Thailand buys 5 million doses of Moderna coronavirus vaccine

snoop1130

10 hours ago, fangless said:

Why?

This should be for the benefit of the general public and supplied by the Government at no cost to the public

What the "$£$$%" has private hospitals got to do with this?

The government wants to shift the blame to the private hospitals but the private hospitals still have to order threu the government( that's my understanding) . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, banglay said:

SOLD OUT

Many of the hospital networks pedaling Moderna have said they are over-subscribed.

That was based on free, no committment registrations, basically expressing interest. Obviously many people registered with mutliple hospitals.

Now they are winnowing that down to real, paying customers by getting them to fork over enough cash to cover their costs to actually throw into the GPO trough.

Once the trough is full the GPO will place an order with Zuellig, after taking their "commission".

There will be blood.

There are over 70 million living in Thailand the dribs and drabs of 1,2,3 now 4 million vaccines being ordered are way below what is required there’s a minimum of 150million vaccines required when will the PM and his cronies realise that this is the requirement to get this country back on its feet ,but wait a minute they’ve all had there jabs not one but just two while the rest of us patiently wait hoping that Covid will blow away with the wind as a certain minister stated 

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

That's not true , The Thai government has reserves  of about 251784.34 USD Million and the ability to borrow.

And tourism  , though  significant, comprises only  21% of GDP as of 2019

Yes and a big part of that money is being pocketed by mr P and mr A for a while already and that's exactly why they are so slow in ordering and saying they have only X amount while in treu they should have many more already at this time . Don't worry Thailand has everything under controle that's what they have been saying from the beginning while pocketing a !@#$ load of money at the same time . And now willfully slowing things down hoping it will blow over so all that money that's missing won't be missed . + mr P and mr A are happy that the virus is raging because as soon as the virus is contained there will be bigger MOBS then ever demanding them to !@#$% off !!! 

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

Why don't you let us buy our own vaccines, the USA has plenty of surplus vaccines.

Great idea.  Imagine ordering your vaccine on Amazon, with a “We can deliver to Thailand in four days”.  From UPS to Kerry to your door, much like pizza delivery—only in a frozen package.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Why have they been waiting so long when people have been dying every day?

Long time since I used DHL, but ain't it possible to send virtually anything from X to Y anywhere on the planet within 24 to 48 hours????? 

How many die between now and the end of the year????

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

While this can be interpreted as a sign of progress, amongst the laggards, why was this not done last year? Or months ago? Why only now, and why such late delivery? Are they scared of the cost?

Gotta find a way to pay for the subs and the moon shot  somehow- this whole fiasco is a great little earner for a few top Thai people - to h**l with the unwashed peasants and dirty foreigners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The first 5 million is sold out it will be used as BOOSTER for all government leaders, family and friends then those who are willing to pay for it.

What happen to the 30 million USD given to the Government?  With that money any charge should be much less?????

• Like 2

It is interesting how we continue to get fake news here. Those of us who have already registered for Moderna in 48 hours the THG window was open (with the whole process in Thai) got an email yesterday confirming the cost will be 1,700 baht x 2 providing you do not have any medical complications. We have not been asked to pay yet though. It was explained to us that the private hospitals plan to have a procurement Memorandum of Understanding in place with the Moderna agent by August (and to collected down payments from registered people by then) but that they would order AFTER that date.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

The first 5 million is sold out it will be used as BOOSTER for all government leaders, family and friends then those who are willing to pay for it.

What happen to the 30 million USD given to the Government?  With that money any charge should be much less?????

And what happened to the one million AZ vaccines Japan donated??? Or did I dream, that I read that?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

That's not true , The Thai government has reserves  of about 251784.34 USD Million and the ability to borrow.

And tourism  , though  significant, comprises only  21% of GDP as of 2019

Sounds like a serious case of Dianne Abbott!

8 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Yes and a big part of that money is being pocketed by mr P and mr A for a while already and that's exactly why they are so slow in ordering and saying they have only X amount while in treu they should have many more already at this time . Don't worry Thailand has everything under controle that's what they have been saying from the beginning while pocketing a !@#$ load of money at the same time . And now willfully slowing things down hoping it will blow over so all that money that's missing won't be missed . + mr P and mr A are happy that the virus is raging because as soon as the virus is contained there will be bigger MOBS then ever demanding them to !@#$% off !!! 

Why they do the things they o?, you will have to ask them.

I just reacted to the assertion that Thailand does not have the funds to pay for the vaccine. and would need tourist to come to raise the funds. Thailand has reserves, can issue bonds and raise more funds, and is not a one trick pony relying on tourism exclusively. Tourism is a major component but not the only one.

I am not making a value judgment one way or another.    

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Why have they been waiting so long when people have been dying every day?

There is a huge difference between "waiting" and availability, there are those that want to control the market. Nine months down the line and the major players still don't want to agree to the waiver proposal.

Under World Trade Organization (WTO) rules, the organisation can invoke a waiver of certain IP rights on technologies that could help combat an exceptional global crisis, such as the COVID-19 pandemic.3 To this end, on 16 October 2020 India and South Africa presented a proposal to the WTO Trade-Related Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) Council. 

https://www.europeanpharmaceuticalreview.com/article/156412/waiving-covid-19-vaccine-intellectual-property-rights/

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Why they do the things they o?, you will have to ask them.

I just reacted to the assertion that Thailand does not have the funds to pay for the vaccine. and would need tourist to come to raise the funds. Thailand has reserves, can issue bonds and raise more funds, and is not a one trick pony relying on tourism exclusively. Tourism is a major component but not the only one.

I am not making a value judgment one way or another.    

Well i didn't use the word tourisme in my whole statement so don't know why you do . Are you a bit scared to call the duck a duck when it walks like one and kwacks like one ?? (And again , i am not using the word tourisme. Just using names)

Is this on top of the repirted 5 million doses that was reported over a week ago?

Thaiger June 24th

"The Government Pharmaceutical Organisation said that only 5 million Moderna Covid-19 vaccines would be available at private hospitals, half as many as the 10 million total figure expected. The government of Thailand is giving free vaccinations using the Sinovac and AstraZeneca vaccines, while they had approved Johnson & Johnson, Modena, and Pfizer vaccines for private use."

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Well i didn't use the word tourisme in my whole statement so don't know why you do . Are you a bit scared to call the duck a duck when it walks like one and kwacks like one ?? (And again , i am not using the word tourisme. Just using names)

You might not have used the word tourism, but the person I was replying to originally did.   

20 minutes ago, Molly Malone said:

And what happened to the one million AZ vaccines Japan donated??? Or did I dream, that I read that?

Scheduled to arrive 9 June July 2021 per Japanese authorities.

8 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Is this on top of the repirted 5 million doses that was reported over a week ago?

No.

No orders have been placed. They're scrounging up the cash for an order.

Maybe 4 MM first, then 1 MM, then 5 MM. If that first order arrive before February 2022 I'd be shocked. Maybe if an 'expediting' fee is paid, faster delivery can be "arranged"/

Edited by mtls2005

Just more slow, slow, slow feet dragging.  Another useless statement thrown out to make it look like they are doing something.  I've lost count on how many of these we have had.  We're buying this.  We've ordered that.  We're procuring this.  We're in the process of getting that.  And, as usual,  total vagueness as to when they will arrive--but always sometime later in the year--or next year.   Meanwhile, nothing NOW.  5 million doses is peanuts, by the way.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

THey buy again?? how many times have they bought already and everytime the timeline changing. But from the 1st of July we are asked to register and pay in advance.... I don't think so.. Now October has changed again???

What are your alternatives ?

12 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

If the urgency of response to the declared threat of the Covid-19 is genuine why is the medical technological capacity of the world being suppressed in terms of vaccine production to answer the problem ?

It is? Where did you read that? There are locations throughout the world that are churning the vaccines out by the millions.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It is? Where did you read that?

~ 200 baht for AZ

~ 600 baht for Sinovac

per government budget slides.

Expect there are "expediting" and "handling" "fees" for Sinovac, whihc increase the "cost".

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Dazz1 said:

I thought the moderna vacine was available at private hospitals from october at a price of 3,400 baht. Glad i didnt pay in advance. Monkey System

I paid 3,800 baht two weeks ago at Udon Thani Bangkok Hospital.  A bit more but at least we're in line.  Hopefully it actually gets here in October.  Probably not.