Are Typical Thai "Tokay" Lizards Dangerous? If not, then WHY are people so afraid of them?

Tokays. Ignore them and they wil ignore you. Have several that appear on my house wall every night. Except when it is windy. Have only had to chase one out of the house once, but another gone got in, above the ceiling. That wasn't nice, being woken at 3am by their loud to-kay cry.

I have heard that if you try and pick them up, they can bite, and have strong jaws. If you look on youtube there are videos  of people handling them with welding gloves or a thick towel.

They are nothing to be scared of if you just leave them alone. The one that can give a bite, or a strong whack with its tail is the Monitor Lizard or Hia as the Thais call it.  

In  Isaan they eat those little those little lizards with the long tail. I think they are called Frilled lizards. Cook them and chop them up in a salad.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 2

During the Vietnam War, American GIs called the tokay the "f--- you lizard" after its distinctive cry.

Tokays are nothing to be afraid of and they're not aggressive. We have them around our house and leave them alone, although one of my adult daughters is quite afraid of them.

We do call the security guards when one of these shows up in our yard:

Monitor.jpeg

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Have these near my house, never seen an animal move so fast

No photo description available.

It's an Oriental Garden lizard. 

Very quick. They climb up high to positions to either watch for prey, or to try and escape.

The lizard needs the long tail for balance.

1 minute ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

During the Vietnam War, American GIs called the tokay the "f--- you lizard" after its distinctive cry.

Tokays are nothing to be afraid of. They're not aggressive. We have them around our house. We leave them alone and they leave us alone, although one of my adult daughter is quite afraid of them.

We do call the security guards when one of these shows up in our yard:

Monitor.jpeg

When I lived near the Sutishan MRT in Bangkok....early mornings there was one of these big guys slithering around the back of my building....I had only been in Thailand for a few weeks then and seeing this in an urban environment was a shock.

Just now, KarenBravo said:

It's an Oriental Garden lizard. 

Very quick. They climb up high to positions to either watch for prey, or to try and escape.

The lizard needs the long tail for balance.

We had one of these but the local feral cat took care  of him....sadly. Menace

I don’t get it….these things poop ???? and pee constantly and everywhere and attract snakes ???? 

No lizards in the house for me…they can live outside the house all they want….

Edited by Kanada
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Kanada said:

I don’t get it….these things poop ???? and pee constantly and everywhere and attract snakes ???? 

No lizards in the house for me…they can live outside the house all they want….

Unless you have cat, virtually impossible to keep them out short of sealing yourself in with plastic wrap. Yeah the droppings are a mess....every week I have to use wet wipes to clear the window tracks.......yuck

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I am not from Thailand, and so I have little experience with the Tokay's behavior.

It's the same with Thai women...eventually you learn to steer clear of certain things...ha ha ha ha ha

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

They are pretty aggressive. When we moved into our farm house it had been vacant for 3 years and there was about 10 of them in there. Took us ages to get them out, they sit there staring at you with their mouth open, quite threatening ????. They also run towards you if you shake a stick at them, was quite funny watching them chasing my girlfriend's screaming sister out of the house.

My gf hates them, she reckons the loud call (Tookaaeee Tookaaee hence the name) attracts snakes to come and eat them which does make sense. Fortunately our PitBull shares my girlfriend's dislike of them so they don't tend to last long if they come near our place. They're brave though, they often stand their ground against him which only makes his job easier. They can have some quite attractive colouring though but the idea of them attracting snakes to the property is enough for me to not discourage the dog from doing his thing.

13 minutes ago, rumak said:

It's when you try to French kiss them that the trouble begins.   They will NOT let go of your tongue !

i would nominate this for most silly thread of the month........ but hey,  anything is better than covid covid covid         

tokays do not pounce.   they always move away,  quickly if one attempts to harm them.  If cornered,

they will hiss or bite if they can.       

As you say, silly is sometimes better than serious.  Also, for some, this thread might be informative.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

It IS a shock, at first.  However, trust me...  after a while, you begin to love these guys.

Uh, no I don't.

While they are harmless unless provoked, I don't want them around my exterior lights at night.  Having to hose off their droppings may be a joy for you but not for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aforek said:

I know what you mean, I  like to hear when they are far away ( for instance in the house next door ????  )but when they are in the false ceilling, 2 meters above you,  it's diffferent : loud !

what I don't like is their big shape and frightening aspect 

but I am not affraid, just I don't like :

I fear much more ( like Thai people ) the centipede ( ta-kap )  ; this one is very dangerous and in houses, too 

What does that look like.  I have what look like centipedes and millipedes, as well as the scorpions, as I mentioned.  Which is the dangerous one?

From October until the end of May, there were extremely few instances of things like lizards, scorpions, centipedes, millipedes, etc, in the house.  We have had a lot of rain recently. And, this might be a factor why we have so many of these indoors at this time. Maybe this is why some people prefer to live in condos, on a high floor.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

My gf hates them, she reckons the loud call (Tookaaeee Tookaaee hence the name) attracts snakes to come and eat them which does make sense. 

They can't attract snakes with their loud " to kay ", because snakes are deaf ; I have read that only males have this sound, females are silent ( may be the sound is to attract females ) 

27 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

What does that look like.  I have what look like centipedes and millipedes, as well as the scorpions, as I mentioned.  Which is the dangerous one?

May be mods will say it's off topic, but the dangerous ones are the centipedes

many posts on this forum about them 

• Like 1

Let's get one thing straight. Ching-choks and Tokays do not eat mosquitoes (except in the jungle).

Ching-choks and Tokays hang around electric lights. Mosquitoes are drawn to darkness.

So, what is the likelihood that a mosquito will even get in range for these Geckos to eat them?

They don't. They eat other insects that are attracted to the light. They have field days when termites and ants take to the wing.

Any Gecko found in the house is fair game for a whack. All Geckos outside are left alone.

I do not want poop in my kitchen, or bedrooms.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1