Thailand reports another record high new COVID-19 cases

Jonathan Fairfield

58 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Without a stricter lockdown it will be 50000 a day, and 1000 deaths.

I'm curious - what stricter lockdown measures would you impose that you think would actually make a difference at this stage and prevent the inevitability of 50,000 cases a day, without the cure being worse than the disease?   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Blumpie said:

It is certainly developing into a worst case scenario.  You know, the vaccines are simply not rolling in at all.  And even if they did there is no way that they can vaccinate out of this wave.  In Indonesia they just pick up the bodies at home - no need to go to the hospital because there is no care.  

I think it is only inevitable that a very significant lockdown will occur or you will see a similar situation.  Hopefully I am dead wrong.  

Thailand has minimum one more year of a shut down economy when it comes to tourism.  Year being the high season of 2021 / 2022.  

Another thing is some people that have already been vaccinated with two Sinovac vaccine still want more jabs of a western vaccine as they are not happy with the Press saying Sinovac is not good.

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Anutin in his letter says he expects AZ to increase supplies from SBS to 10 million a month. So it seems he’s pressing AZ to to siphon off vaccine contracted to go to TL’s neighbors to make up the number, rather than TL imposing an export ban. Some very tough negotiations ahead.

https://twitter.com/pakhead/status/1416601987135643653

Unlike to happen even if they ban exports. EU tried it once with a small shipment to Australia and that was the last you heard of it. Banning the export won’t necessarily give them access to the product. I’m sure there is plenty of fine print in the manufacturing contact to cover that and AZ would likely pull their license to manufacture. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

Should just open everything. Current policy is worst of all worlds. 

what does closing the border do?! Covid is in the country. If that had any positive effect, we would not have the delta variant, now would we? So open borders.

Open everything. People realize it is serious. Of course maybe waiting until deaths taper a bit could be a smart move, I just contend there is no difference. Open, closed, curfew, no curfew… the same number of people will be infected in the end. Any positive effects lockdowns have is negated by the negative effects the lockdown has on the population. 

You know you dont need visa run at moment , they give you that kind covid extension in imigration office. Need visit there if you did't know.

CCSA remaps Deep Red, Red, Orange and Green areas as COVID-19 pandemic situation worsens

As COVID-19 infections increase relentlessly in most of Thailand’s provinces, the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has added Ayutthaya, Chachoengsao and Chon Buri provinces to the “maximum controlled and restricted” or “Dark Red” zones.

The number of provinces classified as “maximum controlled”, or “Red” zones has increased to 53, leaving only 10 provinces classified as “controlled”, or “Orange” zones and Phuket as the only province classified as an “under close watch” area.

The remapping of Thailand into these zones, in accordance with the COVID-19 pandemic situation, was published in the Royal Gazette today (Sunday) and will become effective on Tuesday.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/ccsa-remaps-deep-red-red-orange-and-green-areas-as-covid-19-pandemic-situation-worsens/

• Like 1

Thailand’s pandemic is out of control???? Massive vaccine rollout failure and fast becoming worst country in the world to visit???? They should forget about “Sandbox” bs and get their vaccine act together as nobody going there if they have to quarantine when they get home! 

6297B64D-DC17-4605-9401-D97A92933C92.jpeg

It's all down to the government not being able to start testing soon enough. Then when the numbers started to rise they waited until it was too late to start vaccinating people. They are more interested in the tinder box and infrastructure projects rather than saving their own population 

• Thanks 1

Even stricter measures? If numbers in Bkk are dropping (do we have the breakdown?) then current measures, in fact, are working. Likewise other deep reds.

On the other hand if numbers are rising because of spread to other provinces then then the solution is a clampdown on interprovincial travel and quarantine for those who have traveled, not more lockdown.

And as a fellow above wisely observed the effect of any measure will only be evident after a couple of weeks. So reacting herky jerky to daily numbers is foolish.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, anchadian said:

CCSA remaps Deep Red, Red, Orange and Green areas as COVID-19 pandemic situation worsens

As COVID-19 infections increase relentlessly in most of Thailand’s provinces, the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has added Ayutthaya, Chachoengsao and Chon Buri provinces to the “maximum controlled and restricted” or “Dark Red” zones.

The number of provinces classified as “maximum controlled”, or “Red” zones has increased to 53, leaving only 10 provinces classified as “controlled”, or “Orange” zones and Phuket as the only province classified as an “under close watch” area.

The remapping of Thailand into these zones, in accordance with the COVID-19 pandemic situation, was published in the Royal Gazette today (Sunday) and will become effective on Tuesday.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/ccsa-remaps-deep-red-red-orange-and-green-areas-as-covid-19-pandemic-situation-worsens/

Selfishly, very grateful my wife's family live in an orange zone. I imagine she'd be getting very frustrated with Thai govt and me (always me) if they lived in a deep red zone

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Why Me said:

All in Thai. Could you give a English precis of what's going on? Would be good to know.

Due to forum rules, this subject can't be discussed in this thread.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

The point was they are not being tested, despite what goes on behind closed shutters.

Besides which it seems like they are still locked in and with little food to me, a report from yesterday:

"We went and visited this camp yesterday because of @IIIPeanutbutter's informative thread. The soldier posted at the gates informed us that the workers currently receive one meal every two days from the developer. So, one half a meal per day. Which is of course unacceptable."

https://twitter.com/BKK_community/status/1416203007356637184

Thanks for the update.  It's a shame that people can be treated that way in the 21st Century - is like Egypt and the Israelites.

And COVID cases are bound to increase in a closed environment, possibly with new variants being created.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

Selfishly, very grateful my wife's family live in an orange zone. I imagine she'd be getting very frustrated with Thai govt and me (always me) if they lived in a deep red zone

don't know where but I would take any odds that very soon the whole of Thailand will be deep red - this delta variant spreads very quickly  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Even stricter measures? If numbers in Bkk are dropping (do we have the breakdown?) then current measures, in fact, are working. Likewise other deep reds.

On the other hand if numbers are rising because of spread to other provinces then then the solution is a clampdown on interprovincial travel and quarantine for those who have traveled, not more lockdown.

And as a fellow above wisely observed the effect of any measure will only be evident after a couple of weeks. So reacting herky jerky to daily numbers is foolish.

By current measures do you mean the ceassation of testing because hospitals are full or do you think the pseudo lockdown is is working thus only looking at the numbers and not the reality of the situation.?

Thailand's Vaccine Tracker (July 18, 2021) . About 5.2% of the population is fully vaccinated. 10,780,432 (+82,854) people have received the first dose, while 3,443,330 (+10,419) have been fully inoculated. #วัคซีนโควิด19 #COVID19 #ล็อกดาวน์ #KE

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1416650184688160768

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, anchadian said:

According to the organizers, #ม็อบ18กรกฎา will take place around the country and not just in Bangkok. We hope this does not become super spreader events.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1416641855215726601

All I can say is hold onto something firm as the country is about to get rocky.  Thanks @anchadian

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

They need to ease up on the testing otherwise this game is going to spiral way out of control.

they will put back price of rapid kits from 100b to 400b.

Those who can afford weekly testing do also have means to self isolate.

Those who can't spare that much money and admit themselves to field hospital for shelter, free food and some medical care, will stay homes with their extended families, until they achieve herd immunity.

Anyway, too late, now nothing can be sensibly done, testing or no  testing.

That is over 3 months after Thonglor cluster<deleted>, merry songran with covid parties.

The UK with a 50% vaccinated population has 52,000 daily cases and is experiencing a doubling of daily cases every two weeks but everyone there who wants them now has ALF (antigen) tests at home.  If positive they go for a PCR test to confirm and they don't have to queue up all night on a pavement in a polluted part of the city, risking catching COVID, if they don't already have it, and other diseases.

It stands to reason that, if Thais had antigen tests at home, the daily cases in the largely unvaccinated population would be at least 30,000 by now. That is probably why the government is stalling approval and distribution of the tests.

Really weird that in last year has few covid infection and they ban alcohol , had curfew, also every province was lock down! Now when they have over 10k case every day, they just drag out they willy! 

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1