Third wave of Covid-19 devastates Thai hotel industry - May/June only 6% occupancy

webfact

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

I guess it's sink for a lot people then?

Yep virtually no tourism and establishments fully open with expenses to pay-out.

Prayut will not be bailing out the entire resorts areas.

Many will be going under.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Whats absurd  is the  people who say they want a job but when offered it dont accept, in their predicament Id  take  any work.

Here on Samui we usually have problems hiring staff. They all want to work in hotels. (We manage private villas.)

This month, no problems hiring three new English speaking, experienced staff. All ex-hotel workers.

The killer for me will be when the hotels start to reopen. They will be desperate for staff and I will loose all of these people.

2 hours ago, Kwaibill said:

My Thai wife finally got an inoculation appointment... August 5th. Mind you, that is a date, no shot yet.

How do they expect to "open the kingdom" with only about 6% vaccination?

Tunnel vision.

• Thanks 1

Well when are the civvy salim going to turn on the khaki salim?

Because you have those dolts to thank for everyone missing out on the early bird recovery gravy train.

I guess even rampant corruption has its limits if the cash cows go tits up and the golden geese fly elsewhere, if they fly at all...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Connected hotels will be labelled super-special ASQ or SHA Plus and be deemed "essential." 
All others will be flushed down the bowl.

Thailand will encourage well-heeled international and domestic tourist to frequent expensive and high price accommodation and business while urging low-class commoners to remain at home and work. This year the commoners will be told it's "to decrease the spread of covid."  In the next couple of years commoners will be told to stay home "to save the planet from CO2 and man-made climate change."
Private jets, first class and business class welcome.  Everyone else stay home.

For most hotels? <cue sound of toilet flushing>

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Here on Samui we usually have problems hiring staff. They all want to work in hotels. (We manage private villas.)

This month, no problems hiring three new English speaking, experienced staff. All ex-hotel workers.

The killer for me will be when the hotels start to reopen. They will be desperate for staff and I will loose all of these people.

Compensate they adequately and they'll reward you with loyalty.  What do you expect?

If only these statistics were true of an end to the covid crisis and everyone could start all over again with a clean slate and a renewed energy to get going again and build their businesses, slowly but surely...

But it isn't the end, it might not even be the middle. Those that should know what they are doing, don't, and those who want to make plans cannot because of it!

Looks like wishing and hoping is all we have!

4 minutes ago, connda said:

Compensate they adequately and they'll reward you with loyalty.  What do you expect?

They'll be gone when the hotels are open again. Pay mimimum and expect maximum effort. They wont thank you for any help you give them.

You're in the driving seat now, time to stop being trodden on by ungrateful, entitled locals.

3 minutes ago, Nsp64 said:

They'll be gone when the hotels are open again. Pay mimimum and expect maximum effort. They wont thank you for any help you give them.

You're in the driving seat now, time to stop being trodden on by ungrateful, entitled locals.

Not with that attitude.  Yep, you'll get exactly what you believe your workers to be.  "Ungrateful, entitled locals!!!"  Yeah, they'll pick up on your vibes and become just that.
There are some exception Thai employees out there.  You need to be selective on the front-end.  Then you get what you pay for.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, connda said:

I've lived here almost a decade and a half and dump about 1 million baht into the economy each year and I'm still treated like scum

Well I only qualify for 10yr however I've never been treated poorly here or in Vietnam. Travel throughout Thailand extensively.

Very strange you get treated like scum.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

These are some very low figures... Imagine the level of debts most hotels must have accumulated by now... Even when things reopen, it will be a very long road of recovery.

So true!  We just stayed at a hotel at the Golden Triangle and we were one of probably 3 or 4 guests. No TV service and limited breakfast (it was enough but there weren't any choices - usually they do a buffet). We felt so sorry for them - they're obviously operating on a skeleton staff.

Some things that Prayuth and Anutin could and should be saying to those who invested heavily in the tourism industry here, or to the poor folks dependent on tourism for a living. If they cared one iota. 

I overlooked your happiness in an attempt to make myself happy, only to realize that my happiness lies in yours. I am sorry, please forgive me. 

How do I say the words, ‘I’m sorry’ when I know that words are not enough? And how can I ask you to forgive me when I know I can’t forgive myself?

With a bruised heart and a deflated ego, with sad soul and a head hung low. I apologize to you unconditionally.

I feel ashamed for what I had done. I don’t have any excuses. I did what I did. I take full responsibility for myself and my actions. I wouldn’t pawn this off on anybody. I’m sorry it happened. And I

hurt people.

Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them.

I’m not very good at saying sorry, but I apologize for causing so much pain and loss. I could have done alot better. 

I want to say to each of you, simply, and directly, I am deeply sorry for my irresponsible and selfish behavior I engaged in. 

I believe that when you’re wrong, own it and apologize, and so I do and put it on the equivalent of my front page. 

And finally: I am sorry my existence is not very noble or sublime. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mamapotat said:

So true!  We just stayed at a hotel at the Golden Triangle and we were one of probably 3 or 4 guests. No TV service and limited breakfast (it was enough but there weren't any choices - usually they do a buffet). We felt so sorry for them - they're obviously operating on a skeleton staff.

Very sad to hear, but it must reflect the general situation throughout the country. To better days...

• Like 1

Smart parties in power, realize that by financially helping those devastated by catastrophe - they not only preserve the economy; they  increase their own popularity.

Surely, the Financial "Big Boys" realize that an unhappy general pubic is very bad for business?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Well I only qualify for 10yr however I've never been treated poorly here or in Vietnam. Travel throughout Thailand extensively.

Very strange you get treated like scum.

You have,  you just haven't noticed it beyond that false smile. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

perhaps they should start allowing alcohol in restaurants again and people would be able to enjoy a domestic holiday

it's money down the drain booking anywhere until this restriction is lifted

I agree, but that said...have been in BKK, Udon Thani, Pattaya/Jomtien, BKK and back to Udon in the past month and had no trouble enjoying beer and wine with meals out. Usually all one has to do is ask.

????????

SHHHHH! Big Nanny is watching and listening.

????????????

Edited by Skeptic7

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Well  if  you have two spare let me know prefer man and wife or two women live on site  free  accommodation electric water motorbike etc etc 18k salary for both rising to 20k IF they are any good  after a year

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

No thanks to the Songkran festival. Enjoy then but suffer now.

It's just poor planning on the part of the govt

Agree and more of the same if they open before the majority are vaccinated, including expats.

• Like 1