Thailand reports another record high new COVID-19 cases

Jonathan Fairfield

11 minutes ago, superal said:

So you have completed your 14 days quarantine in Phuket or Samui and fly back to the hub of Thailand which is Bangkok . From there you want to travel to your final destination by flight or bus but both will be out of service (   I was told by pal whose Thai wife told him that farangs cannot use buses , start today) . So all that is left will be a taxi or maybe train if they are still running .

The sandbox is increasingly isolated. Pure tourists may be put off by the hassle, and returning people will for at least a limited time, find themselves stuck in Phuket. Maybe it’s better than nothing, hard for me to say.

16 minutes ago, superal said:

So you have completed your 14 days quarantine in Phuket or Samui and fly back to the hub of Thailand which is Bangkok . From there you want to travel to your final destination by flight or bus but both will be out of service (   I was told by pal whose Thai wife told him that farangs cannot use buses , start today) . So all that is left will be a taxi or maybe train if they are still running .

I remember last time some bus companies said "no farangs".  Once the likes of Richard Barrow publicised it, they changed their policy (if that's what it was, rather than an ignorant individual acting on his/her own) pretty quickly!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wensiensheng said:

The sandbox is increasingly isolated. Pure tourists may be put off by the hassle, and returning people will for at least a limited time, find themselves stuck in Phuket. Maybe it’s better than nothing, hard for me to say.

What do you think ? If you want to travel , and i surely can imagine wanting to go Thailand , speaking from a tourist point of view . Can go to Thailand , but  you need to be vaccinated , have COE , special insurance from Thailand , extra tests before travel , prob extra insurance from home country ( i can't even imagine in times like this to go travel without stuff like that , only counting on Thai insurance ) , take time from work but not sure if you can come back at the spoken time , possible quarantines , heavy rising numbers in the country , ... now you start to see how really desperate you need to be to want to travel for 1000s of km/miles to go there ... nobody without relatives/family/business , in his/her right mind will want to do that . 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

So let’s sum up where we stand then.

1. You have given up on your assertion that people aren’t interested in Covid stats. Very wise since the mere existence of this thread show that they are

2. You have moved away from your “government control by fear” theory. Also wise, since the Thai government has always sought to downplay the pandemic by limiting testing and even to the extent of deliberately concealing cases. Hardly conducive to inciting fear.

3. With the elimination of 1, and 2 above, goes the concept of actually suppressing Covid information in order to prevent government fear control. That was always contradictory and nonsensical from the start.

now we are at the point where you simply want to provide mental well being advice based on your considerable experience because, you aren’t even in Thailand. How inconvenient for you that the first recorded  case of Covid outside of China was……..in Thailand. So whichever European country you are in, Thailand has been dealing with Covid for longer.

in any case, despite the nonsense within your first post, I would like to thank you for your well wishes and advice. 

like I said, you are not there yet LOL

people are looking at stats out of curiosity or to appease their fears, not as a strategy to fight covid, it's too late for that

except those daily stats will not appease your fears eventually, it will create more anxiety

but you are not there yet, let's see your input in 12 months time ????

good luck in your daily dose of fear ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I've ordered enough vaccines so everybody in the country can get a shot, just don't ask me when that is however. 

Think I can help you out there. Hopefully early next year for adequate vaccine supplies.

In the meantime let's open everything. 

All the bars and night clubs. Restaurants. Go for it. 

High on the list is to get markets up and running. 

Schools, naturally. ......

I need to watch Braveheart again. You can't take my freedom.

Just thought I would try and top some of the nonsense from some on this thread today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another death at home. This time the volunteer service was unable to pick up the patient because they don't have a permit for traveling in the curfew. I've not attached the photos as one of them is a little too graphic for here I think.

"A 59-yr-old #COVID19 female patient passed away shortly before 6am today. She tested positive on Jul 10 & #Zendai volunteer group was unable to transport her to hospital last night due to the curfew. #Thailand #whatishappeninginthailand photo ht Zendai"

https://twitter.com/PravitR/status/1416750448166412289

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Well, I might not put it that way, but if offered a vaccine and they refuse, they do bring the consequences on themselves. Unfortunately, it’s possible that others may also suffer if the anti vaxer spreads the virus as a consequence of their beliefs.

I do think that anti vaxxers should also be denied certain “privileges “ so to speak, such as international travel and other activities that might endanger others. Not as punishment, but to protect others. In the same way that yellow fever, malaria and typhoid vaccinations are required for some destinations. But those subjects are for debate at a future time, first vaccines need to be rolled out worldwide to those that want them.

Anti-vaxers aren't travelling anywhere, so I wouldn't worry about it.  That is an indisputable fact.  It doesn't matter how one feels or doesn't feel, how one thinks it should be or shouldn't be.  It's the way it will be and there isn't a soul in the tourism industry that thinks any other way that I know of.  And even if they didn't it doesn't matter anyways.

When it comes to the other points in your argument, I do agree but I cannot control that.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Another death at home. This time the volunteer service was unable to pick up the patient because they don't have a permit for traveling in the curfew. I've not attached the photos as one of them is a little too graphic for here I think.

"A 59-yr-old #COVID19 female patient passed away shortly before 6am today. She tested positive on Jul 10 & #Zendai volunteer group was unable to transport her to hospital last night due to the curfew. #Thailand #whatishappeninginthailand photo ht Zendai"

https://twitter.com/PravitR/status/1416750448166412289

The curfew stops medical transfers?  That doesn't sound right.

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

The curfew stops medical transfers?  That doesn't sound right.

Did you read the thread on the tweet?

Not all #Zendai volunteers carry special govt permits to be able to be out after 9pm curfew. They say they're applying for permits but it's taking time to obtain it for all volunteers. #Thailand #whatishappeninginthailand #COVID19

https://twitter.com/PravitR/status/1416759078441816067

10 minutes ago, anchadian said:

And don't forget all those prisoners, sorry construction workers who are locked up.  Get them back to work to help Thailand build for the future.

How did I forget the potential 4 day long weekend next weekend. 

Open up them highways to up country.

1 hour ago, utalkin2me said:

If closed borders actually helped, why do we even have the delta strain?

The answer is, they don’t help. They would help, if it was a 100% perfectly closed border. Just like a (unattainable) 100% perfect lock down would work. 

I am honestly surprised halfway intelligent people can walk through a Thai market and even consider these regulations can be effective. All these regulations are useless. They are half ass. 

The only effective tool we have are vaccines. Open everything.

As for the rest of it, fool yourself all you want. None of those regulations helped. https://academic.oup.com/cesifo/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cesifo/ifab003/6199605

I think the operative phrase is 'half ass'.

Nothing works like that.

A vaccination drive won't work if it's like that too.

30 minutes ago, sezze said:

Yes been telling that all along . Lockdowns do work , but the sooner installed and the harder they are , the better they work . Soft lockdowns are easier to manage for the people , but simply have much less effect , creating much more problems after ,and going from 1 measure to another for unknown time .

China was right in this case in Wuhan where they stopped everything for +/-6weeks , and after life was pretty much "normal" for people living there . Countries with soft lockdowns haven't come out of it since the start .

Problem is that 1 country can only do 1 thing but the virus is not recognizing borders , it does not need passports . So as long as it isn't solved worldwide , we will stay in this mess , in any form or another .

Soft lockdowns only work with small clusters and weaker variants.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Did you read the thread on the tweet?

Not all #Zendai volunteers carry special govt permits to be able to be out after 9pm curfew. They say they're applying for permits but it's taking time to obtain it for all volunteers. #Thailand #whatishappeninginthailand #COVID19

https://twitter.com/PravitR/status/1416759078441816067

Yeah; as I said, it doesn't sound right. Crazy.

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yeah; as I said, it doesn't sound right. Crazy.

Well there is your explanation by the volunteer group. You can get further info by replying to the tweet. 

Edited by Bkk Brian

15 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Anti-vaxers aren't travelling anywhere, so I wouldn't worry about it.  That is an indisputable fact.  It doesn't matter how one feels or doesn't feel, how one thinks it should be or shouldn't be.  It's the way it will be and there isn't a soul in the tourism industry that thinks any other way that I know of.  And even if they didn't it doesn't matter anyways.

When it comes to the other points in your argument, I do agree but I cannot control that.  

They don't need to travel anywhere , they go to local shop and get/give it there . IMHO vaccines need to be mandatory , it will not stop the spread , but will certainly reduce it . But what happens more is that anti-vaxers are the ones who go to the hospitals , in large amount more then vaccinated people . As long as not everybody gets the vaccine , then the hospitals will be having a difficult time . Even 10% of population not vaccinated , that is for Thailand 6-7 million possible infections , even if only 1% of them end up in hospital , i'm not saying dead , im saying hospital need treatment , that's 60000 to 70000 patients .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well there is your explanation by the volunteer group. You can get further info by replying to the tweet. 

One would hope the relatives and loved ones of the woman who died will ask for a bit more than an explanation!

28 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

like I said, you are not there yet LOL

people are looking at stats out of curiosity or to appease their fears, not as a strategy to fight covid, it's too late for that

except those daily stats will not appease your fears eventually, it will create more anxiety

but you are not there yet, let's see your input in 12 months time ????

good luck in your daily dose of fear ????

It’s interesting that you feel that your Western experience makes you an expert on all things Covid in Thailand. I’m torn between whether it’s arrogance, condescension or just plain “west is best” racism.

everyone of your assertions in relation to Thailand has been proven false and yet you persist with your “I know everything and you guys have it all to learn” type attitude. Is there a social status conferred by “I had a worse Covid experience than you”, I wonder?

strange, just strange.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

No idea.  But it's sad that common sense doesn't prevail in a situation like that.  

Well she tested positive a week prior and was still at home so its a case of full hospitals again. 

• Like 1

Chonburi Governor orders temporary closure/sealed measures of multiple construction camps and factory

The Chonburi Governor released an extensive order late this evening, around 9:00 P.M., closing a factory and sealing/closing four construction worker camps temporarily in the province due to Covid-19 concerns.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/18/chonburi-governor-orders-temporary-closure-sealed-measures-of-multiple-construction-camps-and-factory/

• Thanks 1