Anyone else tired of the nonsense, and contemplating leaving Thailand?

I have only recently retired here (April 2019) so my experience is nothing like as extensive as your's but I would be sorry to see someone driven out by the political situation.
I too don't like the current government and would welcome change. I actually believe covid may be the catalyst that finally stirs the public into demanding more from their leaders than their current placid acceptance.
 Although I am only a recent arrival, I have been visiting Thailand for around 35 years now and this is the first time I can recall the general public openly discussing their political masters with such anger and frustration. Even at the height of the red shirt/yellow shirt confrontations I don't remember this broad a level of distrust and dislike.
 In the past the vast majority have been more concerned with the daily grind of making ends meet than having the luxury to involve themselves in politics. It has been left to the reforming zeal of the young, the students, to demand change and as we all too sadly know that sense of injustice becomes subsumed by cynicism and reluctant acceptance as we age.
 But I really do sense a wind of change this time. Admittedly,  the odds are very highly stacked in the establishment's favour, they control the legislative bodies, the tanks and the guns, the money  and the goon squads all to suppress the clamour for reform but just maybe this time there will be sufficient numbers  to bring about change.

Obviously you have thought long and hard about this, all you have invested in this country,  the enormous upheaval it would entail. Forgive me for saying so but reading your post you sound depressed by matters outside of your control rather than things that you have a direct input.
"Don't let the buggers grind you down", as they say. You have made your life here, it would be a huge shame to be driven out by an establishment that is losing popularity and respect by the day.

• Like 2

Wherever-You-Go-You-Take-Yourself-With-You.jpg.cfa2e42537d2395c706844a45454cff7.jpg

We can't [and shouldn't want to] escape from who we are. If we feel or sense negative influences around us, to the point that we enable them to affect our lives negatively, it doesn't matter where we choose to live. A glass have empty never becomes a glass half full merely by us changing our location. If we want change then we have to change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Caspersfriend said:

Wherever-You-Go-You-Take-Yourself-With-You.jpg.cfa2e42537d2395c706844a45454cff7.jpg

We can't [and shouldn't want to] escape from who we are. If we feel or sense negative influences around us, to the point that we enable them to affect our lives negatively, it doesn't matter where we choose to live. A glass have empty never becomes a glass half full merely by us changing our location. If we want change then we have to change.

Nice post but I think that there is a huge difference if you live in harmony with your neighborhood or in a constant fight . that will greatly affect your mental ' wellbeing ' and make you sit in front of ' half empty glasses ' only ...

4 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Nice post but I think that there is a huge difference if you live in harmony with your neighborhood or in a constant fight . that will greatly affect your mental ' wellbeing ' and make you sit in front of ' half empty glasses ' only ...

And yet even your avatar is a dog philosopher.

Just now, Caspersfriend said:

I understood .. with sadness .. that those babes that stimulated the consumption of alcohol have since been banned.

Apparently not, my local booze shop seems to have one or two.

Bars are shut, so booze shops put tables and girls outside, police station 100m up the road .........

Amazing Thailand.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Apparently not, my local booze shop seems to have one or two.

Bars are shut, so booze shops put tables and girls outside, police station 100m up the road .........

Amazing Thailand.

Must have a word with my local pervayour ????

1 hour ago, kynikoi said:

Actually I am a student of history. Like the other poster you agree with me but then ramble on and taking some moral high ground while not entirely disagreeing with my position.

I never stated that the virus is not expected to disapate in strength merely that it will be with us forever. In fact, it's not even an especially problematic virus for those under 35.

Those over 60 and with underlying condition imo can expect problems forever as typical annual flu alone kills millions. While the danger of harm and dying has been over exaggerated for months it is and will be quite dangerous to older people and those with cardio problems.

You also touch on the now known fact the virus was engineered which is also a huge unknown for this particular virus.

The vaccines are proving worthless. Israel is now triple vaxxing. 

Question isn't whether you'll get it bc you will. Question is how you'll suffer it and come out on the other side

I didn't think I took a high moral ground? If I did, sorry I gave that impression, as I'm not a moralist by any means. Otherwise, I generally agree with your comments but have a slightly different view on some.

Most viruses attenuate over time due to the gradual acquisition of herd immunity in the general population.

The vaccines are proving effective (at least where I come from) in that they stop you from developing serious symptoms. Yes, it it is common knowledge that they don't stop you from contracting the virus, but if however they prevent you from becoming seriously ill and possibly dying, then that should be deemed as a degree of effectivity.

I agree completely that the danger has been exaggerated.

17 hours ago, khunPer said:

Portugal is worth checking out, especially the Algarve area where I have happy friends living; and I've also been there, it's actually both good and relative affordable...????

I'm however not in the mood for leaving, Thailand is still as great as ever, even during the Covid-situation, because everywhere in the World it has at least temporary changed due of that. If you look at Europe, there have been numerous demonstrations against Covid restrictions; and still Thailand has statistically so far performed better than most European countries, even with the third wave included.

The baht have been strong during the military government, and some of the time thereafter in the semi-democratic, too strong baht for many of us expats, and presumable also for a number of tourists and for the export. The national dept vs. GNP lowered after the military steppen in from about 48% to around 42%, which could explain the stronger baht, and in general showed that the country is in good financial shape. However, the lately new loans, among others to cope with the pandemic, have increased the dept vs GNP back to a level before the military stepped in, and might be little more up about 50%, but borrowing money to cope with the pandemic have been the situation for any responsible government. Looking at statistics at debt vs GNP, Thailand is still doing (a lot) better than many Western countries, UK is for example over 80%, Europe in average around 70% - don't need to mention Greece and Italy - USA is over 100%. We expats might happily look forward to a period with a little bit more baht to spend, when exchanging our home-country's money.

Thailand might be different depending of where you stay, but I'm still happy, almost as ever, where I chose to settle, and I have so far no intentions of moving - but I admit that life was little beter before Covid changed the World, but when comparing to my Scandinavian home country, it's been better here...????

Thanks. Was looking at Portugal too. Wonder if housing is more affordable. Looking at Spain, and for 1000 euros a month, you do not get much. Not anything I would want to live in. And that is an awful lot more than I pay here. 

I am glad you like it here, but I completely disagree with your statement Thailand is as great as ever. Maybe for you. Maybe for some of us. Not for the average Thai, on any measurable level, even before Covid. 

• Like 1

Certainly life lived before in Thailand has changed to the worse. Benidorm,anyone walking the sea front,the sparkling blue seas,bars,restaurants,lettings at a price below Thailands...its glorious,Im off ASAP    but stated before my mutts,all getting old, Im here for them at the mo

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thanks. Was looking at Portugal too. Wonder if housing is more affordable. Looking at Spain, and for 1000 euros a month, you do not get much. Not anything I would want to live in. And that is an awful lot more than I pay here. 

I am glad you like it here, but I completely disagree with your statement Thailand is as great as ever. Maybe for you. Maybe for some of us. Not for the average Thai, on any measurable level, even before Covid. 

Do not know where you are looking,maybe Costa del Sol is more expensive,but Benidorm and surrounding  really good......Portugal   nah  rains too much and is def more expensive

Just looked at rentals,so desperate to rent two months rent free  on some  higher standard than Thailand too,no underhand tactics  and you can bargain them down at least 20% less

Edited by fredscats
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 8:14 PM, HeijoshinCool said:

Might as well hunker down, stock up, because things are only going to get worse. Our lives, as we have known and enjoyed them, are over. That's not pessimism, it's realism. Sad but true.

Not only is that not realism, it's not sad or true, either.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chilli42 said:

I came to Thailand in 1990.  After reflecting on your question, I feel not much has changed in this time as it relates to the power structure (army, government and he that may not be mentioned) and it’s governance by this structure.  I am not saying I like it but it’s not a motivation for me to leave.  There will be the inevitable change in some of the players but it will just be ‘deja vu’ once again. It’s a system designed to enrich and empower a small elite that runs the country.  If this notion offends you … I think you will find much the same everywhere, albeit in a less naked display of corruption and power.  Finally, I am not sure what country you are from but things “back home” are not what they once were.  Every time I return to my home country (most recently July) I feel like more of a foreigner.  Most things have changed for the worse and generally seem to be moving in an extremely negative direction … starting with the destruction of freedoms and democracy.  Of course if you plan to leave Thailand and set up your own utopia on an island or off the grid you might be able to recreate the sensibilities you rightly long for.  Baring this, I would stay in Thailand as long as there are the good things you mention in your post.  It’s reliable and consistent and things are just going from bad to worse in Europe and North America.

Well, as I mentioned going back to live in the US, is NOT an option. It would have to be a very extreme scenario, as I find life back there to be super boring, super predictable, and fairly joyless, and as much as I hate the regime here, I have even less tolerance for the law enforcement state back there. I would always rather deal with corrupt, useless cops who mostly stay out of my face, than the type I run into in the US. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not only is that not realism, it's not sad or true, either.

While it may get better in the future, IMO many of us oldies will not be around to see it.

IMO life has got steadily worse for the common man in this century, though it's been a gradual process so many may not have noticed.

Certainly, IMO, Thailand became less sanuk and more like the west.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, as I mentioned going back to live in the US, is NOT an option. It would have to be a very extreme scenario, as I find life back there to be super boring, super predictable, and fairly joyless, and as much as I hate the regime here, I have even less tolerance for the law enforcement state back there. I would always rather deal with corrupt, useless cops who mostly stay out of my face, than the type I run into in the US. 

Yes US as boring as it can be, only two ntionalities mostly do not wish to return  yanks and krauts,brits it ain't so bad

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Does she actually believe that there are less lies in other countries?

If she does I have a bridge for sale.

Well, all politicians are liars. But, some are at least qualified, competent in their fields, have some expertise and experience in the areas they were appointed, are capable, decent leaders, and not totally despised by 95% of the masses. And some nations do not have systems that depend entirely on cronyism for appointments, and actually take merit into account! And some actually have free and fair elections. What a concept. And some nations actually believe in law and order, and do not have a completely compromised law enforcement system and justice system. 

That really sets Thailand apart. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, fredscats said:

Do not know where you are looking,maybe Costa del Sol is more expensive,but Benidorm and surrounding  really good......Portugal   nah  rains too much and is def more expensive

Just looked at rentals,so desperate to rent two months rent free  on some  higher standard than Thailand too,no underhand tactics  and you can bargain them down at least 20% less

Looking within 20 km. of Malaga, at the moment. So, you recommend Costa Blanca over Costa del Sol? I do hear the climate is milder. Cheaper too? Good info. Thanks alot for that. Good international airport in Valencia?

The places I have seen so far within 20-30 km. of Malaga, are overpriced, in my opinion. Not much quality for the money.

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Good points. Fortunately, I have never felt the "need to belong". I felt like an outsider, and certainly a black sheep in the US, and to this day, most of my family does not understand my desire not to live in the US, as do many Americans. However, there are a group of my friends who tell me they would trade places with me in a nanosecond.

I obviously have a huge distaste for the government and immigration here. Reporting every 90 days is ridiculous, and having to prove we are married once a year is dumber than dumb. But, it is what it is. And like many on this thread have stated over and over again, it is up to me to learn to be content (something I have not had to make much effort at, until recently), or leave. 

You got the bug man,makes it easier to express yourself here too,weight off the shoulders.

I own nothing too,if I did Id string myself up  could not sell,lose the lot       You would like Benidorm beauiful sea fronts,evening strolls,good food/wine far cheaper  Spanish is easy too,France not far off

I love Spanish culture. So much traditionally beautiful with the pre-1500 mixture of races (Christian, Moors and Jews). Fabulous architecture e.g. Seville and Granada. Andalucia is the best region for that, I think.

I am a great music and art fan. I like some Thai pop even (although it's more and more 'Americanized' and dominated by Korea). Thai classical orchestras and ensembles are still way below European standards but improving. I'm a great jazz fan and remember  when, because of the late king's wonderful example, jazz was broadcast on TV with awards for promising young jazz players. Now? What do we have on Thai TV? Thais love their dramas etc. - good luck to them - but we know what we think. Added to that, good movie channels have disappeared. British and American <deleted> instead.

It's impossible to escapre <deleted> wherever you go, of course. BUT think Spanish classical guitar, Spanish gypsy jazz a la Django, excellent music and movie festivals, Velazquez, Goya, Don Quixote, Picasso, Miro...oh, so much more!

Spanish culture is exciting and vibrant and youthful. It has been for 100 years. Think Barcelona, the Gaudi architecture, the fabulous contrast between the Gothic cathedral and the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.

I hope I can get there on holiday again, while carrying on living here in Thailand.

I do worry about the economy here. I think British banks often acted disgracefully, or indeed criminally, under Blair and Brown. My dealings with SCB and BKK here have been generally much better. Online SCB works extremely well BUT I will not close my account with the Halifax and move the money to Thailand. I fear the worst and despite similar compensation 'promises' as defaulting British banks supposedly have, I wonder how secure Thai banks really are in these pandemic days. At least Neil Woodford doesn't live or 'operate' here!

A great way to stay up to date with Spain for Brits is to have a free subscription to eyeonspain.com  - weekly newsletter, illustrated, fun, legal and property advice.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Do you know Expatistan's Cost of Living World Map?

If not, it might be worth taking a look. When knowing places locally, you can live cheaper than the index suggests, but it seems to be all right as an overall guideline. It's based og Prague in Czech Republic (Europe) as index 100, and all other places' costs indexed from that point, i.e. for example New York 237, and London 238. Bangkok is not in the list at the moment, but used to be around index 100.

You can find two Portuguese cities, Lisbon (124) and Oporto (114), which might be of your interest for comparing costs. In Lisbon for example

"Monthly rent for 85 m2 (900 sqft) furnished accommodation in normal area, €857"

and in Oporto

"Monthly rent for 85 m2 (900 sqft) furnished accommodation in normal area,  €665".

My friends live in Faro, which is also a major tourist destination, a beautiful place, but I'm not sure if it's over or under average Portuguese living costs. My experience was that it was a very affordable place, but I originates from Copenhagen-area, with index 197...????

I know you and I have different views on Thailand, especially Koh Samui. The Thai people I know seems all quite satisfied - also before Covid - so it might be a question of which eyes and from which angle things are viewed...????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1