Bangkok: Zebra crossings set to turn red - that'll limit accidents, says traffic expert

webfact

How many many many times has Pattaya repainted and repainted and repainted the baht bus stops and crosswalks ?   These colors don't last long and they look Bad as the colors fade...

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 2

I thought zebra crossings were where motorbikes had to stop waiting for green light.

Spend the money on red light cameras and increase the fine for crossing the wide white line before a green light. At the moment it's a 500Baht fine running a red light, this is ridiculous. If you run a red light you could kill someone. If you smoke on the beach you could annoy some people could be fined 100,000 Baht!!!

Every time the light changes in a crossing there is about 5 seconds where traffic is going everywhere, even if there is a police box at the crossing. I'm sure the officer is keeping an eye on the situation and not just not sleeping in the air conditioned comfort.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pattjock said:

I thought zebra crossings were where motorbikes had to stop waiting for green light.

Spend the money on red light cameras and increase the fine for crossing the wide white line before a green light. At the moment it's a 500Baht fine running a red light, this is ridiculous. If you run a red light you could kill someone. If you smoke on the beach you could annoy some people could be fined 100,000 Baht!!!

Every time the light changes in a crossing there is about 5 seconds where traffic is going everywhere, even if there is a police box at the crossing. I'm sure the officer is keeping an eye on the situation and not just not sleeping in the air conditioned comfort.

does anyone pay these fines ?

maybe better if police stand and issue fines, rather than through post 

• Thanks 1

The real trouble is that its the small minded, petty mindset of the Thai driver. Here, its law of the jungle. The largest, most powerful, most luxury hiso and ballsy has right of way.

Westerners just not thinking clearly about it.

• Like 1

Absolutely no point.  The crossings will be ignored as usual.  Is it beyond the mental capacity of this crew to place public information announcements between the mind numbing television soaps?  They would have a huge captive audience, and something may actually get through that brings enlightenment to most, who appear to be unable to see past the end of their collective noses.  Or place road signs saying ‘give way to pedestrians’ but, of course, the signs wouldn’t be seen because of restaurants and vendors occupying the sidewalk.  And just as an aside - try educating people to turn on their headlights in rain.

How about installing cameras and making sure that they work. And then fine everybody who ignore the zebra crossings. 

That is win/win/win.

- Money for Thailand from the bad guys who ignore zebra crossings

- Some drivers and riders will learn and stop

- Pedestrians will be safer

But TiT. The problem is known for many many years and nothing drastic happens.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2021 at 11:36 AM, colinneil said:

So painting the crossings red is going to reduce accidents, dont think so most drivers here just plough ahead whether there are people on the crossing or not.

Anything that helps reduce accidents is a good idea, but first drivers need training in how to drive, because very few can drive properly.

Well said . And if painting these things red really work maybe they should paint whole roads red 5555 damn those fools . How do they come up with these idea's . This fool must have gotten a pot of money to paint these things and outsourced it to the cheapest painter and pocket the rest . Dersperate times ........... .

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 11:21 AM, webfact said:

An ambitious plan to replace Bangkok's Zebra crossings with red ones will limit accidents, said a traffic expert.

Should help disguise the accidents being red... I can't see a colour change changing mentality when all vehicles think they have the right of way all the time.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, pattjock said:

'Spend the money on red light cameras and increase the fine'

Believe me, it won't help, yes OK, for normal drivers like you and me....recently I got a ticket for speeding 120km/hr, 90 allowed, 500 thb, I pay this but understand 60% of Thai don't pay there ticket.

i used a red x ing several days ago ,drivers had a long distance to see me clearly barrelled at em lucky to cross safely even though 300 yds before a car when i stepped on x ing.several options here,place a cop on the x ings and bust every car loooking to wipe pedestrians,heavy fine.then put public education ads on tv in regards to this and the other idiotical habits the morons here employ,start heavy fines and taking away licences.the drivers test needs to state very clearly in several ways that other drivers and pedestrians need to respect each other.i gave the driver the finger,he was insulted slowed down but as i ran up to his car brick in hand he drove away.jesus these w...ers are morons at almost every level of society. we can see it with covid and the me me society around us,they got the govt they deserve its a reflection of their values and sitting there with myopic smiles going mai pen rai instead of doing something about sums it up.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, overt2016 said:

On my daily walk I was about to step on the crossing when a mini van 

with POLICE clearly written on it forced me to change my mind.

Pedestrian Crossing right of way only starts after you have stepped onto the crossing.......after that it is anyone's guess but at least you can die happy knowing you obeyed the law.

• Sad 1

On 7/17/2021 at 11:36 AM, colinneil said:

So painting the crossings red is going to reduce accidents, dont think so most drivers here just plough ahead whether there are people on the crossing or not.

Anything that helps reduce accidents is a good idea, but first drivers need training in how to drive, because very few can drive properly.

Motor bikes dont even stop at red lights, what hope do they have with a pedestrian crossing color  

• Like 2