuket is now taking registration for remaining expatriate Phuket residents:  https://ภูเก็ตต้องชนะ.com/

I registered earlier this week - but my guess is it may not be until sometime in July before 1st vaccination jab appointments.

While Phuket is planning to open on 1-July to vaccinated tourists (with no quarantine required for the tourists) I suspect initially the numbers of tourists arriving in Phuket will be small, so for local expatriates, not receiving one's vaccine until July/August, won't be a big difference in terms of risk compared to today's risk.

1 hour ago, oldcpu said:

I registered earlier this week - but my guess is it may not be until sometime in July before 1st vaccination jab appointments.

No sooner did I type the above, than I noted the following for status (just appeared this afternoon) for my vaccination jab registration.

If I read and interpret that correctly, the quantity of vaccines available in Phuket have been fully booked, and there are no additional vaccines available for foreigners (not on a work permit) in Phuket at present time.

2021-06-20-vaccination-full.jpg

On 6/19/2021 at 6:14 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

It's interesting to read how many are so desperate to be vaccinated against a virus they are extremely unlikely to contract, to the extent that they say they will spend maybe thousands of dollars to fly home, wait around for their second jab however long that might take and how much it might cost for accommodation and possible quarantine, and then to jump through all the hoops to return to Thailand to a further spell of quarantine.

Paranoid or what!

Have you considered people want the vaccine purely for the documentation to travel easier.

There's several countries that only let in fully vaccinated people already and it's likely many more will follow.

If i was never going to travel again i would not bother with the vaccine, i agree...

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Have you considered people want the vaccine purely for the documentation to travel easier.

There's several countries that only let in fully vaccinated people already and it's likely many more will follow.

If i was never going to travel again i would not bother with the vaccine, i agree...

I agree. But it's a heck of a layout and massive inconvenience unless it's for essential business travel in the near future. Even then, video calling seems to work pretty well for meetings. But up to each to decide how to spend their money, and anyway I believe that most who talk about flying home to get the vaccine have no real intention of doing so. It's a lot of money and several weeks out of their life.

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I agree. But it's a heck of a layout and massive inconvenience unless it's for essential business travel in the near future. Even then, video calling seems to work pretty well for meetings. But up to each to decide how to spend their money, and anyway I believe that most who talk about flying home to get the vaccine have no real intention of doing so. It's a lot of money and several weeks out of their life.

It's a massive inconvience i agree but financially it's only $2-3K for two trips back to uk for me, all in all not a great amount of money.

16 hours ago, oldcpu said:

No sooner did I type the above, than I noted the following for status (just appeared this afternoon) for my vaccination jab registration.

I checked the Phuket website (for vaccine booking) again this morning and status changed (yet again), and now bookings are possible.  I booked for the Astra Zeneca vaccine at a location in Phuket for Friday this week. I am age-67 so possibly that was why Astra-Zeneca was the only vaccine offered. ... I will find out soon if this will take place as booked. < fingers crossed >

On 6/19/2021 at 4:14 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

It's interesting to read how many are so desperate to be vaccinated against a virus they are extremely unlikely to contract...

i don't wear a helmet or have health insurance because i never get in accidents and i'm still under 60 blah blah blah...

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 6:14 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

It's interesting to read how many are so desperate to be vaccinated against a virus they are extremely unlikely to contract, to the extent that they say they will spend maybe thousands of dollars to fly home, wait around for their second jab however long that might take and how much it might cost for accommodation and possible quarantine, and then to jump through all the hoops to return to Thailand to a further spell of quarantine.

Paranoid or what!

Agreed. I could fly back to Hong Kong anytime (have permanent HKID ) and get Pfizer vaccine there free.(2 shots 21days apart )

BUT, not yet being vaccinated and Thailand now (to HK) in the High Risk category. I would require 21days quarantine at my own cost. 

Then the paperwork/testing nightmare of returning here and (as far as I know), requirement to quarantine AGAIN here  even though I'd be fully vaccinated !

It's a no brainer.