4.7 million AstraZeneca doses delivered in Thailand, 1.3 million more due this week

snoop1130

"Delivery of Siam Bioscience's production of Astra Zeneca outside of Thailand will be made in early June."

Is this the recent sale of 16 million AZ doses to The Philippines?

In any case, why not prioritize Thailand for AZ exports so that vaccine dose distribution INSIDE of Thailand can be accelerated more quickly. Imagine for July distribution of far more than 10 million doses, ie., 20 million. Covid  19 will not pause hospitalizations and deaths so long as only a large part of Thai "residents" remain unvaccinated.

Or is the reputational value of Thailand reams to become the Hub of Vaccines in ASEAN more important? 

• Like 1

Just now, bradiston said:

This is the best news for a long time. Not just because it seems the production line is rolling now, but because AZ is actually talking after weeks of silence. Ok, they probably need a lot more than 10m per month, but it's a great start.

I've no axe to grind here but FYI I was checking some facts on AZ in Thailand the other day and came across a few updates on the AZ Thailand website, they shouldn't be blamed if news outlets choose not to report it, "weeks of silence" is not correct.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

I've no axe to grind here but FYI I was checking some facts on AZ in Thailand the other day and came across a few updates on the AZ Thailand website, they shouldn't be blamed if news outlets choose not to report it, "weeks of silence" is not correct.

I searched too and found nothing on numerous sites. I even rang them here in Thailand and got number unavailable, so rang the UK head office. The guy listened attentively as I explained how potentially damaging the current situation and lack of updates or any sort of information was to AZ. He thanked me for my comments and said someone would get back to me. As has been observed by another poster, the origin of the AZ shots here is shrouded in mystery. I was cheered by yesterday's announcement as it seemed to draw a line under the previous ambiguous announcements, and state in plain English the plan for the rest of the year. Even if it falls short, at least it gives us some figures to track. Maybe!

A final note. AZ originally approached the Taiwanese government to discuss them producing the vaccine for SE Asia, but AZ were requesting 300,000,000 doses, which the Taiwanese said was beyond their capacity. They offered 100,000,000 but seems AZ weren't happy with that. Now Taiwan is experiencing serious supply problems with very few of their citizens vaccinated. AZ seems to be at the heart of many supply chain fxxx ups. Bad management, bad decisions.

Edited by bradiston
Update
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

Is this the recent sale of 16 million AZ doses to The Philippines?

So they selling 16 million doses of AZ to Philippines while continuing to purchase the low grade sinovac from China for use in local population.

What's the logic? ???? 

10 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

What a misleading headline.

it implies an additional 4.7 million doses have just arrived. In fact, that is the historical cumulative figure that have been delivered

and the additional 1.3 million doses are due, but not received.

so what was the point of the story other than to mislead and try to make the government look good?

Well, it does say 

"This week’s delivery will bring the total of AstraZeneca doses delivered in June to six million as planned. 10 million more doses are expected each month until November and 5 million more in December."

ie in June, but whether they were all locally produced they don't say. And it's also strange, but typical, that those deliveries weren't given the usual fanfare. I think we only heard about the 1.8m back on June 2nd, or thereabouts. It would certainly help if the relevant authorities (MoPH?) could give regular, consistent updates on deliveries, not just the occasional self congratulatory ones.

42 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Oooh, be still my heart. Three press releases, all covered extensively in the local press.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/country-sites/thailand.html

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Oooh, be still my heart. Three press releases, all covered extensively in the local press.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/country-sites/thailand.html

All old news with no reference to actual production levels or delivery schedules. Just company PR. Reading these is what prompted me to ring AstraZaneca. BTW I did claim during the call there were 200,000 expats here in Thailand who were also keen to know what the heck was going on. I hope none of my co-expats objects! 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

What a misleading headline.

it implies an additional 4.7 million doses have just arrived. In fact, that is the historical cumulative figure that have been delivered

and the additional 1.3 million doses are due, but not received.

so what was the point of the story other than to mislead and try to make the government look good?

Isn't it just..... and where have they all gone? Total Thai vaccinations are what 8 million so far..... but weren't there other AZ supplies, and millions from China?

Everyone I know (expats over 60) in Phuket ,who registered have either received their appointment dates or had their first AZ jab. I had mine yesterday and many there were also clearly under 60 too. Plus migrant workers of all ages were being vaccinated too. 

Just now, eyup said:

Everyone I know (expats over 60) in Phuket ,who registered have either received their appointment dates or had their first AZ jab. I had mine yesterday and many there were also clearly under 60 too. Plus migrant workers of all ages were being vaccinated too. 

Yes a focused effort to get everyone in the sandbox done before the kids come to play. I expect my GFs mother (84yo) is in the potential collateral damage column, along with Pattaya Expats.

43 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Well, it does say 

"This week’s delivery will bring the total of AstraZeneca doses delivered in June to six million as planned. 10 million more doses are expected each month until November and 5 million more in December."

ie in June, but whether they were all locally produced they don't say. And it's also strange, but typical, that those deliveries weren't given the usual fanfare. I think we only heard about the 1.8m back on June 2nd, or thereabouts. It would certainly help if the relevant authorities (MoPH?) could give regular, consistent updates on deliveries, not just the occasional self congratulatory ones.

Yes, the first paragraph made it clear. That’s why i said, “what a misleading headline” and not, what a misleading first paragraph.

some people just scan headlines.

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, eyup said:

Everyone I know

But do you know everyone?

And really? Everyone you know has had a shot or two? Calling BS on these sorts of blanket claims. It's either "everyone I know has", or "everyone I know hasn't". It's never, "OK I know a few people and some of them had managed to get a shot".

2,609,662 people have been fully vaccinated, 2 shots of something.

So that's about 5.2% of the stated goal of 50 MM.

• Like 1