Thailand reports another record high new COVID-19 cases

Jonathan Fairfield

5 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I am curious to what a soft lockdown is?  Sounds like a partial covidiot. or an almost sunny day.

or just a little pregnant?  Silliness.

Geezer

I'd say your slightly pregnant definition fits perfectly.  

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, sezze said:

They don't need to travel anywhere , they go to local shop and get/give it there . IMHO vaccines need to be mandatory , it will not stop the spread , but will certainly reduce it . But what happens more is that anti-vaxers are the ones who go to the hospitals , in large amount more then vaccinated people . As long as not everybody gets the vaccine , then the hospitals will be having a difficult time . Even 10% of population not vaccinated , that is for Thailand 6-7 million possible infections , even if only 1% of them end up in hospital , i'm not saying dead , im saying hospital need treatment , that's 60000 to 70000 patients .

Pity the Thai government doesn't think the same way . Being unable to procure the vaccines is a global problem but Thai contracts could have been made at an earlier date .  What cannot be denied is the lack of government communication to the Thai nation via TV , radio or newspapers .  Vaccine updates , social behavior and infected provinces should have been the basic weekly info and at the very least would have made the general public more aware of the severity of the situation and free covid testing without mandatory hospitalisation , free medical face masks and the government to have sole rights to vaccine ownership and inoculations , because private hospitals are somehow acquiring and hoarding vaccines or selling to those who wish to queue jump . Whoever is the appointed  chairman at the head of the vaccine rollout should be replaced asap . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

It’s interesting that you feel that your Western experience makes you an expert on all things Covid in Thailand. I’m torn between whether it’s arrogance, condescension or just plain “west is best” racism.

everyone of your assertions in relation to Thailand has been proven false and yet you persist with your “I know everything and you guys have it all to learn” type attitude. Is there a social status conferred by “I had a worse Covid experience than you”, I wonder?

strange, just strange.

LOL, are you saying that Thailand is different from the rest of the world and that the population will not react like the rest of us humans? ????

Now, that's definitely arrogance ????

Are you Thai? LOL

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, traveller101 said:

Hard Lockdowns work to bring the numbers down - temporarily.

Once a Lockdown ends and some of the restrictions are revoked, it's only a matter of time until another outbreak develops followed by .... the next Lockdown - rinse and repeat.

Just look at Australia - with greater Melbourne having entered the 5th Lockdown and Sydney the 3rd.

Presently 12 Million are in Lockdown.

And few pay attention to the 'collateral damage' Lockdowns cause, such as extreme economic hardship, skyrocketing mental illnesses, destroyed livelyhoods, avoidable deaths through failure of diagnosing and timely treatment of of other life-threatening diseases such as cancer and diabetes.

The only solution is to get the vulnerable (the old and people with co-morbidities) vaccinated as quickly as possible. Problem of course is the monumental failure by the Thai Government procuring enough of the good stuff. And deliver it to the ones most at risk. I know, wishful thinking on my part.

amen to that,

lockdowns save lives marginally, and at what costs? if saving 10K people at risks means the total collapse of the economy and the mental health of millions of people, then really, what do they achieve at the end? what's the net benefit?

lockdowns don't work and can't be a long term strategy. Maybe in the middle age it was, but today? this is hilarious,

<deleted>, Thailand kill more people on the road every year, and they haven't ban the use of cars or roads yet

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, traveller101 said:

Hard Lockdowns work to bring the numbers down - temporarily.

Once a Lockdown ends and some of the restrictions are revoked, it's only a matter of time until another outbreak develops followed by .... the next Lockdown - rinse and repeat.

Just look at Australia - with greater Melbourne having entered the 5th Lockdown and Sydney the 3rd.

Presently 12 Million are in Lockdown.

And few pay attention to the 'collateral damage' Lockdowns cause, such as extreme economic hardship, skyrocketing mental illnesses, destroyed livelyhoods, avoidable deaths through failure of diagnosing and timely treatment of of other life-threatening diseases such as cancer and diabetes.

The only solution is to get the vulnerable (the old and people with co-morbidities) vaccinated as quickly as possible. Problem of course is the monumental failure by the Thai Government procuring enough of the good stuff. And deliver it to the ones most at risk. I know, wishful thinking on my part.

Well , true , it doesn't solve things . It does slow/stops it for a certain time , since a virus does not care about borders and the virus is WW . It does give time to help the hospitals cope with the flow . And yes , vaccines are the only solution . But Thailand not got them , as with many other countries . So what to do ? no lockdowns and let it rush freely ? Kill even many many more then needed since hospitals can't cope with the flow ?

So saying lockdowns don't work is saying something else then don't solve covid . They do work for the time being .

• Like 2

I don't think that the Thai government will buy many foreign vaccines.  They appear to intend to depend primarily on the AstraZeneca Vaccine in combination with Sinovac.  I believe that the severe shortage of vaccines will continue indefinitely.  Most Thai people will need to face the virus under-vaccinated or unvaccinated.  What vaccines are available will be directed to Thais of every age in selected tourist centers.  There probably will not be sufficient vaccine to inoculate vulnerable Thais on a country-wide basis and certainly not enough to vaccinate all foreigners.  The various embassies should keep the pressure on to get all foreigners vaccinated or it won't happen.  It would be best for the embassies to supply vaccines to their own citizens because the Thai government will not vaccinate them all on a timely basis.  Certain locations contain large numbers of elderly and vulnerable foreigners.  Their embassies should provide vaccines to them urgently.

When I see large crowds of people lining up for a COVID test, I am upset. The crowds should be line up for vaccinations.

Thank you Thailand government for dropping the ball and not getting in vaccines for your population. I mean the other vaccines that are not the ineffective Chines stuff.  People who go for several tests are way more likely to get the COVID virus, than those who stay cautious and stay away from crowds.  My Thai relatives get tested at their company office, only as they say it is too risky to be in those big crowds anywhere.  I just do not get the people who feel that they have to get multiple tests, when they are feeling okay.  Makes no sense.

Geezer

20 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A day after setting new pandemic records of more than 10,000 daily COVID cases and more than 100 deaths, Thailand on Sunday reported an even higher daily new case count of 11,397 along with 101 new deaths. Sunday thus marked the country’s third consecutive day of record-high daily COVID case totals.

In the past four days, the daily new COVID case totals in Thailand have gone from 9,186 to 9,692 to 10,082 yesterday and finally 11,397 today. Sunday’s update brought Thailand’s cumulative COVID case count since the start of the pandemic to 403,386, passing the 400,000 mark for the first time.

Sunday’s update also came as the government mulled imposing tougher COVID restrictions in Bangkok and other hard-hit provinces. A government spokeswoman said the existing measures begun last Monday, including an overnight curfew and curbs on interprovincial travel, weren’t having enough of an impact and also often weren’t gaining enough public compliance.

The 101 new COVID deaths reported Sunday marked a decline from the record 141 reported on Saturday, but still was Thailand’s second highest daily death toll of the pandemic. Total COVID deaths in the country now have reached 3,341, with COVID hospitalizations also setting new record highs each day.

The new COVID cases reported Sunday included 11,079 among the general public, also a new daily record, and 318 cases from the nation’s prisons. Overall, Thailand's current level of daily COVID cases has almost doubled from the 6,000 range daily case counts of two weeks ago.

Health experts said the rising COVID cases and death tolls in Thailand have been spurred by the highly contagious Delta (India) variant of the coronavirus that’s becoming prevalent in the country. The pandemic has led to increased poverty, rising unemployment and simmering protests against the government.

Lately, news reports have begun showing COVID cases camped outside near hospitals unable to find beds, long queues of people seeking tests at COVID testing centers but ultimately being turned away for lack of capacity, and an aid group calling on residents to hang flags outside their homes if they need food or medical aid.

A COVID outbreak that once was centered mainly in Bangkok and several surrounding provinces recently has spread nationwide, with all 77 of Thailand's provinces often reporting new cases on a daily basis.

On Saturday, new case clusters were reported at a frozen seafood factory in Samut Sakhon, a metal parts factory in Chonburi, a furniture factory and a worker’s housing facility in Nonthaburi, an incense factory in Nakhon Pathom, a television screen factory in Prachinburi, at the Chao Prom market and a lathe factory in Ayutthaya, a cement factory in Saraburi and a fruit cannery in Kanchanaburi.

Thailand on Sunday once again reported new record-high levels of active COVID cases hospitalized (116,135) and the share of those in critical condition (3,464). The share of critical patients on ventilators rose from 839 to 846, one case below Friday's record 847 total, mainly because of the recent spike in new deaths.

Total COVID hospitalizations have almost doubled in the past two weeks, and the share of those in critical condition has doubled in the past three weeks. As of Sunday, Thailand's tally of critical condition COVID patients had risen for 29 days in a row.

On Friday, Ramathibodi Hospital, one of the main and largest government hospitals in Bangkok, announced the suspension of all elective surgery appointments and some ward services until further notice, saying COVID cases have pushed the hospital to the brink.

The hospital cited a soaring number of COVID infections among the medical staff that had now reached about 300, the demands of caring for about 1,000 hospitalized COVID patients, 350 more in home isolation and 200 other COVID patients waiting to be admitted for treatment.

this is only from all who were tested so add another 10k for bkk only 

2 minutes ago, mtbre said:

Well all the predictions for tourits coming to the land of smiles are <deleted>,thailand as a tourist nation is finished kaput.  ????

Now there's the understatement of the century.  

They are never going there under these circumstances.

11 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Why should the US taxpayer bail out Thailand? 

Why don't the many Thai billionaires and the proprietor put their hands in their pockets? 

The US has already donated vaccines to Thailand at the taxpayer's expense. 

Thailand is NOT a third world country. Thailand has plenty of money. Thailand lacks other expertise it needs

https://www.voanews.com/east-asia-pacific/tax-hike-rich-may-be-needed-pay-thailands-pandemic-debt-world-bank-says

Edited by bangon04
added
  • Like 1

Bigger question is, Will the construction sites still be allowed to work and the migrant workers go to and from, is that considered a necessity within the scope of the Royal Gazettes publication of the measures, just a question is all it is.  I mean if I am required to stay home and others are told to work from home unless its a necessity I see it as an issue, but then money speaks apparently.  To allow certain things to stay open and force others to close in light of this issue is a true misstep. 

Edited by ThailandRyan

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Bigger question is, Will the construction sites still be allowed to work and the migrant workers go to and from, is that considered a necessity within the scope of the Royal Gazettes publication of the measures, just a question is all it is.  I mean if I am required to stay home and others are told to work from home unless its a necessity I see it as an issue, but then money speaks apparently.  To allow certain things to stay open and force others to close in light of this issue is a true misstep. 

Some construction sites re-opened last week in Bangkok.  They proudly display signs showing the percentage of their work force that has been vaccinated.

• Thanks 1