Thailand reports another record high new COVID-19 cases

Jonathan Fairfield

24 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I really don’t understand your point.

you are suggesting that they should suppress information that keeps the population informed about a virus pandemic in their own country, because the information they receive creates government control? I have to be honest and say that makes no sense to me.

I can understand a call for accurate reporting, or more accurate case and death stats, but suppressing information seems to actually be a form of government control.

I think people need accurate information. They may or may not be afraid, but at least they will be informed.

as to civil unrest, what do you think would happen if case numbers and deaths are no longer reported?

not suppressing the info, but not putting it on front page news every day, it doesn't change anything at this stage, we know there is a pandemic. 

we had that in Europe for months, and it eventually backfired

for governments looking for total control and creating fear, it's great, it puts your whole population on notice, and they will follow any stupid rules you can come up with

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, daveAustin said:

Could be, in the UK before they had a truly massive industrial scale nationwide network of 'testing factories' setup last year the chief scientist said they know for sure that the detection rate was something between 5% and 10% of the real number of cases - largely due to there being so many asymptomatics - and nobody who didn't feel ill at all at the time bothered going for a test because it's a slight inconvenience, and why would they.

Here it's weeks in prison if you test positive so they will do anything to avoid a test unless they're ill and need treatment.

They seem to be taking the Chinese approach, I just wonder when they will start welding doors to keep people in their houses.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Just heard something on  BBC World, " The situation here is a complete catastrophe and no one trusts the junta government to provide them with accurate information or adequate healthcare."  

Eventually I figured out they were talking about Burma!

government not giving accurate info is a given, and not as dramatic as it sounds, the info is pointless and too late at this stage

however, governments not giving adequate healthcare should be the focus of the news and the real outrage, not the number of cases (which is not under the control of anyone now, except the virus itself)

• Like 1

Blaim the Thai government. They are the ones who sat on their hands, while most of the world signed contracts for various vaccines under development a year ago.

Tons of people on these fora questioned Thailands approach to the missing vaccine deals, and now we see what the result is. 

Here in Denmark we have rising numbers again, but since so many has begun/finished the vaccination program, we are down to like 55 people in hospital in the entire country and most of the restrictions are gone. 

Just held several euro championship soccer matches with 25.000 people at stadion. 

Hardly any spikes after that. 

All thanks to the vaccines. 

Hopefully The Thai population will get their shots soon, but also hope they get the correct ones which has better protection against the current mutations.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Virt said:

Blaim the Thai government. They are the ones who sat on their hands, while most of the world signed contracts for various vaccines under development a year ago.

Tons of people on these fora questioned Thailands approach to the missing vaccine deals, and now we see what the result is. 

Here in Denmark we have rising numbers again, but since so many has begun/finished the vaccination program, we are down to like 55 people in hospital in the entire country and most of the restrictions are gone. 

Just held several euro championship soccer matches with 25.000 people at stadion. 

Hardly any spikes after that. 

All thanks to the vaccines. 

Hopefully The Thai population will get their shots soon, but also hope they get the correct ones which has better protection against the current mutations.

yep, and for Thailand, it's more likely not before the end of 2022

they lost 1 year, but even with the right contracts, don't think they would have got their doses this year

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Derek B said:

Lateral flow tests provide a quick result, using a device similar to a pregnancy test and are intended for use in those without symptoms, according to the UK NHS. PCR tests are mainly used when people have coronavirus symptoms or have already had a positive lateral flow result, and are sent to laboratories to be checked. The NHS suggests people do a lateral flow test twice a week to check if they have the virus.

Source: BBC News Services.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing/how-to-do-a-test-at-home-or-at-a-test-site/how-to-do-a-rapid-lateral-flow-test/

Is Thailand using Lateral Flow Testing ?

I'm currently in the UK and desperately trying to return to Thailand (but failing).

Had my 2nd AZ vaccine on 19th June. My friend (also fully vaccinated) tested positive for Covid 10 days later. I immediately had a government PCR test which returned negative even though I had symptoms. I availed myself of a couple of boxes of free Lateral Flow Tests and have tested myself daily ever since. After 3 days I tested positive and self isolated. 5 days later I tested negative and have done ever since. I no longer have any symptoms and am no longer isolating. The UK government is unaware that I have had Covid.

Free lateral flow tests would be a big benefit to the Thai population. However complete and effective vaccinations are the answer. I had something no worse than the flu and didn't feel the need to visit a hospital, I put that down to having already been fully vaccinated.

• Like 2

Anyway, it's all kicking off in Bangkok as the protests against the government's Covid policy escalate.  Maybe they'll be successful?  Good luck to them!

anti-government protesters momentarily dispersed as many nursing the effects of the tear gas fired by police earlier near the government house. Unclear if they'll back down or push ahead again soon #ม็อบ18กรกฎา

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes of course but there was a hint of sarcasm associated to the BKK, however its also a reality its spreading out fast and already out of control. Provinces who thought they were safe are now in deep danger of also getting overwhelmed.

The one positive about the outer provinces and villages is the population density as it creates a natural social distancing however in the towns and cities this is not so

Disagree again. Sorry mate. No social distancing out in the villages. Very communual. Odd thing is with the first lockdown last year people actually stayed home in the villages. Well at least my family did. This time it's a lot worse and they don't seem to understand. I'm very worried about what's on the horizon and absolutely furious at these idiots running things. 

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Disagree again. Sorry mate. No social distancing out in the villages. Very communual. Odd thing is with the first lockdown last year people actually stayed home in the villages. Well at least my family did. This time it's a lot worse and they don't seem to understand. I'm very worried about what's on the horizon and absolutely furious at these idiots running things. 

Not sure what you're not agreeing with. Basic science tells us population density matters when a virus is spreading, although you'll find examples in villages where this is not the case, generally its far less than a big city.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ed strong said:

In UK its over 60 % of adult population now double jabbed and cases are rising.

Cases really mean nothing, you have to look at the testing cycles of the PCR test, some Countries run them at 30 some at 45 cycle thresholds which effects the results and different countries run the tests at different cycles, worth looking up Kary Mullins on youtube, he invented the PCR test and won a nobel prize for it.

PCR is not a “test “ per se, it is a process for isolating and amplifying sequences of genetic material in order to better study them.

This has been debunked so many times, you should be ashamed of yourself for posting it here.

You are confused as to the nature of a PCR test, someone has passed you misinformation, and you do not have the specialized educational background to know that you were sent a lie.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not sure what you're not agreeing with. Basic science tells us population density matters when a virus is spreading, although you'll find examples in villages where this is not the case, generally its far less than a big city.

Households and extendeded families mixing. Population density means nothing when you're under the same roof and mixing with your neighbours. The spread will continue. Sure high density higher spread but the provinces are on their way up.

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

Households and extendeded families mixing. Population density means nothing when you're under the same roof and mixing with your neighbours. The spread will continue. Sure high density higher spread but the provinces are on their way up.

Really confused now, in my original post I said:

"Provinces who thought they were safe are now in deep danger of also getting overwhelmed."

So what exactly are you disagreeing with?

1 hour ago, GrandPapillon said:

not suppressing the info, but not putting it on front page news every day, it doesn't change anything at this stage, we know there is a pandemic. 

we had that in Europe for months, and it eventually backfired

for governments looking for total control and creating fear, it's great, it puts your whole population on notice, and they will follow any stupid rules you can come up with

If it’s not on the front page, where will it be? And wherever that is, won’t people look straight there for the information?

i can’t speak for Europe, but in Thailand there are unfortunately too many instances where people do not follow rules that are put in place. There is a sub section of the population who carry on activities as though there is nothing happening.

that’s not to say that the government doesn’t see a benefit in stopping demonstrations, but they can do that without hiding important Covid stats. The PM has absolute power with or without Covid.

I’m sorry, I don’t see the point of hiding important information that people  actually want to see.

2 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

So they risk a 40K baht fine? One filled bed would more than cover that. Ridiculous.

"If the hospital is found guilty, the hospital operator would face at least two years' imprisonment, or 40,000 baht fine, or both," he said.

This is not a problem that the authorities want to have now and 40,000 won't stop it from happening again. It's quite likely that they won't settle for only the fine in this case. Not saying that it (in reality) will be 2 years either.  

38 minutes ago, polpott said:

I'm currently in the UK and desperately trying to return to Thailand (but failing).

Had my 2nd AZ vaccine on 19th June. My friend (also fully vaccinated) tested positive for Covid 10 days later. I immediately had a government PCR test which returned negative even though I had symptoms. I availed myself of a couple of boxes of free Lateral Flow Tests and have tested myself daily ever since. After 3 days I tested positive and self isolated. 5 days later I tested negative and have done ever since. I no longer have any symptoms and am no longer isolating. The UK government is unaware that I have had Covid.

Free lateral flow tests would be a big benefit to the Thai population. However complete and effective vaccinations are the answer. I had something no worse than the flu and didn't feel the need to visit a hospital, I put that down to having already been fully vaccinated.

But as demonstrated but your own experience lateral flow test do not work well in the initial stages of infection and also at the trailing end.

False negatives are common in theses periods. Meaning people will still go out believing they are negative. That is why they are not widely used. 

One post has been removed for linking to disallowed social media content, and another post has been removed for "shouting" in all CAPS...

Re social media, please see the forum's standing rule:

18) Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source.

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

If it’s not on the front page, where will it be? And wherever that is, won’t people look straight there for the information?

i can’t speak for Europe, but in Thailand there are unfortunately too many instances where people do not follow rules that are put in place. There is a sub section of the population who carry on activities as though there is nothing happening.

that’s not to say that the government doesn’t see a benefit in stopping demonstrations, but they can do that without hiding important Covid stats. The PM has absolute power with or without Covid.

I’m sorry, I don’t see the point of hiding important information that people  actually want to see.

what do you know what people want? and how getting that info daily any helpful in any decision your personally take? none,

the stats are for governments to act or strategize, which obviously they can't, people are not even in the picture, the stats are insignificant at this stage to prepare for your future

the info is there if you are looking for it, but for the rest of the population, eventually they will stop looking at it, worse they will look away anything about COVID. Just wait to see it happen.

I love watching news, but eventually during our second lockdowns, millions of TV followers had to turn it off completely, as it was saturated with stats and discussions about COVID. Conflicting information, and solutions etc... completely pointless and most people got tired. Nobody was watching the news anymore.

maybe you are not at this stage yet, but the earlier you switch off from the daily stats, the better you will feel eventually, and that will give you a clearer mind to face this difficult situation, otherwise you will fall into the fear trap that the Thai government will be too happy to setup for you.

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Really confused now, in my original post I said:

"Provinces who thought they were safe are now in deep danger of also getting overwhelmed."

So what exactly are you disagreeing with?

Population density. I don't think it matters that much this time around because this delta is so infectious and airborne. Again sure higher density faster spread but this thing goes at it's own pace where ever it is. Thing is to stop it early in it's tracks. Too late here.  We all knew (that is the rational ones on here) that as soon as Mr. Empty Head said he was going to imprison those poor buggers in BKK work sites that the exodus and hence spread was on. I'm not having a go at you@Bkk Brian

3 hours ago, anchadian said:

National Vaccination Rollout:

DAY 33: 399,908

DAY 34: 93,284 <— Saturday

DAY 35: 100,025 <— Sunday

DAY 36: 338,980

DAY 37: 322,488

DAY 38: 303,036

DAY 39: 289,998

DAY 40: 307,134

DAY 41: 93,273 <— Saturday

TOTAL: 10,123,241 doses

Strange to see such low number for Saturday after all those pictures were posted on social media yesterday of extremely crowded vaccination centres. What went wrong? #Thailand

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1416666730831618050

Has Mr Barrow only just noticed that Saturday and Sunday numbers are always low, and that if vaccines are available, vaccination centers are always crowded on weekdays? 

it’s been like that since early June!

• Like 1