Thailand expands lockdown areas as COVID-19 cases surge

webfact

9 minutes ago, 10baht said:

Maybe I do not quite get what you mean by deaths? Opposite of living? You check what it is like with their restrictions and tell me you think that is living.

Well as an outsider with kins and business partner in China, I can assure you, they are living damn well by any standard and probably better than they ever have. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Interesting that they now consider tourists for reopening programs in the same category as medical flights and emergency landings !

Money, money ,money makes the world go round, as the song goes.

1 minute ago, riverhigh said:

A lot of my friends have given up on the online system due to technical issues and simmply don't trust the mail. The 90 day report is counter productive and now a health issue. If the Thai government wants to promote Thailand as a place to retire and tourism in general they need to get their heads out of the sand. I would like to dispute your argument that "This is not an issue for the wider Thai population being impacted by Covid". This is a significant issue for Thais living in tourist areas who rely on the foreign retiree and tourist foor their livelihood. 

I was fortunate during the last long outage that I did not become due... and have always managed to do the online 90 day report easily. In fact, I will be giving it another go this week.

I do not grasp your latter point, Thais do not do 90 day reports and are likely completely unaware we do them, outside the Visa Shop staff..... I am retired here and it hasn't deterred me..... the damned extension annually is more of an issue.  Hardly an on topic issue. 

• Like 1

The never-ending madness continues. Never stops. Nobody's staying home. I'm not. Will adhere to the curfew, but will be out and about as much and more than ever. All this will do is seal the fate of hundreds of more small businesses and more poverty, mental health problems and suicide. 

Off to the market, get a last 3 full meal day of dine-in, a swim at the pool and a stroll/hang on the beach. Most of this will continue every day, for myself and most others, throughout this lockdown. Same as all the others. Ridiculous this is. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, lks7689 said:

Well as an outsider with kins and business partner in China, I can assure you, they are living damn well by any standard and probably better than they ever have. 

Give a soi dog a bone and he is living better than he ever has. Doesn't mean the impoverish in the West would trade places with them. An average Western couple  of today is living better than royalty in the 1700's. It is all relative, but facts can not be changed, except in places like China and Russia and N. Korea. Here 2+2 = 4.  Go live where you want. And I wish the best for you kin.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Stepping up efforts, under consideration. JUST ORDER THE ******* JABS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STOP exporting AZ vax, you have Thai people dying HERE, vaccinate Thailand FIRST! Then help the others by all means.

Yesterday morning I managed to get my first free Astro Zenica vaccination (for those over 75 yrs) at the Bang Sue Central Station Government Centre, Bangkok. Two hours in and out. Well organised with the thousands present being patient and obeying the procedures.

There were three entrances, the first being for over 75s with a carer. Disappointing thing was that, whilst all Thai carers were also vaccinated, my Filipina wife was refused. Reason given, not enough vaccine doses available.

I thought the aim was to get as many of the population as possible vaccinated? In the meantime, the Government is allowing vaccine doses to be exported. Shameful!

Then we have some hospitals asking for Baht 3,000+ up front for vaccinations, supposedly coming in October, without any refund if they don't. BPH seems to be going about it the right way by asking their customers to confirm that they want the Moderna vaccine so that they can get some idea of numbers.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai government on Sunday announced plans for a tighter lockdown in Bangkok and high-risk provinces next week, suspending most domestic flights and expanding curfew areas after the country reported a third straight day of record COVID-19 case numbers.

2 months ago would have bee better.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Interesting that they now consider tourists for reopening programs in the same category as medical flights and emergency landings !

Tourists are a shot in the arm for Thailands economy... ?

Nothing much else is available.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NemoH said:

Based on the stats - of 403,386 cases and 3,341 fatalities, there is 0.005% of covid amongst Thailand 7.5m population and a death rate 0.0008 % of those infected... ?? Is this true?

No. Figure out the numbers and how to do the maths.

70 m population.

Infected 0.6 %

Death when infected 0.8 %.

When you consider the lack of testing and suppression of reporting, the numbers are likely to be at least 5 to 10 times that number.

Its likely to get nearer that as the sitiuation is now clearly beyond hiding.

Edited by jojothai
Correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's vaccine rollout, which has depended on the Sinovac and AstraZeneca vaccines, began in June. So far about 5% of the 66 million population have been doubly vaccinated.

God forbid Thailand ever went to war with this lot in charge, they'd be slaughtered in the first day... scarp the subs you won't need them... buy some bl**dy vaccines.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, diddygq said:

Only one country? What about Taiwan, New Zealand, Australia, etc?  Or you could argue that Sweden did it right. They almost had no restrictions whatsoever and just kept living normally. 

You do of course pick three island nations there … and Sweden? Yes, there’s certainly an argument as to whether they did it right.
Again, surrounding Scandi countries made Sweden a virtual island once the Swedish strategy became clear. 

Truth be told and to the shame of Homo Sap., nobody has got it right for more than the blink of an eye.

Maybe generational change required.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I know it may sound selfish, but why on earth did the Thai AZ producer ever contract to export vaccines from Thailand when they had no proven capability to produce the vaccine and they have/had not even come close to meeting the domestic demand.  Anutin doesn't need to seek any approval - the government can mandate that all locally produced vaccines will be sold/distributed locally until 'x' percentage of the Thai populace is vaccinated - if the Thai producer agreed to export the reported 40% of their production, it surely was for a profit motive, in that they could charge foreign buyers more than they can charge domestically - just another example of the greed and corruption that has surrounded the distribution of vaccines - meanwhile hundreds of people are dying every day - it is a shame to see this government incompetence continue week after week.

• Sad 1