Thailand reports another record high new COVID-19 cases

Jonathan Fairfield

This news was initially posted by Bkk Brian in yesterday's same subject thread:

https://twitter.com/PravitR/status/1416563707715350529

BREAKING: According to

@Thairath_News

the partial lockdown will be increased to include Chachoengsao, Chonburi and Ayutthaya provinces starting from 20th July. There are now 13 provinces included. Curfew remains the same from 9pm-4am #COVID19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1416582809649512451

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, no deal said:

my wife and my son where teste 3 days ago we still waiting for the result!

Why did they go for a test? I would not go as long as I feel okay.

But what surprises me is that people working with customers don't get tested. For instance in the Central Mall in Pattaya were recently very many cases. Why didn't the employees get tested?! Then the closed it for one day for desinfection. The next day they opened again without quarantine.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

What does testing from a year ago and in the US have to do with today and here in Thailand.  A year ago they were just getting started and overloaded elsewhere, since then the labs have increased personnel and the testing process has not changed unless you pay extra for faster results much like the brown envelope issue.  

Since labs in Thailand are getting flooded with tests, I am suggesting that the notification process is likewise getting backed up, and in such circumstances, positive cases get notified first. That’s just common sense, to triage notification to the most urgent cases.

I am sorry that this may offend you.

6 minutes ago, anchadian said:

This news was initially posted by Bkk Brian in yesterday's same subject thread:

https://twitter.com/PravitR/status/1416563707715350529

BREAKING: According to

@Thairath_News

the partial lockdown will be increased to include Chachoengsao, Chonburi and Ayutthaya provinces starting from 20th July. There are now 13 provinces included. Curfew remains the same from 9pm-4am #COVID19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1416582809649512451

What I have seen so far for Chonburi is that the voluntary curfew is now less voluntary. But no news of restaurant closings.

6 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The Royal Gazette announced on Sunday tightening of Covid-19 measures from Tuesday.

More curbs imposed on dark red provinces from Tuesday

The measures are:

▪︎ People living in dark red provinces (maximum and strictly controlled areas) are not allowed to go outdoors unless necessary.

▪︎ Curfew hours are imposed from 9pm to 4am.

▪︎ Restaurants, shopping malls and convenience stores must be closed from 8pm to 4am.

▪︎ Provincial governors must close venues and ban activities that could pose risk of Covid-19 infection for 14 days.

▪︎ Checkpoints will be set up to prevent people living in dark red provinces from inter-province travel.

▪︎ The number of passengers in public transport is limited to 50 per cent (only in dark red provinces).

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40003394

Guess going outside to walk is now a punishable offense here in Bangkok and the other zones.  Wonder if you have a house and you go outside to swim if you will be violating this new decree. So we are essentially locked in and locked down unless we need to shop and or go to the doctors.  I guess a walk after dinner is just not necessary regardless of how many masks and gloves  one wears, yes sarcasm, but if this is what they are doing in the dark red zones, why limit it to those areas as the cases are still blooming everywhere else.

Families that live in condos and order food daily will be developing the drop basket and pully system to obtain their food from the riders and delivery folks.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The Royal Gazette announced on Sunday tightening of Covid-19 measures from Tuesday.

The measures are:

▪︎ People living in dark red provinces (maximum and strictly controlled areas) are not allowed to go outdoors unless necessary.

▪︎ Restaurants, shopping malls and convenience stores must be closed from 8pm to 4am.

That sounds very similar to the original measures imposed last Monday, depending on how seriously they plan on enforcing the not going outside item.

That before was something they "encouraged."  And "necessary" was generally considered to be things like shopping for food, banking, medical stuff, etc. And presumably that will remain the same.

Among other items on the latest list, the public transit limit on occupancy item is new:

Here's my own summary (not quoted from any other source) of last Monday's measures that still are currently in effect:

BKK and 5 adjoining province lockdown restrictions beyond 9 p.m. to 4 a.m. daily curfew:

1.  Government/private “Work From Home” encouraged

2.  Public transport (buses & rail lines) close at 9 p.m. until at least 4 a.m.

3.  Department store, shopping center, and community mall shops closed, except for…

4.  Within malls and centers, the following can open until 8 p.m.: supermarkets, takeout food outlets, banks & financial institutions, pharmacies, building supplies, postage/parcel & mobile phone related shops.

5.  No sit-down dining allowed. Takeout food & beverage service allowed till 8 p.m.

6.  Convenience stores & night markets close 8 p.m. to 4 a.m.

7.  Schools, indoor fitness centers, massage parlors and spas closed

8.  Public gatherings of more than 5 people banned.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That sounds very similar to the original measures imposed last Monday, depending on how seriously they plan on enforcing the not going outside item. That before was something they "encouraged."  And the public transit limit on occupancy item is new:

Here's the summary of last Monday's measures that still are currently in effect:

BKK and 5 adjoining province lockdown restrictions beyond 9 p.m. to 4 a.m. daily curfew:

1.  Government/private “Work From Home” encouraged

2.  Public transport (buses & rail lines) close at 9 p.m. until at least 4 a.m.

3.  Department store, shopping center, and community mall shops closed, except for…

4.  Within malls and centers, the following can open until 8 p.m.: supermarkets, takeout food outlets, banks & financial institutions, pharmacies, building supplies, postage/parcel & mobile phone related shops.

5.  No sit-down dining allowed. Takeout food & beverage service allowed till 8 p.m.

6.  Convenience stores & night markets close 8 p.m. to 4 a.m.

7.  Schools, indoor fitness centers, massage parlors and spas closed

8.  Public gatherings of more than 5 people banned.

Indeed it is although it is also now confirmed on the increase of added dark red zones, from the same article:

Meanwhile, the number of dark red provinces has increased to 13. They are: Bangkok, Chachoengsao, Chonburi, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Narathiwat, Pathum Thani, Pattani, Ayutthaya, Yala, Songkhla, Samut Prakan and Samut Sakhon.

Edited by Bkk Brian

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Indeed it is although it is also now confirmed on the added dark red zones, from the same article:

Meanwhile, the number of dark red provinces has increased to 13. They are: Bangkok, Chachoengsao, Chonburi, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Narathiwat, Pathum Thani, Pattani, Ayutthaya, Yala, Songkhla, Samut Prakan and Samut Sakhon.

Yep, the overnight curfew and interprovincial travel restrictions this past week supposedly was only for the 10 provinces, BKK, five adjoining and four southern provinces.

But as best as I could tell, the various store closure and limited operating hours items were only for BKK and its five adjoining provinces, and not the four southern provinces.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Is it correct that numbers in Bangkok are declining? Presumably the rates per province will be published later.

I don't know what happens to people testing positive with a testing kit, I suspect they are not officially recorded and sent home to isolate - only when they become sick will they get a PCR test and officially recorded in data - that is what I think, how do you think that would impact on reported cases in Thailand - IMO they will mostly go unreported especially in BKK

• Like 2

1 hour ago, law ling said:

A lot of agony in store for sure.

Such a shame:

1. they didn't join COVAX and

2. they didn't order adequate vaxes (and still haven't)

The plan here seems to be: politicans are double-vaxed and the rest of you: endure it, and see you at the other end, if you make it.

Has there ever been an explanation why the government didn't join the Covax consortium...I believe just about every other country in SE Asia did so? As to your point about vaccines, it is plainly not true as millions have already been vaccinated, including myself (first shot), but not nearly enough quickly enough. And this is partially the fault of the government. 

1 minute ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Has there ever been an explanation why the government didn't join the Covax consortium...I believe just about every other country in SE Asia did so? As to your point about vaccines, it is plainly not true as millions have already been vaccinated, including myself (first shot), but not nearly enough quickly enough. And this is partially the fault of the government. 

Sure there will be a leaked confidential government document coming forward on that issue sooner rather than later, as they seem to popping up daily now..

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The measures are:

are dark red restaurants take away only ?