TAT chief says October reopening plan for ten provinces will need to be reassessed in light of pandemic

webfact

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

There are already other baskets. Thailand is a major assembly point for computer components and small appliances (air-cons) as well as automobiles. It is also has significant aquaculture and agriculture growing and processing/export sectors. The Thai ship of state isn't in any danger of foundering because of limited foreign tourist arrivals (much to the chagrin of some).

Yes I agree, what I am saying is that something has to fill the hole of up to 20% of GDP (tourism), because it won't be tourism. They need to build on those industries and explore new ones. Agricultural oportunities would seem the obvious one with vast swathes of available land. Most discussions seem to be aound when the previous high will return, I am suggesting never to a very long time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crusader said:

To put a little twist on this one...we are always reading and hearing of how many Billions of baht the country is losing, and how many billions of baht they are still hoping to amass this year. 

But...never have I seen a message, or heard any words of thanks for the many thousands of us who choose to stay here, and do in fact contribute huge amounts of money to the country. 

You might be too optimistic about those 'huge' amounts....

• Like 1

Geez, as of yesterday everything was still on schedule LOL. This only comes as a shock to those in charge. Low vaccines falls directly on the administration and they're worried about vaccinated foreigners spreading the disease but not their own. OMB they really can't stop embarrassing themselves, no wonder there is such a lack of confidence among the citizens

• Like 2

Please explain where the tourists come from... Eu has strict rules for travellers from Thailand, Tourists to Thailand have to arrange a lot of paperwork and [ay for a lot of extra things, China has banned travelling, and so on.. Besides who want to come to a country that hardly is vaccinating anyone and doesn't do so much to keep the virus in control.. Foreigners will NOT bring any virus to Thailand. for that are the Thai people very  capable of to it by themselves

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

Yes I agree, what I am saying is that something has to fill the hole of up to 20% of GDP (tourism), because it won't be tourism. They need to build on those industries and explore new ones. Agricultural oportunities would seem the obvious one with vast swathes of available land. Most discussions seem to be aound when the previous high will return, I am suggesting never to a very long time.

It will take time, but the tourists will eventually come back...3-5 years would be my guess. Hopefully, a more sustainable tourism model but with the massive losses from the pandemic, the industry might quickly revert to its tried and true mass tourism model.

It is all because of the greediness of them. Everybody of the "leaders" wants a piece of the huge cake. There is a lot of money involved in the vaccination.

So, what happens now and the delay is all the fault of the leaders.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You are obviously having a wobble on your bar-stool there as all industry sectors are very worried at the moment.

Manufacturing exports rose last month. The Thai economy isn't collapsing any time soon.

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/thailands-exports-in-june-grow-at-highest-rate-for-11-years-364864

https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanplus-news/2021/07/24/thailand039s-exports-rise-to-highest-level-in-11-years-commerce-minister

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

There are already other baskets. Thailand is a major assembly point for computer components and small appliances (air-cons) as well as automobiles. It is also has significant aquaculture and agriculture growing and processing/export sectors. The Thai ship of state isn't in any danger of foundering because of limited foreign tourist arrivals (much to the chagrin of some).

Perhaps measure the chagrin of the million or so unemployed in the tourist industry and the businesses that have closed ,many permanently. The state of health of those other industries is not going to compensate for the decimation of tourism and will be under pressure from international competition themselves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

To quote an old fave commercial, "It was a time of agonizin' re-appraisal."

Not only in Thailand, but other nations are perhaps better situated re: the common folk.

4 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

It definitely doesn't work both ways in this country such a suggestion will be met with blank stares of incomprehension.

Right...pretty much like everything else is here. 

• Like 2