Vaccinations available for Australian nationals in Thailand

webfact

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

No such thing occured. The AU and other Ambassadors arranged little publicly stunt. Dish out few crumbs perhaps as low as 100 jabs per country and do a little video release.

I provided details as soon as site was up last night and didn't get an appointment.

Exactly what happens at daily registrations at those 2 bkk hospitals. 

It's a big game. A joke. Bar Bar black sheep rubbish.

I disagree with you . Sorry to persist . Australian Government is not to be trusted 

8 minutes ago, G Rex said:

I do not think I am naive ( nor am I nieve - whatever that is). 
taxes help a government (in the west) run the country as we would expect .  If this has been done correctly - how can anyone expect this money to be paid back. 
the pension is a welfare payment for those who need it - it should never be considered a right for everyone 

I fear this thread is moving off topic..

Moving in a direction that you have a problem to understand . Australia has many considerations to make with individuals that have paid into a system and then denied payment .  Offering a vaccine just in Bangkok red zone says much .

• Haha 1

I looked at it but it is totally impractical, found out friday night and the vaccines are being done sunday, would have to book flghts etc to get there if I was even included and probably accommodation over night, risk 14 day quarantine on return as well then do it again for the second shot. Luckily my wife has booked me in for moderna at a local private hospital yesterday, no travel required but a wait till they have the vaccine 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itsari said:

Australia has rules of its own when it comes to payments for earned pensions . At least you will be paid by the UK where ever you decide to retire . Not so sure about Australia . I worked and lived there for 16 years . Unlikely I get anything . 

I recommend you check. 

I thought I'd never get a pension from the UK as only worked there 4 years.

I was able to pay 10 years back at once, only 6000 baht a year, and continue to pay yearly. 

I'll get a full pension. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, seajae said:

I looked at it but it is totally impractical, found out friday night and the vaccines are being done sunday, would have to book flghts etc to get there if I was even included and probably accommodation over night, risk 14 day quarantine on return as well then do it again for the second shot. Luckily my wife has booked me in for moderna at a local private hospital yesterday, no travel required but a wait till they have the vaccine 

That's what my retired friend said. I've no idea why, he doesn't work and it's only a 7 hour drive. If I was retired, I'd jump at the chance to relieve the boredom of farm dwelling. 

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

100% not to be trusted.

Confusion in thread is due to fact that thread is about nonsense PR trip of some governments offering vaccination Sunday between very limited hours and more ridiculous is the number of vaccine being provided. Perhaps even 100 per country.

The thread has ZERO to do with Au pensions. Stick to thread always a good policy.

Guess who is looking to become a mederaror. 

Threads progress as members wish, it isn't China 

Just now, Neeranam said:

Guess who is looking to become a mederaror. 

Threads progress as members wish, it isn't China 

Read topic heading and do try and stay remotely on topic. 

Some find that difficult, as you have just shown. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Read topic heading and do try and stay remotely on topic. 

Some find that difficult, as you have just shown. 

Remotely ?? Australian Government needs to remain on topic Dr Jack 

Bigots come to mind 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, itsari said:

Moving in a direction that you have a problem to understand . Australia has many considerations to make with individuals that have paid into a system and then denied payment .  Offering a vaccine just in Bangkok red zone says much .

Move along please

Nothing to see here

I like what the French embassy did to their citizen by going directly to private hospital and bring the J&J directly... One shot and you are done...

The AZ is a pain because you still need to go back and get the 2nd shot.. One shot does not give you enough protection.... May be the2nd shot will probably be an MRNA

• Like 1

In the Bangkok post - Reported 

"Many expats in Thailand have been finding it difficult to register for shots, even if they are over age 60 or in high-risk groups. The online registration systems for both Thais and foreigners have been generally non-functional."

It has been the same problem all along. Many expat lives in different part of Thailand.  These Embassy must use a direct path and let their citizen register at the private hospital-- like what the  French did. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, G Rex said:

I am an Australian citizen , and like you I have paid bucket loads of tax over the last 35 years working in Australia.   I have now made the choice to live in Thailand - (like you?).   I expect to receive nothing from Australia in the future . I will not be eligible for any government support or pension.

I do , however, understand that the benefits that I received while living in Australia- education for myself (free) and subsidised for my children , free health care , stable (<deleted>$y government) and a true first world lifestyle- all come at a cost. I think it is a bit much to expect to get the tax that We have paid back in our retirement.  As far as I know it was never a loan.     
such is life 

I am 54 years old and a self-funded retiree. Just noting that Australia does not have free healthcare for working people as we pay a Medicare levy. All the best????????????????????????????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Interesting. I provided all my details 7pm last night and received rejection email 1pm today. Reason : appointments full.

Interested as to how you were successful.

Hopefully you get your shot tomorrow.

Long drive. How does it work for return from Bangkok. No issues? 

Please post your experience tomorrow, I'm sure folk would be interested.

Will do,are far as i know if you have appointment letter for vax sbouldnt have any problems travelling,cheers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Why would I expect Australia to look after me, like an Australian citizen? 30 odd years of paying my full Australian tax for one thing, paying into medicare for a second, making my super contributions in Australia for a 3rd. Whether you or I like it or not I've spent my entire working life in Australia and have well and truly contributed to the national tax coffers.

As for the UK I need an NHS number to register with my local GP in order to be seen. Other than registering for a current  NHS number in order to see a GP I am not entitled to free anything in the UK. I'm actally going to the UK to visit my 85 year old father, hence why I would like to be vaccinated.

I don't know you and have no like or dislike about your work history. Why would I?

I know people who have spent nearly 40 years living in Thailand. They have worked, payed taxes, married and bred, yet they still have to report their whereabouts every 90 days and keep large sums lying fallow in a Thai bank. Some country's laws can be very cruel for long term residents.

Australia is not one of them. Applying for citizenship is a breeze and nearly always approved. You don't lose your precious British passport. What doesn't happen is that individuals with PR can decide their own status when some perk of being a citizen arises. (Not that this small offering is a perk for more than a few anyway!)

I worked and paid taxes in my country (still do) for much longer than you, but have found the tax system there wants to punish me for daring to retire in another country. I have never applied, and never will, for the aged pension. I've paid a fortune to Medicare while also buying expensive health cover from a private scheme. I would think sponsored health care is a perk for a PR, not something to complain about.

I think the saying about the inevitability of taxes is true nearly everywhere, but it is not part of the criteria for citizenship in Australia.  It can't work that way, as even short term temporary entrant, workers pay taxes.

You must have known you weren't Australian when you applied for a passport to start roaming. To whinge when you miss out on something only for citizens perhaps indicates your true heritage. 

I have no interest nor opinion on your activities in your country of citizenship.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, irishman25 said:

Well done Australia stepping forward to help your people every country should now do the same you all know the reason look what is happening  

Well I wouldn't risk going to the centre of covid Bkk to get a jab I'll wait until I can get it near me.

2 jabs and you can still get covid.

6 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Don’t forget the Australian Government also discriminates against Permanent Residents by denying them the aged pension for a number of reasons, notwithstanding what you have paid into the system.

Not true. There is a qualification, it wouldn't be reasonable, or acceptable by the people, if someone could just enter the country and receive full benefits immediately.

Even citizens have to qualify for the full amount.

Age Pension - Residence rules - Services Australia

• Like 1

This invitation  to present at short notice for a vaccine is or is not limited to those who " reside in the vicinity of Bangkok" ?

A friend of mine who is originally from New Zealand has received an identical invitation for a Sunday jabfest but as he is "outside"  Bangkok locality  by some 300kms is not eligible because registration specifically requires an address of residence limited to Bangkok and/or surrounding distrcts.

Given the obvious stats indicating a blowout in nationwide infections why not have done as the French in providing timely notice to all and any French nationals to enroll  for vaccination regardless of residential location???

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

These deportations are based on character, and usually association with criminal gangs. (mainly bikies)

Not saying it's fair, as the individual doesn't get much of a right of appeal, but it is lawful. The legislation, approved by Parliament  allows it.  The Minister holding the portfolio is a hard nosed ex-copper with delusions of grandeur beyond his capabilities, but he can lawfully make these decisions.

Yes, I understand, but the motorcycle clubs are legal entities and these people haven't even been charged with an offence. It's a dangerous precedent.

15 hours ago, pegman said:

Likely shamed into doing it because of that stupid Embassy joke post. Be nice if more countries did this for their nationals.

Got the same email from the US Embassy.. Same place same time.. Unfortunately, my cardiologist said stay away from BKK

19 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

I am retracting my comment about political stunt by Australian, now USA expats are being offered the same tomorrow, so now it is clear that this is a Thailand political stunt.

AZ isn't an approved vaccine in the USA yet, if you wanted to go back to the US, you will be considered "unvaccinated" if that's a concern ?

https://www.mediaite.com/news/heres-why-globally-successful-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-hasnt-been-approved-in-united-states/

As to the Aus Government vaccinations, I suspect it's a "stunt" with only a handful of shots, they are after all Thai supplied and Thailand don't have enough for the general population.  Thailand's vaccination rollout is going really well compared to Australia which is clusterfu%k that defines description.  I blame the voters who elected these fools but it's ever been thus, this quote from the iconic book The Lucky Country published in 1964 expands on that

Australia is a lucky country run mainly by second rate people who share its luck. It lives on other people's ideas, and, although its ordinary people are adaptable, most of its leaders (in all fields) so lack curiosity about the events that surround them that they are often taken by surprise

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lucky_Country

• Like 2
  • Sad 1