Expat in Hua Hin stole furniture/air-con worth 40K from rented room - blames relationship with Thai wife

webfact

Un-f#@%ing-believble!!! This whole public charade is just for some furniture being stolen from a rented accommodation!!?? Oh wait... I see now.... the thief is farang... good work RTP... keep catching those horrible nasty foreigners.

What a laughing stock these police are. Can you imagine the Brit/American police calling a public meeting/presentation with clipboards and pointy sticks to show how they successfully apprehended a thief who'd stolen a few hundred pounds of furniture..!? Honestly.... the hipocracy of it all... just days after some idiot spouting how Thais and foreigners treated the same here...!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greenmonkey said:

Un-f#@%ing-believble!!! This whole public charade is just for some furniture being stolen from a rented accommodation!!?? Oh wait... I see now.... the thief is farang... good work RTP... keep catching those horrible nasty foreigners.

What a laughing stock these police are. Can you imagine the Brit/American police calling a public meeting/presentation with clipboards and pointy sticks to show how they successfully apprehended a thief who'd stolen a few hundred pounds of furniture..!? Honestly.... the hipocracy of it all... just days after some idiot spouting how Thais and foreigners treated the same here...!!!

Totally agree and sadly this site actually runs the pathetic non news story ......how about a presentation with photos of people laying in the streets and ministers counting the kick backs rather than helping their people etc by actually procuring vaccines .....far more relevant and newsworthy!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What race would the ‘name calling’ Australian be in your imaginary racist scenario ???

Far from imagining Mr Smith . Australians are who they are . That is not my making . 

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've always found landlords that don't return a deposit when I return the key generally end up keeping it. Your experience may be different. But it's the reason I never rented anywhere that wanted more than a 1 month deposit, I just considered the 1 month a tip on the years rental.

How long does a 'damage assessment' on a 1 room condo take?

How long does it take to calculate electricity units used x4.5Bht take?

Same for water.

I’ve always had my deposits returned (+20 years here). In some of the cheaper smaller units I had the deposits returned on ‘check-out’ as the owner or Apartment manager gave the unit a once over and checked the utility bills. In other, larger Condo’s it has taken longer as the owner secures quotes for any damage repair. 

i.e. about 5 years ago we moved out of a rented Condo - When the owner inspected the unit she noticed that the Glass-Hob cooker was heavily scratched. It was scratched from use and I pointed that out, but she also pointed out that it could have been looked after better and cleaned in a manner which did not scratch it. I accepted her opinion. There as also a small dent in the aluminium fridge door... 

The owner prepared quotes from the various manufacturers to replace the Glass on the Hob (countertop) cooker and the Fridge door and subtracted that from the deposit (i.e. approx 13,000 baht off the 140,000 baht deposit) I was shown all the bills - this took approximately 3 weeks. 

In many cases it takes a while to assess any damage and evaluate if that damage is considered normal wear and tear. 

That said: Landlords have an atrocious reputation for keeping the deposit money. Its just not happened to me. 

It would appear the French guy was of the opinion that he wouldn’t get his deposit returned, he would probably have been correct. Unfortunately he preempted the landlord response with his own actions which were ultimately theft. 

This whole situation comes about from the regulations in Thailand been hideous when it comes to rent and deposits, the police don’t help - forcing many to either accept the actions of poor landlords or take matters into their own hands. 

What would have happened if the landlord refused to return the deposit ??? I don’t think we would have seen the Landlord up on a Big Poster with a few fame hungry policemen reacting with horrific outrage.

6 minutes ago, itsari said:
12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What race would the ‘name calling’ Australian be in your imaginary racist scenario ???

Far from imagining Mr Smith . Australians are who they are . That is not my making . 

Australians are who they are, but they are not a race of people and neither are us ‘Pomes’... smart or otherwise.

While Australians may slur the British by calling us Pomes along with some negative adjective.., it may be prejudice, discriminatory, xenophobic or nationalistic.... but really... its just a bit of banter and if we Brits can’t take a bit of that from some Aussies then we need harden up a little... 

• Like 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Australians are who they are, but they are not a race of people and neither are us ‘Pomes’... smart or otherwise.

While Australians may slur the British by calling us Pomes along with some negative adjective.., it may be prejudice, discriminatory, xenophobic or nationalistic.... but really... its just a bit of banter and if we Brits can’t take a bit of that from some Aussies then we need harden up a little... 

I appreciate your reply Mr Smith . I can not accept many Australian's use of pome as being banter . Sorry to not agree with you Sir . I raised the subject on how Thai people name difficult Falang . 

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out it takes about 30 seconds for the landlord to read the meter.

Then another 30 seconds to work out the outstanding bill.

There's absolutely no reason for the landlord not to return the deposit at the same time you return the key ...... unless he intends to keep it!

Yes, this was clearly the case.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

that's what your wives say... 

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

This should translate as white trouble maker.

Although 'Farid' doesn't sound like a white person's name to me.

Maybe the police should have said 'Kairk saep' to be more accurate.

Algerian French most likely.

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

This should translate as white trouble maker.

Although 'Farid' doesn't sound like a white person's name to me.

Maybe the police should have said 'Kairk saep' to be more accurate.

This guy has North-African roots and is definitely not a farang

10 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Okay, the French guy was stealing. But is not paying back a deposit stealing too? Legally sadly not... 

that’s nice stealing. Nice stealing is always allowed. Unless you are poor

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Honestly, ran into quite a few aussies that seem solid. Can’t say the same about brits or whatever they are called. You guys got a clown factory on fill crank mode over there. If it wasn’t for the Beatles and some of that early electronic <deleted> the entire region would be a complete void.

8 minutes ago, sucit said:

that’s nice stealing. Nice stealing is always allowed. Unless you are poor

The topic is not that simple legally. Imagine you rent a room and out of frustration you buy a new water heater or a new aircon. You might think that this belongs to you and you can take it with you when you move out. Sadly legally it is not like this. 

Not condoning what the French guy did, however my experience with Thai people refunding money regardless what it's for is not good.

I think refund falls alongside loan in the Thai dictionary and culture they just don't exist!

Loan normally translates to,"gift" refund, "No you pay"

• Like 1

22 hours ago, khunPer said:

Deposit accounting takes some time everywhere, unfortunately a behavior like what's reported here, makes us farangs look like "farang saep", sad...????

Sorry have to disagree. Daughter gave a weeks notice moving out. Got deposit back same day We paid the utility bills a few days later.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, khunPer said:

Deposit accounting takes some time everywhere, unfortunately a behavior like what's reported here, makes us farangs look like "farang saep", sad...????

Why would a French Muslim ethnic North African's behaviour make me (British Christian Caucasian) look bad?

Edited by BritManToo

15 hours ago, sucit said:

Honestly, ran into quite a few aussies that seem solid. Can’t say the same about brits or whatever they are called. You guys got a clown factory on fill crank mode over there. If it wasn’t for the Beatles and some of that early electronic <deleted> the entire region would be a complete void.

Don’t fret… 

….. Jelly fish have survived without brains for 650 my… there is hope for you.

10 hours ago, Dont confuse me said:

Not condoning what the French guy did, however my experience with Thai people refunding money regardless what it's for is not good.

I think refund falls alongside loan in the Thai dictionary and culture they just don't exist!

Loan normally translates to,"gift" refund, "No you pay"

I do think that its a human trait, rather than Thai specific .

Not many people actually enjoy giving money to others 

22 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

Actually if you go to the news website from the OP you'll see out of the aprox 100 crime postings a very small number are about farangs.  99% of the crime articles about Thai crimes.  As for the police  presentation, I seriously doubt their powerpoint presentation cost the taxpayers a large sum of money.

I have noticed even in small stores like Tesco Express, 7-11s, etc, Thai workers take pictures of product displays, when I asked one of my friendly Tesco Express worker why? She said they have to show their bosses the work they are doing, I'm guessing it's the same thought process for the police.  

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Why would a French Muslim ethnic North African's behaviour make me (British Christian Caucasian) look bad?

Do you think Thais notice the difference between foreigners being a French French, and a pale French with North African roots..?