Thai Authorities Urge People not to Hoard Consumer Products during Lockdown

webfact

582a030457198a94330523910f6daae0_small.jpg

By Woraprat Lerpaisal

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s Department of Internal Trade (DIT) is urging people not to hoard consumer products during lockdown, while assuring that there will be enough supplies for everyone.

DIT Director-General Watthanasak Sua-Iam said the department has asked all department stores, wholesalers and retailers nationwide to increase their stocks of consumer products, to ensure there will be no shortage during the lockdown.

He said the DIT has also urged egg farmer associations in affected provinces to fix farm prices and supply eggs regularly to all markets in the area during the lockdown, and all associations have insisted that there will be a sufficient supply of eggs for consumption.

The director-general also warned that hoarding of goods will be a violation of the Price of Goods and Services Act and punishable with a maximum seven years in prison, or a THB140,000 fine, or both. People can contact the department’s hotline at 1569, if they witness product hoarding or unfair pricing.

nnt.jpg
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

DIT Director-General Watthanasak Sua-Iam said the department has asked all department stores, wholesalers and retailers nationwide to increase their stocks of consumer products, to ensure there will be no shortage during the lockdown.

Easy to do eh…just get out the magic lantern and make a wish. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

He said the DIT has also urged egg farmer associations in affected provinces to fix farm prices and supply eggs regularly to all markets

To paraphrase Marie Antoinette (who probably never made the  infamous quote attributed to her)

”Let them eat eggs”

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The director-general also warned that hoarding of goods will be a violation of the Price of Goods and Services Act and punishable with a maximum seven years in prison, or a THB140,000 fine, or both.

As I was going into Foodland about four hours ago, one man was exiting with an entire cart full of beef and chicken. My first stop was the butcher's window and, of course, not a single chicken breast left. This happened at the beginning of the last lockdown too. At the same store. The same situation, except it was a woman with her cart completely filled. Store managers should place a limit on the amount people can buy at one time. It's not that there will not be more beef and chicken tomorrow. But it does mean I and many others made a wasted trip today, because of the selfishness of a hoarder.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

As I was going into Foodland about four hours ago, one man was exiting with an entire cart full of beef and chicken. My first stop was the butcher's window and, of course, not a single chicken breast left. This happened at the beginning of the last lockdown too. At the same store. The same situation, except it was a woman with her cart completely filled. Store managers should place a limit on the amount people can buy at one time. It's not that there will not be more beef and chicken tomorrow. But it does mean I and many others made a wasted trip today, because of the selfishness of a hoarder.

My wife and I wiped our Big-C out of chicken carcasses.  Not hoarding, just the regular trip to buy chicken soup stock from the dogs.  If I could just order a case I would, but for whatever reason Thai business don't work that way.  So we take what they put out. 
So, was the guy "hoarding" or simply making his regular visit.  Do people shopping a Marko "hoard" as compared to people shopping at Big C.  Look at those huge carts they wheel out of Marko. 

Put it in perspective.  It may not be what you envision.

1 minute ago, connda said:

My wife and I wiped our Big-C out of chicken carcasses.  Not hoarding, just the regular trip to buy chicken soup stock from the dogs.  If I could just order a case I would, but for whatever reason Thai business don't work that way.  So we take what they put out. 
So, was the guy "hoarding" or simply making his regular visit.  Do people shopping a Marko "hoard" as compared to people shopping at Big C.  Look at those huge carts they wheel out of Marko. 

Put it in perspective.  It may not be what you envision.

You buy all the Beta grow skinned chicken breasts and beef steaks fir your dogs?

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

You buy all the Beta grow skinned chicken breasts and beef steaks fir your dogs?

Only for Songkran, Loi Krathong, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. 

Thumbs-up.jpg.db140bb9bbc46b1544708afd09752734.jpg

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, irwinfc said:

it's when (supposed) authorities say such things that people actually start hoarding.

Yeah, it's almost like they are planting the idea. 

I have to admit I let my inner idiot loose the first time on dried noodle hoarding, I quietly gave the lot away to the delighted maid about two months ago...

If I need extra toilet paper, i'll just print out the formerly world-class Bangkok Post onto A4 and use that.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

The director-general also warned that hoarding of goods will be a violation of the Price of Goods and Services Act and punishable with a maximum seven years in prison, or a THB140,000 fine, or both.

the way I see it...   this whole Article is Not about 'customers' hoarding 

- but really the 'secret stockpiling' of product(s) by the Retailers... Holding on to stockpiles to create a pincher move, for enabling price hikes when everyone is desperate (especially so when the OP article refers directly to the PofG&S Act)  - as 'customers' do not 'control' pricing