Moving to Bangkok, looking for good european restaurants with daily changing menus

Baz Erckens

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:
On 6/26/2021 at 11:27 AM, Surelynot said:

German bars Sukhumvit soi 11 and soi 13, 

They haven't changed their menu in years, never mind daily!

The Old German Beer Haus in Soi 11 had for years two set lunches which changed everyday.

Basically it was something from the normal menu, just a little less, but great value.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do that again whenever it will be busy again in Bangkok.

On this website is also a menu.

https://www.ogb-bangkok.com/

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

McDonald's  is NOT restaurant! It's a junk food outlet.

I’ve put it in qoation mark as a placeholder for European food. What’s the point of going to Asia only to eat food you can have back at home every day?! 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, elgenon said:

In your home country did you only eat food from one country?

I think Thais that eat only Thai food are missing out.

I'm curious, do you eat Thai food for breakfast?

No, I don’t. But the OP asking for European restaurants with daily changing menus implies that he would like to eat European food on a daily basis while in Thailand, which is absurd to me, but again, to each their own.

In regards to breakfast, I don’t eat breakfast, my first meal of the day is lunch, which used to be Thai most of the time, so if your definition of breakfast is the first meal of the say, then yes, I had Thai for breakfast. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 9:43 AM, khunjeff said:

Because he happens to want European food, just as many Thais - in Thailand - sometimes want it? Just a guess.

My point is, why fly halfway around the world only to eat food you can have at home every single day when there’s so much delicious Thai food to be had? I’m not saying he shouldn’t have European food while he is here, all I’m saying is try the local food, too! 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 2:19 AM, Baz Erckens said:

offer daily menus

I think that is a good question.

Daily menus doesn't mean that the OP has to eat every day food from the same place. But it's nice to know that when you go to a regular restaurant that they have regularly new items on the menu.

Like, instead of looking (again) through the menu: What's your special today?

• Like 1

There is no shortage.  Go to Bangkok on Google maps. Simply type "German restaurant,"  or "Swiss restaurant" or "Italian restaurant", or "French restaurant" and take a look at the results.  I'm in Bangkok, and that's exactly what I do.  Many places have daily specials on a chalkboard.  I don't know any restaurants that unfailingly change these daily, but that's not to say there aren't any.

On 6/26/2021 at 6:18 AM, Baz Erckens said:

Thank you, but I am looking only for western restaurants that have a daily set menu which I preferably can order for take away.

Indigo (French), Soi Convent. Not sure if they are still in business. Been away for 14 months. Perhaps someone else has more uptodate info.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Genix said:

Many Asians in the US eat mostly Asian food too, seen it. Nothing wrong with it, all a personal preference.

Very true......having lived abroad for 15 years with a Thai wife, in non-Asian countries, a good part of my life has been spent finding Thai restaurants.........of course, for her, the Thai food served up for western tastes is a poor substitute for Bangkok street food.......and now I have to live in Thailand.....

Much depends on your budget. Really top class European dining costs a bit. As an example, many of the 5-star hotels have excellent restaurants with regular food festivals featuring guest chefs and special menus. There are a couple of small restaurants I rate highly that are moderately priced. One is an Italian restaurant called La Vela just off Sukhumvit 71 on Soi 14. I am not sure if they are currently open (most likely not). Takeaway is not normal for them, but the family is very friendly and would probably accommodate you. They import ingredients from Europe twice a month that are difficult to source directly in Thailand, and their menu changes depending on the ingredients they have available. With some notice, especially if you want to make a booking for a large party, you can ask them to prepare a favourite set of dishes (subject to availability of ingredients). The quality is high for the price.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Much depends on your budget. Really top class European dining costs a bit. As an example, many of the 5-star hotels have excellent restaurants with regular food festivals featuring guest chefs and special menus. There are a couple of small restaurants I rate highly that are moderately priced. One is an Italian restaurant called La Vela just off Sukhumvit 71 on Soi 14. I am not sure if they are currently open (most likely not). Takeaway is not normal for them, but the family is very friendly and would probably accommodate you. They import ingredients from Europe twice a month that are difficult to source directly in Thailand, and their menu changes depending on the ingredients they have available. With some notice, especially if you want to make a booking for a large party, you can ask them to prepare a favourite set of dishes (subject to availability of ingredients). The quality is high for the price.

And the other one is?

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 4:29 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

And the Paragon  center  and the nearby Poenchit  mall and the enormous center on the  corner. I like the grill at the top of that hotel  near soi 4. It has a pub in the  basement. Harvesters  I think.

The Huntsman is the pub in the basement.  The Rib Room is the rooftop grill.  Haven't been there for a few years now but it was always superb.

On 6/28/2021 at 7:01 PM, globalspark said:

I use to often frequent a place at soi 22 Bei Otto which was good Not cheap but lunch menu ok.Many  good restaurants in Bangkok but always changing so hard to recommend.

Yes, but I was told Bei Otto is actually not the best anymore. It used to be top class but has degraded heavily. I was told G's is fine.

There used to be a great Swiss restaurant behind Robinson on the little sub-soi between 17 and 19.

That place, I think, was exactly the kind of place the OP was looking for. Good basic menu supplemented always with a list of daily (European) specials .

They also had a decent bakery attached. The people who ran it clearly cared about the food they produced. I wish I had gone more when they were around.

now a pretty average Mexican restaurant occupies the location, sad!

• Sad 1

BTW I think Bei Otto is on a bit of a comeback. I agree it went through a really bad patch 3/4 years ago , however I gather the owners changed back to European, and things seem to have improved.
before the recent lockdown I was becoming a bit of a regular there, it’s got some of the old magic back.

I would also make a similar point about Wine Connection, used to be great then it changed ownership and went downhill rapidly. Now it seems to be coming back strongly as evidence by the new branch on Soi 11 , good management making a difference.

• Like 2

If you want live exclusively on Swiss and German food in Bangkok, I would think twice before moving here. Practically all western restaurants serve only "signature food" i.e. relatively well known dishes no small family style restaurants with home cooked feeling here. No menu rotation you have a menu and choose from it, so far I didn't see German meal plan offers in BKK, unless you're into some fancy diet like paleo or keto or some other. The city is very big and traffic is bad so you can't go to different restaurants easily for take away. If you must be here and you have limited choices what to eat the best option would be to look at Foodpanda, Grabfood or Lineman online food delivery services and see if you have there anything you like.

One more thing if you plan to consume only western food I think your budget for food should be at least around 1000USD/month.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...