Thailand says AstraZeneca asked to delay delivery of 61 million vaccine doses

webfact

8 hours ago, bradiston said:

Step forward Thanatorn, who had the temerity to simply question the transparency of the deal with AstraZaneca, and got threatened with 112 and defamation lawsuits. Salute that man!

This has to be the end for Prayut and Anutin. Who else is responsible for this appalling cxxx up? Who negotiated the deal with AstraZaneca? A total policy failure. They have to go.

Additional info:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand-idUSKBN29O0VS

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/thai-kings-firm-heart-astrazenecas-asia-supply-saga-2021-07-15/

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, shdmn said:

This thread is hilarious.  Most of the comments are just the usual knee jerk "thais can't do anything right" nonsense when the story was probably not even translated properly. So the serial complainers here are not even complaining about the right thing....lol

I think most people realise the subs got the headline wrong.

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

AstraZeneca plc (/ˌæstrəˈzɛnəkə/) is a British-Swedish multinational pharmaceutical and biotechnology company[2][3][4] with its headquarters at the Cambridge Biomedical Campus in Cambridge, England.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AstraZeneca

You may note I already said I stand corrected.

Edited by KhaoYai

13 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I think most people realise the subs got the headline wrong.

I think you are giving the serial complainers FAR too much credit.  They just want stuff to moan about.  They don't care if it's true or what the actual issue is.  My guess is that they hate their own lives so much that they want to try blame it on the Thai gov't.  They would not be happy no matter where they lived.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

People regularly criticise the Thai government but its not exclusive to foreigners.  Most Thais that I know think the current government is totally incompetent - I tend to agree with them.  This is what you get when you have a soldier in charge of a country - an untested soldier, I might add.

I don't think anyone is saying 'Thais can't do anything right' - I think they are saying the current Thai GOVERNMENT can't do anything right. Or are you suggesting they've handled the Pandemic well?

I guess you've missed the comments of an embittered contingent of expats who generalize to Thai society. You can spot them by their frequent use of the phrase "dirty farang" as part of their alleged mind-reading act of the Thai people.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

People regularly criticise the Thai government but its not exclusive to foreigners.  Most Thais that I know think the current government is totally incompetent - I tend to agree with them.  This is what you get when you have a soldier in charge of a country - an untested soldier, I might add.

I don't think anyone is saying 'Thais can't do anything right' - I think they are saying the current Thai GOVERNMENT can't do anything right. Or are you suggesting they've handled the Pandemic well?

Those same Thais will also tell you Thaksin was the best PM ever even though the guy was a corrupt crook.  They are the Thai version of trump supporters.

1 minute ago, shdmn said:

Those same Thais will also tell you Thaksin was the best PM ever even though the guy was a corrupt crook.  They are the Thai version of trump supporters.

He was a corrupt crook. But what about those who opposed him? He did direct a lot of govt money away from Bangkok and to regions that were traditionally neglected. The North and Northeast particularly. It's a pity he wasn't a halfway decent human being.

27 minutes ago, placeholder said:

He was a corrupt crook. But what about those who opposed him? He did direct a lot of govt money away from Bangkok and to regions that were traditionally neglected. The North and Northeast particularly. It's a pity he wasn't a halfway decent human being.

Someone sure drank the Issan kool-aid. Giving the rice farmers handouts was a small price to pay for the ultrawealthy to seize their grip on power and make obscene amounts of money raping and pillaging the country.  That's precisely why the military had to step in

Edited by shdmn
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

AZ came up with a good idea to do local production in SE Asia, if indeed they came up with the idea themselves, but they shot themselves in the foot but giving the whole production to one small company with no experience or track record in vaccine production.

Maybe Siam Bioscience was the ONLY company that they were allowed to partner up with?

Since media leads us to believe that Siam Bioscience had a lack of experience and no facilities to take on this work, were any of the other Thai pharmaceutical companies in a position to do a better job?

Note that all except Siam Bioscience and Berlin Pharm are foreign-owned businesses so maybe that stoic nationalism was a deciding factor?

top10thaipharma.jpg.da8bac8f62f4b3656845b758501ac1cd.jpg

Anyway, according to the AZ Thailand website, they are hiring.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/country-sites/thailand.html

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

And what about Sanofi and its covid vaccine? Oh, wait, that was a failure. Would that make it typically French?

it was indeed a mistake, but they are catching up, plan is to have full production ready for November with a new vaccine

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

When a company in Thailand fails at something it's held up as an indictment of Thai society.

When a European company fails, it's just one of those things.

Oh please!

Such gibberish.

Anyway what a mess this is.

7 hours ago, bradiston said:

Initially it was supposed to be 10m a month. But these were the figures being put out by Prayut's government. We have no idea what the actual agreement was with AZ, or what the actual capacity of SBS is/was. Prayut was hell-bent on selling an "opening Thailand by October" plan to the Thai public. A sub text was 61m by the end of the year, which also was calculated using the 10m per month schedule. If that's cut in half, it will take an extra 6 months into 2022 to reach that target at 5m a month.

That's why the mad scramble to beef up the numbers with Sinopharm, Pfizer and Moderna. Plus, there are others coming on stream.

I believe June was the initial rollout so at 10M per month then by the end of November 61M doses was the end of the "timeline". If they are required to reserve 40% of the output for Thailand, then it's 4M/mo which takes 15 months to complete 61M.  That's til the end Aug 2022- 8 months into next year.  Not quibbling.  Thanks for your insight....

The regime went all in on two options and got crushed on the flop.

Not much they can do at this point except find someone to blame, maybe go off begging for more more free vaccines, too late to join COVAX?

The Sino stuff is Fools Gold.

The home-grown options are years away, unless they decide to experiment on the masses.

It's going to be a long, difficult road - not sure the regime is up to the task, nor if the public is willing to wait for a real government.

Edited by mtls2005

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The company has promised to deliver 40% of what is produced to Thailand, the deputy health minister said, adding that Thailand will ask the company for more doses.

That gives Thailand 6,000,000 doses per month at it's current production rate of 15M

I'm sure when AstraZeneca contracted SB to produce it was to set-up a base for the manufacture and delivery for the whole Asean area, orders from those other countries will have to be honoured.

Thailand has shown it's complete failure on all fronts during this pandemic.

Edited by hotchilli

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

That gives Thailand 6,000,000 doses per month at it's current production rate of 15M

I'm sure when AstraZeneca contracted SB to produce it was to set-up a base for the manufacture and delivery for the whole Asean area, orders from those other countries will have to be honoured.

Thailand has shown it's complete failure on all fronts during this pandemic.

Some posters saying "Sinovac is cr#p) with the amount of people dying and its rising daily why wouldn't you take anything that is offered! 

I'm getting my Sinovac next week as who knows how long it will be before anything else becomes available.

Good luck to all those that are waiting  for something other than Sinovac! 

Chatted to a guy from the US this morning, he said " many people refusing a Vaccine, they are the ones dying, people are stupid here" 

Edited by Badrabbit

19 hours ago, Katipo said:

Not only has the usual over promising and under delivering hurt Thailand, but this time also the people of Taiwan, Malaysia, and the Philippines.

Pick the correct words..... killed, rather than hurt. 

1 hour ago, Badrabbit said:

Some posters saying "Sinovac is cr#p) with the amount of people dying and its rising daily why wouldn't you take anything that is offered! 

I'm getting my Sinovac next week as who knows how long it will be before anything else becomes available.

Good luck to all those that are waiting  for something other than Sinovac! 

Chatted to a guy from the US this morning, he said " many people refusing a Vaccine, they are the ones dying, people are stupid here" 

I can't even get Sinovac... my local government hospital won't even register me for anything.

• Sad 1

Now would be a good time to come clean on the AZ situation.

Be honest with the people. If you obfuscate then you lose that last smidgen of credibility you have.

Give full details on production figures, and the sources of the AZ to date.

And provide a working plan on future production and deliveries. Update that weekly at a minimum.

Does anyone have a recent breakout by vaccine type administered.

I have this slide, but it's from 10 days ago (6 July 2021 CCSA daily briefing)

E5q0bUgUUAQv5NT.jpg

• Like 1