Thailand to combine Sinovac, AstraZeneca vaccine doses to boost protection - minister

snoop1130

4 hours ago, lolalol said:

Shouldn't they just trash sinovac? Or are they? Just not in the trash can...

No, but it would not surprise me if a sudden now there are jabs available for foreigners and not anymore the " only Thai " spoken  line at vacc. centers :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Or the other way around.

Not an exaggeration to imagine that some countries will not accept that or 2 doses of Sinovac as a fully vaccinated status. 

In actual fact, I think there was a report of a sandbox tourist who had AZ followed by Pfizer (or some such combo) and he was rejected from the sandbox by the Thai’s and had to do 14 day’s quarantine.

so there is precedent.

I had mixed jabs of AZ + Pfizer and I was a little concerned Thailand wouldn't accept that as fully vaccinated.  I haven't seen any official announcements about it but I think this news makes it more likely they will probably accept it without much hesitation now.

Edited by shdmn
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

In actual fact, I think there was a report of a sandbox tourist who had AZ followed by Pfizer (or some such combo) and he was rejected from the sandbox by the Thai’s and had to do 14 day’s quarantine.

so there is precedent.

There's a report here too that states they do not accept combo vaccinations:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1223796-heads-up-for-travelers-thailand-apparently-not-recognizing-“cross-vaccination”/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

To put things into perspective, changing to Astrazeneca for the second shot aren't going to change anything.

UK with a high rate of vaccination with Astrazeneca is seeing new cases rising due to the Delta variant.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57776814

The more infectious Delta variant now accounts for 99% of cases, according to Public Health England.

Around two-thirds of adults have now been double jabbed against the virus, and experts say this is helping prevent very big rises in Covid hospitalisations, although admissions are increasing.

Many of the infections being seen are among teenagers and young adults.

An estimated 400,000 people in the UK are thought to have been positive in the week to 3 July.

_119327155_ons_uk_timeseries_09jul-nc.pn

Here are some breakthrough figures for Scotland:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/7388128/coronavirus-hospitals-vaccinated-admissions/

"ALMOST 300 double-jabbed Scots have been admitted to hospital with Covid over the past month, official figures show.

Stats from Public Health Scotland revealed 288 admissions of people who were fully vaccinated between June 5 and July 2.

There were also 111 hospital admissions of people who’d had one jab in the last month, including 43 in the most recent week - more than double the 17 in the seven days to June 11.

A total of 27 people who’ve had two doses of the vaccine have died - however this was less than 0.001 per cent of all fully-vaccinated Scots."

How many vaccine breakthrough deaths are in Thailand? I've seen in the press a few cases commented,  but I don't think they are as many as 27. There were a couple of hundred medical workers infected, but only one death.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

perhaps - but they are talking about vaccines of the same type - in this case mRNA vaccines mostly used in the US 

so your point is mute in this case 

I'm don't know who you mean by "they" but the idea of using 2 different vaccines in succession is not new with covid.

It's called "Heterologous prime-boost vaccination"

And there was plenty of research into it before Covid.

28 minutes ago, shdmn said:

I had mixed jabs of AZ + Pfizer and I was a little concerned Thailand wouldn't accept that as fully vaccinated.  I haven't seen any official announcements about it but I think this news makes it more likely they will probably accept it without much hesitation now.

Mixed vaccinations are not accepted for the Phuket Sandbox, it is somewhere in the published rules.

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

Mixed vaccinations are not accepted for the Phuket Sandbox, it is somewhere in the published rules.

Apparently that's not true anymore as mentioned in another thread.

67912F85-92A5-44CA-BD34-4D40F4337FF6.thumb.jpeg.71a34fadc5c9f85b4b68113075de3fb2.jpeg

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

the key info you have omitted - were you fully vaccinated with either

what country did this happen, were those providing the vaccine fully made aware of your vaccine status 

54 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I'm don't know who you mean by "they" but the idea of using 2 different vaccines in succession is not new with covid.

It's called "Heterologous prime-boost vaccination"

And there was plenty of research into it before Covid.

you seem to be the expert

27 minutes ago, smedly said:

the key info you have omitted - were you fully vaccinated with either

what country did this happen, were those providing the vaccine fully made aware of your vaccine status 

Of course they were fully aware.  I have a legit gov't certificate in paper and verifiable digital form showing I had 2 shots and that the first was AZ and the second was Pfizer and I am now considered officially fully vaccinated.  I am not aware of any country where you can mix doses without gov't approval to do so.

Edited by shdmn

7 minutes ago, shdmn said:

I am not sure what you are asking.  You seem to be trying to imply I shopped around or something.  Of course they were aware.  I am not aware of any country where you can't mix doses without gov't approval to do so.

both my questions were valid - you made a statement which was incomplete 

I will ask again (simple question) were you fully vaccinated with either vaccine i.e 2 shots of either 

which country has (apart from Thailand it seems)  approved this administration of vaccine if only one dose 

fairly simple question 

go for it

12 minutes ago, smedly said:

both my questions were valid - you made a statement which was incomplete 

I will ask again (simple question) were you fully vaccinated with either vaccine i.e 2 shots of either 

which country has (apart from Thailand it seems)  approved this administration of vaccine if only one dose 

fairly simple question 

go for it

You seem to be trying to imply I am doing something shady or something...lol.  Keep going down that rabbit hole if it makes you happy.  If my first reply (which I edited before you posted this bizarre Inspector Clouseau questioning of yours) isn't good enough for you then too bad so sad.

Edited by shdmn

21 minutes ago, shdmn said:

You seem to be trying to imply I am doing something shady or something...lol.  Keep going down that rabbit hole if it makes you happy.  If my first reply (which I edited before you posted this bizarre Inspector Clouseau questioning of yours) isn't good enough for you then too bad so sad.

I don't think that many (any?) countries would currently accept a mixed dose vaccination. I suspect they will but at a glacial pace. Does WHO recognize mixed vaccinations as being effective? Usually approval follows large Phase 3 trials. Have there been any of those?

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I don't think that many (any?) countries would currently accept a mixed dose vaccination. I suspect they will but at a glacial pace. Does WHO recognize mixed vaccinations as being effective? Usually approval follows large Phase 3 trials. Have there been any of those?

Well they do. WHO approval is also just a matter of time.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/countries-weigh-mix-match-covid-19-vaccines-2021-05-24/

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01805-2

Edited by shdmn

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

Apparently, some people are not interested in knowing the truth. The truth is that all the vaccines are less effective in dealing with the new Delta strain.

Anybody with some knowledge of antibiotics know that when a new more resistant strain of bacteria comes out, the old antibiotics will become less effective. So new antibiotics must be invented to deal with the new strain.

The same principle applies to vaccines, I am surprised no doctors in Thailand even pointed this out and just made conclusions blindly.

So the vaccines must be modified to deal with the new Delta strain. It's not rocket science but this has been made political by certain people.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, shdmn said:

why don't you simply answer the question - it is all good information, everyone is interested 

I am not accusing you of anything - even shady, far from it 

but if you refuse to answer and share the info what was the point posting at all 

7 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Apparently, some people are not interested in knowing the truth. The truth is that all the vaccines are less effective in dealing with the new Delta strain.

Anybody with some knowledge of antibiotics know that when a new more resistant strain of bacteria comes out, the old antibiotics will become less effective. So new antibiotics must be invented to deal with the new strain.

The same principle applies to vaccines, I am surprised no doctors in Thailand even pointed this out and just made conclusions blindly.

So the vaccines must be modified to deal with the new Delta strain. It's not rocket science but this has been made political by certain people.

And 9 is less than 10 and so is 8. Does that mean that 9 = 8?

6 minutes ago, smedly said:

why don't you simply answer the question - it is all good information, everyone is interested 

I am not accusing you of anything - even shady, far from it 

but if you refuse to answer and share the info what was the point posting at all 

I read the (unintentionally) funniest stuff on this message board sometimes.

Edited by shdmn

10 minutes ago, EricTh said:

this is about one shot or two shots of the same vaccine or one shot each of different operating vaccines, like mixing petrol 91 and ethanol  or petrol and diesel - they all run combustion engines but have different modes of operation

Edited by smedly
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, smedly said:

this is about one shot or two shots of the same vaccine or one shot each of different operating vaccines, like mixing petrol 91 and ethanol  or petrol and diesel 

Didn't Angela Merkel get different vaccines for her two shots? I think I remember hearing that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, smedly said:

this is about one shot or two shots of the same vaccine or one shot each of different operating vaccines, like mixing petrol 91 and ethanol  or petrol and diesel 

Well, I read the Reuters link that shdmn provided and it says many counties are allowing mixed inoculations in the case where the AZ vaccine was administered first. This because of questions about blood clots.

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

To put things into perspective, changing to Astrazeneca for the second shot aren't going to change anything.

UK with a high rate of vaccination with Astrazeneca is seeing new cases rising due to the Delta variant.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57776814

The more infectious Delta variant now accounts for 99% of cases, according to Public Health England.

Around two-thirds of adults have now been double jabbed against the virus, and experts say this is helping prevent very big rises in Covid hospitalisations, although admissions are increasing.

Many of the infections being seen are among teenagers and young adults.

An estimated 400,000 people in the UK are thought to have been positive in the week to 3 July.

_119327155_ons_uk_timeseries_09jul-nc.pn

We knew this was coming as restrictions ease and Covid fatigue kicks in however the BIG difference is that whilst daily covid cases are similar to Januarys high at circa 32,000 per day there were about 120 deaths last week versus around 900+ per DAY in January. The vaccine is working although of course not infalliable.

We're going to have to live with it for the foreseeable future

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, placeholder said:

29 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Please show us the data that shows the vaccines are less effective against the Delta variant as I have obviously been misinformed by the leading sciencetists.

I do take your point in that if the virus mutates then there is concern that they may be less effective though.

Edited by Chelseafan

21 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, I read the Reuters link that shdmn provided and it says many counties are allowing mixed inoculations in the case where the AZ vaccine was administered first. This because of questions about blood clots.

With more countries being added almost daily now that are not mentioned in that article, such as Germany now.  

Edited by shdmn

3 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Please show us the data that shows the vaccines are less effective against the Delta variant as I have obviously been misinformed by the leading sciencetists.

I do take your point in that if the virus mutates then there is concern that they may be less effective though.

Israel saying that efficiency of Pfizer in preventing symptomatic disease dropped to 64% against Delta but still highly effective against serious disease and hospitalization.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-confirms-vaccine-less-effective-against-delta-variant-eyes-third-dose/

2 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Actually there's plenty of evidence that shows that the vaccines are less effective against the Delta variant

How well COVID-19 vaccines work against the Delta variant, according to the best available data

https://www.businessinsider.com/delta-variant-covid-vaccine-effectiveness-protection-pfizer-moderna-astrazeneca-2021-7

That said, even though the leading vaccines are somewhat less effective against infection, they still are effective. Even more so against hospitalizaton and death.