Not again! Phuket Sandbox tourists being gouged by taxis - one way rides 1,000 baht+

webfact

7 hours ago, mancub said:

Time to arrange for an airport bus link............................see how that goes ! Oh wait !

6 hours ago, calbts2 said:

I always rent a car when I go to Phuket as you can usually get a rental for around the same price as a short one way tuk tuk ride. It really is common sense. Don't know why more people just do this instead of supporting the taxi mafia. It is often fun coming out of the airport terminal and seeing the looks on those taxi mafia driver faces when I ignore their calls and head to the car rental counter. I will pay 1000 baht for a nice one day car rental vs 1000 for a one way trip to a hotel.

why not use Grab?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Others chipped in with tales of 800 baht (to Patong), 900 baht (to Karon) and even 1,350 baht rides. The last of these was one way from the airport to Kata Noi that the poster said would normally be 600 baht. 

Well, I know everybody loves to rubbish Phuket. Yes, Phuket taxis/tuk tuks are more expensive than anywhere else in Thailand. I don't like it either.

Those prices would be fairly ordinary in a Western country. Airport to Patong would take 50-60 minutes, and the charge is 800 baht, or $25. How much would you expect to pay for an hour-long taxi ride in the US/UK/Europe?

Having said that, it's substantially more than I've paid in the past. Haven't been ripped off so far by the Phuket meter taxis, I assume they are still parked outside the airport?

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, calbts2 said:

I always rent a car when I go to Phuket as you can usually get a rental for around the same price as a short one way tuk tuk ride. It really is common sense. Don't know why more people just do this instead of supporting the taxi mafia. It is often fun coming out of the airport terminal and seeing the looks on those taxi mafia driver faces when I ignore their calls and head to the car rental counter. I will pay 1000 baht for a nice one day car rental vs 1000 for a one way trip to a hotel.

Great idea! So you pay 1000 baht, hire a car and drive to your hotel.

Then the next day, the car hire people send someone to come and collect your car free of charge! What an amazing service! Is it Budget or Avis that runs this incredible deal? I will go and check the prices now!

Edited by nkg

51 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I suggest a particularly harsh punishment, for those trying to profit off of a plague. How about a 10,000 baht (on the spot fine) penalty to be paid immediately. You do not have the cash we take your tuk tuk. And one warning. On the second offense, we sieze your tuk tuk, and every day we invite the locals and the tourists to an area, where we detonate your vehicle. Demolish it. We warned you. You did not listen. Bad boy. You are welcome to come down, and watch us blow it up. No problem with that. And tell your friends.

You've been around a long time but you've forgotten that doing that might upset the VIPs, the untouchables, that run the taxis.

• Haha 2

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

Bizarre comment. Phuket isn't a Western country and the same prices do not apply. And you miss the point. In Thailand such pricing is illegal (no meter) and excessive when compared to prices elsewhere in Thailand. Just because prices might be higher in countries where people are paid 10xmore doesn't make Thai taxis on Phuket cheap.

Whose point did I miss? Have you ever been to Phuket? What pricing are you claiming is illegal again? The airport "limos" that charge 800 baht to go to Patong? 95% of the vehicles at Phuket airport don't have a meter - only the meter taxis, funnily enough.

I never claimed that Phuket taxis were cheap. But Thais aren't obliged to make everything super cheap so that you are happy.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, nkg said:

Well, I know everybody loves to rubbish Phuket. Yes, Phuket taxis/tuk tuks are more expensive than anywhere else in Thailand. I don't like it either.

Those prices would be fairly ordinary in a Western country. Airport to Patong would take 50-60 minutes, and the charge is 800 baht, or $25. How much would you expect to pay for an hour-long taxi ride in the US/UK/Europe?

Having said that, it's substantially more than I've paid in the past. Haven't been ripped off so far by the Phuket meter taxis, I assume they are still parked outside the airport?

Agree as Phuket prices go. I posted earlier that as part of my SHA+ hotel booking they were obliged to arrange a taxi for me from the airport to hotel (Patong area). They charged me 700 Baht for that, less than what I would have paid a few years ago.

Pre Covid times there was always a big board (still there as of 2nd July) next to the taxi booking stalls just outside arrivals anyway. The board had fixed prices for various types of taxis from airport around the island. You paid for that prior to getting in the taxi. No problems.

• Like 1

THB 800 to Patong Palmyra Resort, one way from the airport.

And I cannot choose, because I am obliged to contract with the hotel the transportation service from the airport, if I want to request the COE.
Only 490 bahts, same service to same hotel in "Hello Phuket" App.
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Use the airport bus as it is far safer and cheaper. If that's not convenient then use Grab, which is also safer and cheaper.

But you can not use it for Phuket Sandbox.

16 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You are assuming facts that are not in evidence.

The original Post said nothing about $800 b from the airport to Patong.

800 b from the airport to Patong is a normal and reasonable price that I have paid for years for a private drive company.

It does not say in the OP who knows but it may have been from Karon, which would in fact be a huge rip off.

Phuket has traditionally been known for big Taxi mafia and rip offs even the government acknowledges it.

Also, comparing anything here to western pricing is ridiculous.

I think you are right. I also assumed it was 800 from the airport, but that would not be the case now.

The sandbox arrivals cant use a standard taxi from the airport. Transport will have to be booked with their SHA+ hotel package.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Yes, there is a problem with the drivers, but the main fault that the fares just don't reflect reality, is AOT (Airport's Authority of Thailand).

They auction the taxi concession and pull in so much profit, it leaves the official taxi operators struggling to cover their costs and make a profit.

If AOT became less greedy, the taxi-operators would have no choice but to pass some of those savings to the customer.

As to the black taxis, they just match the "official rate", or more and make a nice living with none of the true costs.

They still could refuse buying the licences and the AOT would sit on them...

Patong to Airport is THB 600.- and not a single Setang more.

3 hours ago, connda said:

So Mr. PM.  Why can't you shut them down.  Why are you and the RTP so impotent when it comes to shutting down a mafia?  Kickbacks?  Then what?  You seem to have no problems shutting down and destroying legitimate restaurants and small business nationwide with police acting as you sledgehammer - but you are unable to shut down the taxi mafia on Phuket.  How odd.

Indeed, and with Koh Tao about to open for business also, the Czar wouldn't want to set a precedent now, would he ?

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

You are assuming facts that are not in evidence.

The original Post said nothing about $800 b from the airport to Patong.

800 b from the airport to Patong is a normal and reasonable price that I have paid for years for a private drive company.

It does not say in the OP who knows but it may have been from Karon, which would in fact be a huge rip off.

Phuket has traditionally been known for big Taxi mafia and rip offs even the government acknowledges it.

Also, comparing anything here to western pricing is ridiculous.

"comparing anything here to western pricing is ridiculous."

I expect you walk up to 5 star hotels in Thailand and demand to stay for £10/night. Since comparing anything in Thailand to the West is ridiculous.

Your theory about the Karon - Patong journey is unlikely but possible, and I suppose the 900 baht journey was from Kata Noi to Kata? Since we are inventing things, perhaps the 800 baht was a 12 hour drive around the island?

Edited by nkg
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, JonnyF said:

No surprise. I lived there for 2 years and the whole place is a ripoff. Even local market sellers who know you are living there try and charge you extra for being a foreigner, even as you go out of your way to support them. So much so that I stopped using them and started going to the big chains where prices are marked.

Then there are the tuk tuk mafia, the taxi mafia, the 'win' mafia etc. No taxi ever uses a meter. If you complain then you risk a beat down by 5 of their mates. Even many restaurants have a separate Thai menu where prices are around 30% lower than the inflated ripoff English printed menu.

I got to the point where my gf handled all the cash when we went out. If I paid for stuff, the evening was 50% more expensive. What a place...????

They don't deserve tourists.

Yep completely agree. Went to a few simple beach restaurants, rice dish and fried egg 180baht, expect ~100baht anywhere else in Thailand. Went to a food court same dishes 100% more expensive than any other island - 100baht per dish usually 40-55baht anywhere else in country. Beer seems quite normal though compared to BKK and other islands, although bill inflation was brazen even in afternoon beer bars - e.g. two people drinking out of sync they would 2x each time they put the paper in the bin - quick to correct and then complain when zero tip after three wrong bills in 2hrs. Taxis a nightmare. Whole place is a sewer.

But heck, admittedly, I'd still go tomorrow and do 14 days in the sewer and then move on, if I i didn't also have to spend hundreds on tests, risk isolation in a field hospital - my biggest concern on 4x pcr - and COE bullcrap ..

Edited by asiam110
  • Sad 2

One of the many reasons I will not cast a shadow in Phuket are transport ripoffs. A grab driver tried that on a trip from Patong to Kamala Beach, <deleted>. Patong is literally the worst place I have ever been too. 

• Like 1