Buri Ram imposes 14-day anti-COVID-19 quarantine on all arrivals from Bangkok

Jonathan Fairfield

680B65A6-1C7C-4612-91CA-E00F54224841.jpeg

Thailand’s northeastern province of Buri Ram has taken preventives measure in preparation for the possible arrival of workers from Bangkok and its vicinities, following the closure of construction worker housing there, by mandating that all arrivals will be subject to 14-days of local quarantine.

Provincial and health officials, led by Governor Tatchakorn Hatthathayakul and Dr. Pichet Puedkhunthod, the provincial health chief, held an urgent meeting on Friday to discuss measures to respond to an order by the CCSA to close all construction worker housing facilities in Bangkok, Samut Prakan, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani Samut Sakhon and in the four southern provinces of Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla.

Dr. Pichet told the media, after the meeting, that several recent COVID-19 infections had been traced to arrivals from theseareas, who didn’t know that they were already infected or who did not follow health safety measures and had engaged in social activities.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/buri-ram-imposes-14-day-anti-covid-19-quarantine-on-all-arrivals-from-bangkok/

Logo-top-.png

The perceived problem is a reality. Two families very near my location have been found to have been infected by people returning or visiting from Bangkok or other construction site "hot spots".

One of those families were regular vendors ina local market and in the case of the other family they were happily socializing with extended family and  friends.

If Buriram or any other Province wants to impose such a quarantine it is difficult to understand how enforcement will be achieved other than depending on local informants.

Nor is the importation of potential carriers eliminated in the first instance.

Surely the most effective policy would be to detain ALL the employees in the construction sites rather than just the hapless migrant workers and let construction continue as was done with factories?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

possible arrival of workers from Bangkok and its vicinities, following the closure of construction worker housing there

In another thread it says that the construction sites are closing but the workers' camps are being sealed off.  Workers should not be able to invade Buriram.

"construction sites in the six areas will be shut down and workers' camps will be sealed off to contain clusters."

1 hour ago, losername said:

workers' camps are being sealed off

The authorities in Buriram (and eventually other provinces) know that the people here don't have the self-discipline, inclination or ability to seal a jam jar, let alone hundreds of building camps. 

Just look at the border fiasco earlier this year. 

I fear we may see more provinces follow suit soon. 

Edited by djayz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

Yes, I like to see the sick buffalos in person before I hand over my millions of baht.

I recall being there and in the town centre, for what it is worth, decided to get a much needed haircut... I might have garbled the instructions in Thai, but ended up looking like a prisoner of war after a delouse. 

• Haha 1

Maybe if the government would put some laws in place forcing construction companies to provide humane living conditions for the migrant workers, those poor people wouldn't be living in conditions that expose them to the virus as much.

Since these large companies pull the strings of the govt stooges, I guess that will never happen. Very sad seeing how they are forced to live.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, actonion said:

Does anyone know if this quarantine is still applicable for  those entering Buriram" from Chonburi"  province  too ??

Yes - from the original linked article -

The 14-day local quarantine applies to people arriving in BuriRam from Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakan, Bangkok, Chachoengsao, Chon Buri, Trat, Nakhon Pathom, Pattani, Phetchaburi, Songkhla, Samut Sakhon, Saraburi, Yala and Narathiwat, said Dr. Pichet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thailand’s northeastern province of Buri Ram has taken preventives measure in preparation for the possible arrival of workers from Bangkok and its vicinities, following the closure of construction worker housing there, by mandating that all arrivals will be subject to 14-days of local quarantine

Wasn't Buriram one of the 10 favoured provinces to allow foreigners in after their 14 day stay in Phuket?