The Older I Become, the Less LIFE, as we know it, Makes Sense to Me. Do you feel the same as I? Like Vonnegut, do you yearn for life on Saturn, someday?

Sorry. But, what I meant was, the older we become, especially as we grow older away from our original roots, then the more we might question traditional justifications for being alive....unless....

We finally understand that our only reason and justification for living is to pay back, in some positive way, for that which we have received when we were young.

I have plenty to pay back for.  So many kindnesses extended to me during my life.

As we age, the tougher it gets, simply because we rarely engage in the things that we once loved to do, such has humping and flirting, and combing our hair, which is not so easy to comb when you might not have any hair.

Yet, no matter how old we might be, there is no doubt that we can pay back, and doing this is probably the only thing that makes life liveable.

Regarding Vonnegut, as far as I know, he lost his mind towards the end of his life, so sad, really.

The worst fate for a writer is to lose his mind.

And, so, no doubt this is why Hemingway used his gun.

Some people say, Hemingway was crazy to do this.  I do not agree.

=============

During this pandemic, I truly believe that we have much more time on our hands, and that we can use this time to do some paying back for the many rewards we have received when we were young.

It is not always easy to find a way to contribute.

If someone asked you to contribute, then you would.

But, it is not so easy to become proactive and expend energy in order to seek out ways to contribute, during these days.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Does posting about burritos count?

Yes, it might, however you would need to post in a way which is both sincere and also helpful to others.

For example, by posting concerning burritos, what way can you imagine that this might help you to pay back for the many rewards which you have received from others, in your youth.  This is the question.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're making a lot of assumptions. 

I agree of course giving service to others is a way to find meaning in life. I don't think the only way though. 

I was not speaking of finding meaning in life, of course.

Perhaps there is no meaning in life.

I was only speaking of paying back, in later life, for what has been given to one, when one was younger.

Regarding "meaning of life", this is not the same for any of us.  I have no doubt that your view of the meaning of life is far different from mine, or, even, you might think that there is no meaning in life.  And, this is fine, for you.

42 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're making a lot of assumptions. 

I agree of course giving service to others is a way to find meaning in life. I don't think the only way though. 

Whether or not there is any "hidden" meaning to the Universe, or maybe Multiverse, other than it just exists, I think not.

But, is this not just a bit off-topic?

The point of this topic is:  Really, ....  No doubt there are many old guys here who have a lot to offer. And, since, due to the lockdowns, these guys might be getting bored, and so...why not just try to reach out and help someone with one's time, and I am not talking about money.

Some people might think that there are not many farang here who have extremely valuable skills.  And so, since everybody is getting rather bored these days, then why not do one's best to just reach out and help someone.

I just meant, there is nothing worse than sitting in one's house, day after day, with no real purpose.  And so, if one were to reach out and help someone here, then this would become a WIN-WIN situation.

Such a thing can happen.

But, even donating one's time and expertise is really NOT so easy.

In fact...you must actively SEARCH and convince someone that they might benefit from your help...IF you have some expertise.

No One will come looking for you to help.

You must be very proactive.

And, if you are successful, and you are able to help in some way, then you will reap the rewards.

And, this just might make you feel happier, these days.

This is all that I am saying.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

12 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

My plan - and the wife's - is to go back to the UK when we can, sell the old 2 bed council house down  south, buy a nice 4 bed place up north with a nice garden, and order food in. Be honest we're both happy with each others company and that's enough now. She loves gardening and house proud, and I'm happy just watching old tv and a quiet life. I just don't like the world anymore. It's a crazy, mad world now, and so unlike what I grew up with. Shant miss it in the end. 

Never mind.

You are very fortunate to have a wife whom you love, rather than a shrew, one who needs taming.

• Like 1

Actually...  the JINGTHING (the True Thing)...  is that you do not need to help MANY people.

You just need to help ONE person, or maybe two.

That is all you need to do, in order make a positive difference, these days.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

As I reach 65, I yearned for semi retirement in Thailand.  That was my Saturn.  That was always my goal after my first trip in 2004.  I have worked with the US Government, Department of Defense, and many big companies and I was looking forward to simplicity, minimal paperwork, etc..  Man, it gets harder every year to keep things simple.

Did you finally achieve what you were yearning for?

I hope that you did...because......

Something as simple to achieve as was your greatest yearning....seems something that you can easily achieve.

Hope you get what you are seeking.

And, of course, what you are seeking and wishing for, is, truly, so worth it.

((You spoke in the PAST TENSE, and I just hope you reached your dream.))

Young people do not realize that, even though life is extremely tough for them at an early age, still, life gets even tougher.

This is why the quality of resilience is so important to teach to young people, today.

And, there is no doubt that our children, when they reach our age, will require even more resilience than we need today, at this time when the Keeling Curve is only at 415, and headed through the roof.

So, we need to teach our children well.

And, maybe, no matter what we teach them, will not be enough to protect them.

There is really no way for a single individual to shift or alter the world.

And, more is the pity, I think.

===========

No matter what we might think about our present circumstances, there is no doubt that we are now living in an almost perfect time in which almost everything is almost perfect.

I just worry about our grandchildren who may live in a far less beautiful time, when flora and fauna are diminished, and in a time when southern climes become less habitable. 

co2_800k_zoom.png.bcce491e77dc954963a21d45eb0b94fe.png

I guess that the Keeling Curve is just one more thing, among many, which makes some of us wish we could be up there with Vonnegut.

However, rather than departing for life on a moon of Saturn, like Vonnegut, we should stick around and just do what we can, while we still are able to breathe.

Getting vaccinated, might keep us breathing longer.

Although, so far, there is no vaccination for the Keeling Curve.  And, as you can see, the intensity of the slope of this curve is ever increasing.  This is not a joke, of course.  This is data collected by REAL scientists.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Putin is mine. 

I can never decide between Stalin and Pol Pot!

Genghis Khan, in the end ...... just for the quote ..........

"Man's highest joy is in victory: to conquer one's enemies; to pursue them; to deprive them of their possessions; to make their beloved weep; to ride on their horses; and to embrace their wives and daughters.."

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

And, there is no doubt that our children, when they reach our age, will require even more resilience than we need today,

Indeed they will, but being taught that there are no losers, and that they are the center of the universe, as seems to be happening, is not going to help them live in a hostile world, IMO.

School was a very hard place for a soft child when I was  being schooled, but it did teach me that the world is full of bad people and to be self reliant.

Unfortunately that's about all it taught me. Never mind, I made up for it later on.

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I just worry about our grandchildren who may live in a far less beautiful time, when flora and fauna are diminished, and in a time when southern climes become less habitable. 

If it's just CO2 that concerns you I think you need to worry less. Carbon is the building block of life on earth, is it not? Plants, IMO, can be expected to thrive in a carbon rich atmosphere.

As for southern climes, I'm lovin' that it seems so much warmer now than usual.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

But, is this not just a bit off-topic?

You have 2 long rambling posts, add in that this is TVF - and squabble w/JT over the meaning of life... wheew.. what else would it be. than off topic - - 

If you are talking abt finding meaning and purpose in helping others, - sure, I can alleviate some suffering here and there and that feels good.. but so often it falls into, no good deed goes unpunished too...

As to meaning and purpose - I can stab at some issues but stopped answering that when I started raising a niece... when I had to take care of Alz. parents.. 

Is that what you are asking abt? Maybe try and limit your thoughts/post to a few more pointed sentences...

And yes, Slaughterhouse Five was a spectacular book - but was Vonnegutt dreaming or the character just delusional?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I can never decide between Stalin and Pol Pot!

Genghis Khan, in the end ...... just for the quote ..........

"Man's highest joy is in victory: to conquer one's enemies; to pursue them; to deprive them of their possessions; to make their beloved weep; to ride on their horses; and to embrace their wives and daughters.."

I would like to have been a Viking. ????

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If it's just CO2 that concerns you I think you need to worry less. Carbon is the building block of life on earth, is it not? Plants, IMO, can be expected to thrive in a carbon rich atmosphere.

As for southern climes, I'm lovin' that it seems so much warmer now than usual.

Yep, if CO2 is bad for crops why do so many greenhouse farmers add more? 

• Like 2