Import Duties In Thailand For Electronics

Having found the Thai Customs website useful, you may find this list of HS codes helpful to identify more easily the products in which you are interested. From this list, which has the codes for the EU, take only the first six digits and insert them, without spaces, in the corresponding field on the Thai Customs site. Save the PDF file to your computer, open it with Acrobat reader, do a text search. 58 hits for "electronic", for example.

Somebody knows any details about ASEAN -

are there special duties-rules between the involved countries?

There is AFTA (ASEAN Free Trade Area), with reduced tariffs on a very limited number of items. On the Thai Customs calculator, an “x” in the columns indicates that the tariff shown on the same line is applicable for that column. Don’t know what ITA stands for.

--------------

Maestro

Maestro,

du bist ja Schweizer, daher schreibe ich es auf deutsch:

Erstmal dankeschön für die 888 Seiten Zusammenstellung!

Diese PDF-Datei ist ein schönes Beispiel dafür, wie kompliziert es in de Politik zugeht, es ist wirklich alles geregelt, was irgendwie als Handelsware gelten kann. Reglementiert wird da vorallem der Import von Nahrungsmittel und Rawmaterial von Th in die EU.

Sehr interessant, möchte wissen, wieviele Lobbygruppen da in der EU mitgewirkt haben!

Gruss, Claude

Sorry, my english is too poor to answer.

Sorry, my english is too poor to answer.

Sorry, confederato, only English allowed in this forum.

If your English is bad, how is your Italian, Latin, and Esperanto? My German is a bit rusty, and wouldn’t be allowed on this forum anyway, nor would the three other languages I have mentioned.

--------------

Maestro

Sorry, I didnt read the forum rules!

Thanx for the list of HS codecs conatining 888 pages!

There I can see how difficult it is to regulate a trade between countries - here EU and Thailand.

Almost everything is restricted. It is mostly about the food and raw material imports from Thailand to the EU. There must be a lot of lobby groups working in Brussels!

Cheers, Claude

Has anyone tried importing electronic equipment into Thailand? I bought some hi-fi in Singapore (second hand) last year and had it sent by courier. Despite it being "undervalued", but not obviously, the charges piled up for duty and customs clearance. You don't end up paying the stated amounts on that website.

I would still like to import another piece of kit from Singapore but am reluctant until I find a cheaper method. If anyone has any ideas let me know!

Hi CarlBkk. I've also thought about importing audio components from Singapore or Malaysia where a distributor can be located for certain brands that's not available in Thailand or where it might be cheaper than LOS, thinking I could import them duty-free taking advantage of the AFTA, but decided against it as I found out it's only goods with manufacturing origin within ASEAN that can be imported under AFTA. I'm no longer seeking to buy one from outside the local distribution channel not only because the price advantage isn't that great importing one yourself (you're basically levied import duty and VAT twice in LOS and in the country you shipped it from) but also for the fear you can' get any update/repair service from the local distributor.

What brand/model audio component did you buy and what was your declared value (CIF)? How much duty and VAT did they charge you? Heard import duty on amplifier is at 10% where optical disc player is at 30%. Loud speakers also fall in 10% duty rate. BTW there will be an audio fair at Emerald hotel at the end of next month.

I bought Ayre pre/power amp (K-5Xe and V-5Xe) from local distributor (Grammophone at Paragon) in the end just two months ago. Paid close to 400K Baht with two AC cables (Ayre and Nordost).

Hi CarlBkk. I've also thought about importing audio components from Singapore or Malaysia where a distributor can be located for certain brands that's not available in Thailand or where it might be cheaper than LOS, thinking I could import them duty-free taking advantage of the AFTA, but decided against it as I found out it's only goods with manufacturing origin within ASEAN that can be imported under AFTA. I'm no longer seeking to buy one from outside the local distribution channel not only because the price advantage isn't that great importing one yourself (you're basically levied import duty and VAT twice in LOS and in the country you shipped it from) but also for the fear you can' get any update/repair service from the local distributor.

What brand/model audio component did you buy and what was your declared value (CIF)? How much duty and VAT did they charge you? Heard import duty on amplifier is at 10% where optical disc player is at 30%. Loud speakers also fall in 10% duty rate. BTW there will be an audio fair at Emerald hotel at the end of next month.

I bought Ayre pre/power amp (K-5Xe and V-5Xe) from local distributor (Grammophone at Paragon) in the end just two months ago. Paid close to 400K Baht with two AC cables (Ayre and Nordost).

Hi Nordlys! A long time we haven't chatted. I've just come back from Singapore (you guessed it....the Martin Logan shop!) and they'd basically ship the speakers (100kg) as used and of a value of $1800 singapore dollars. They didn't mention anything about charges leaving the country, but I am worried about charges the Thai end. When I imported my second-hand Krell from Singapore I was so confused with what was going on between the courier, customs and me that I didn't know what I was paying for in the end. All I know is that it was in the region of 20K baht.

I understand your concerns over warranty, but I have a little information on that which is quite pleasing but can't be broadcast - it resulted in me having no concerns about that. I heard the ML Summit's with an Ayre set up by the way (Ayre are much talked about at the mo!) - did you audition any of the top-notch kit in KS Sons in Paragon too? What saving did the Ayre set-up offer you over the listed US price and Singaporean price do you know? I'm abroad right at the end of June for a month which is a shame, but if the show is before the 22nd I'll be there and we should meet up.