Thailand reports new daily record of 57 coronavirus deaths; 5,533 new cases

webfact

15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Seemingly a pretty good case study against the notion Thai authorities have been mulling lately of expanding home quarantine for asymptomatic cases.

I would have to agree with you on this and also another reason that folks will say that schools and daycare centers are rife for the spread of Covid. If memory serves me correctly this is now the third daycare facility to have a cluster.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe they had a pertinent graphic on that today showing the changes in the numbers of cases in the various 71 non-BKK region provinces in recent days, as follows:

2021-07-01g.jpg.2dafc65671c4001f56ad7c6a2c93ba4c.jpg

If I understand the TH titles correctly, it's showing the numbers of provinces with each category of case numbers since June 18... And as the bottom green portion shows, the number of those provinces with no daily cases went from 20 on June 18 down to just 4 today.

The top dark tan section shows the growth in the number of non BKK region provinces with 20 or more daily cases from 11 on June 18 to 26 provinces as of today.

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/355548016063529/?type=3

That's quite good once you get your head around what it's actually showing.  Shame it doesn't go back as far as April.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

June and the infection rates have showed an upward trend, the Sinovac vaccine shows little efficacy against the new variants, especially with only one jab.

End of the year before any good stuff gets here..

Think you'll find there's been an upward trend since mid April. I wonder why?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

I saw a video today where people in full hazmat were leading 3 and 4 year old kids off a bus to go into isolation away from their parents for 14 days...absolutely traumatic for those poor kids and the parents (although sadly not as traumatic as we may find it in the west as parents).

Taking my kids or anyone i know for a Covid test would be my absolute last resort under those circumstances.

Tragic for sure but a link would be nice. Was this in Thailand?

2 hours ago, Happyman567 said:

Question about covid. I see the numbers are bad and it is not good but my question is How many people died from the flu( Not Covid)  in Thailand in the last week or has Thailand become like the rest of the world and there is no more flu I actually had the flu in January and I tell u what it bloody nearly killed me It was bad but it was not covid because i got tested

I think that you will find that globally flu infections would have decreased because of masks and sanitizing practices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, close contact spreads the virus. So stop all close contact.  I don't see restaurants as being much worse than people being packed together on the BTS or a bus, or while shopping at the market.  What would be the acceptable number for you to open things up? 

Try and eat with your mask on.

10 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

I saw a video today where people in full hazmat were leading 3 and 4 year old kids off a bus to go into isolation away from their parents for 14 days...absolutely traumatic for those poor kids and the parents (although sadly not as traumatic as we may find it in the west as parents).

Taking my kids or anyone i know for a Covid test would be my absolute last resort under those circumstances.

What was the point where parents cant teatch they own children anymore!? Only goverment or schools can do that one!? Even i think im "young" i have get much education from home! Actualy much more than from school. Maybe we have to do job what have given to us  be as parents and do job what we have to do anyway! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Just wait a couple of weeks, around Mid July when infections of the Delta type start showing around the country due to the mass migration from Bangkok internment camps.

Before that. Now I would suggest.

Reading the news on covid in Thailand is like watching a propane can tossed in the fire.   Expansion of testing now would only make the PM look worse.  They did do a good job at hiding the fact that inaction from greed at letting songkran go on caused most of this.   Crackdowns on the porous borders are only for show because I think some higher ups have a stake in the border trade.   Drug and gambling busts to distract. 

Edited by Elkski

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Man faces charges in Buriram for failing to report for COVID-19 screening

Health officials, in Thailand’s northeastern province of Buriram, have filed charges against a man, who recently returned to his home in the province from Bangkok and refused to report to the authorities as legally required.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/first-thai-man-charged-in-buriram-for-failing-to-report-for-covid-19-screening/

Well done, put him in jail for 10 days, fine him 5,000 baht. Too bad they won't pursue manslaughter charges if anyone he infected died of covid-19.

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, close contact spreads the virus. So stop all close contact.  I don't see restaurants as being much worse than people being packed together on the BTS or a bus, or while shopping at the market.  What would be the acceptable number for you to open things up? 

Just answer these two quick questions for me please:

1. Are people wearing masks on public transportation?

2.  Are people wearing masks when they're eating/drinking?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Happyman567 said:

so what yeah   just saying we should be rejoying  no more flu  ha ha ha no need to vaccinate against the flu anymore there is none But calm your anger and keep talking about covid Its great

Most countries are continuing to vaccinate against the flu, as it will be still be around.

I am not sure that your point is that we should be happy about low flu infections this year.

22 minutes ago, phills2k1 said:

1.  Yes.

2. No (as stated earlier, how would you expect people to eat with a mask on?).

55 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Can't be done.  I suspect mask wearing is here to stay, but not while eating.

Exactly. Mask off can = virus spread. Mask wearing isn't here to stay if people with brains dealt with the situation properly. I've said this before pre-pandemic some Japanese people wore masks. Why? Because they had a cold and didn't want to give it to anyone else. That's where the world needs to get to. Unfortunately the world is where it's at because morons run it and it's full of morons.

Edited by dinsdale

39 minutes ago, phills2k1 said:

Do you think that by shutting down dine in is going to stop the same people from eating in close proximity with others in their homes?Do you really think it makes much difference to the final outcome?

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, phills2k1 said:

So then you can see the difference between having public transportation running and allowing people to eat in restaurants, right?

So the dinner car on the train would be ok then.....

5 hours ago, Exploring Thailand said:

I certainly would. Despite the massaging of the figures, Phuket is set to have one one of the highest per capita vaccination rates on the planet. Entry is rigorously controlled.  Beaches are quiet.  Hotels are cheap. Social-distancing is easy. I'd prefer that they'd used exclusively AstraZeneca, but, even so,   if I were stuck in the UK now, I'd jump at the chance to go to Phuket.

Likewise. I would go without a second thought. Unfortunately my country is not one of the 66.

5 hours ago, kynikoi said:

10000b min in Covid testing expenses.

Upon entry, test positive and go to hospital jail. Enjoy.

I have the money. That's not an issue. Still a better deal than ASQ.

5 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Good luck, it is an informed choice. I am sure you will find a few others to enjoy your holiday with. Most others have common sense and can see just how dangerous it can all end up being.

I hope that you would have all the health insurance and documents that are required. Just in case.

I would like it to playing a game of Russian roulette.????

People must have insurance and documents in order to get the CoE.

Not really seeing the danger myself. As a fully vaccinated person in a place with a high level of vaccination, and very low case numbers I'd take my chances. 

A lot of people have lived through places with far worse C19 than Phuket, or Thailand. They're happy to get on with life, taking basic precautions of course. Walking around in their hometown may pose more of a risk!

BTW, in well aware that vaccination doesn't stop you getting C19, or transmission. But it does vastly reduce your chance of serious illness and death, greatly lower your chance of passing on the virus. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Do you think that by shutting down dine in is going to stop the same people from eating in close proximity with others in their homes?Do you really think it makes much difference to the final outcome?

I can't believe we're so far into this and I'm still rendered speechless by so many people so often.  But to answer your question, yes, it truly makes that much of a difference

1) There's already been countless studies done on the dangers of dining in. I posted one earlier that was just a drop in the bucket. In case you missed it, here you go: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2020/12/11/korean-restaurant-coronavirus-airflow-study/

People were infected 15 feet away from someone who was asymptomatic. And this was likely the original strain

2)  You realize that restaurants include more people than just the group that's dining there, right?  You have other tables, the servers, the back of house etc

3) Again, just using logic, when you have a virus that's incredibly contagious an spreads through people breathing, obviously any situation where you have people staying indoors for an extended period without masks is going to be dangerous

I get that you want all of this to not be true.  That if you just bury your head in the sand to facts and logic, then you can go on about your life as if nothing is happening.  But that's just not how it is

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, phills2k1 said:

So then you can see the difference between having public transportation running and allowing people to eat in restaurants, right?

Do you really think mask wearing makes that much difference? Covid won't be disappearing for years, so I guess if you're that cautious, restaurants will have to remain closed forever then, as people can't eat with them on! 

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Sad 2

Just now, phills2k1 said:

When people are actually vaccinated, then restaurants can be open like normal.  It's really not that difficult to understand

I know your head is perpetually in the sand, but you do realize that the majority of the world that's suffered through a real covid wave had closed dine-in eating, right? 

I do agree that vaccination is the long-term solution, but I very much doubt Thailand will achieve full vaccination for a long time, if ever. Mask wearing (effective or not) will be required here for a long, long time.  So you may as well just shut down the restaurant industry, and the bars and clubs for that matter.

• Sad 1