Thailand reports another record high new COVID-19 cases

Jonathan Fairfield

2021-07-17T010926Z_1_LYNXMPEH6G00F_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.jpeg

FILE PHOTO: A man undergoes a free coronavirus disease (COVID-19) test at a rapid antigen mass testing station as the spread of COVID-19 continues, in Bangkok, Thailand, July 15, 2021. REUTERS/Chalinee Thirasupa

Thailand on Sunday reported another high in new daily COVID-19 cases, which surpassed 10,000 for the second successive day.

The country reported 11,397 new cases on Sunday, with 101 deaths, bringing the total number of infections to 403,386 cases and fatalities to 3,341 since the pandemic started.

The news comes Thailand announced a nationwide ban on public gatherings late on Friday, with violators warned they face a maximum penalty of a two-year jail term or a fine of up to 40,000 baht, or both.

Officials also said that further restrictive measures may be introduced early next week.

"From the current situation we predict that if we don't introduce more measures there will be more infections and deaths in large numbers for the next three to four months," Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the Department of Disease Control, said, advising people to stay at home as much as possible and avoid travel between provinces.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said the government is considering more restrictions as the country battles its worst coronavirus outbreak yet, fuelled by the highly transmissible Alpha and Delta COVID-19 variants.

"There is a need to expand measures to limit people's movement as much as possible and closing more facilities, leaving only the essentials," Prayuth said on his official Facebook page on Friday.

Meanwhile, on Saturday, the PM also ordered the armed forces and police to join teams from City Hall to help carry out door to door COVID-19 testing for people located in the areas of Bangkok worst affected by the virus.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-18

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Paving the way for a far stricter lockdown measures as the numbers punched above 11K. Not a welcome sight to keep setting new highs.

11,397 positive cases today with 318 of those from prisons, 101 deaths

Rolling 7 day average (up to 16th July only) which includes prison cases and bar chart of community cases.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

data 18 july.png

data 18 july 2.png

Is it correct that numbers in Bangkok are declining? Presumably the rates per province will be published later.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The more stringent restrictions I fear will be in play very soon.  With the new testing in the Capitol ordered by the PM with teams going from neighborhood to neighborhood it will soon be over 20K is my view.  The deaths as unfortunate as they may be are not just being located in the hospitals but within residences as well.  All we can hope for is that more vaccines make there way here and they vaccinate folks en-mass, however doing that takes time and now Thailand is way behind the curve on this.  That's my view, and no its not fear mongering or scare mongering, it is based upon reality and the current statistics, no matter how far out of sync they may be.  Stay safe folk.

It’s not clear that new testing means expanded testing. It is possible that the new testing will simply redirect testing from other areas.

I suspect that any expanded testing, as opposed to redirected testing, would be accompanied by news stories about acquisition of new testing equipment. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Is it correct that numbers in Bangkok are declining? Presumably the rates per province will be published later.

we don't have province updates for today until after noon... But Saturday's BKK number was down about 30% from the all-time high of about a week prior. It's not just a BKK region problem anymore.

why the BKK case numbers are down is a matter of speculation. Apart from testing issues, sick people eventually end up getting reported somewhere, though that doesn't account for those who are asymptomatic or only have mild symptoms.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

It’s not clear that new testing means expanded testing. It is possible that the new testing will simply redirect testing from other areas.

I suspect that any expanded testing, as opposed to redirected testing, would be accompanied by news stories about acquisition of new testing equipment. 

Expanding, and redirecting are not either or.  Some new testing is using strip kits, which requires no equipment. That is why they are introducing it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, no deal said:

my wife and my son where teste 3 days ago we still waiting for the result!

Last year, my neighbor was tested for Covid in the USA, and didn’t get a result for many days.

Generally, if you don’t get a timely result, it’s because the lab is too busy notifying positive cases.

• Confused 2

56 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Has the media been instructed not to headline any numbers above 10,000?

2 days in a row. No number in headline. So odd. 

Bangkok Post has listed the numbers

• Thanks 2