Anyone else tired of the nonsense, and contemplating leaving Thailand?

17 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

You know, I don't think Malaysia ever had an original culture. You will probably remember the riots in Indonesia when Malaysia tried to pass off Indonesian culture as Malaysian culture for tourist adverts.

"The protesters on Thursday said Malaysia was promoting a Javanese mask dance, known as Reog Ponorogo, as its traditional art in its tourism campaign."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-indonesia-malaysia-idUSJAK27361120071129

Malaysia does the same with passing off Rendang as a Malaysian dish when it originated in Sumatra, Indonesia. Malaysia basically is an offshoot of Indonesia, and only separated by historical accident, ie British invasion.

I don't think Islam wiped out the indigenous culture in Malaysia, they just never had one. If you look at Indonesia, Islam has not wiped out indigenous Indonesian culture. Indonesia has plenty of soul. It's just KL and Malaysia that feels empty.

About Indonesia (I worked there, been several times back), very true, a huge culture. So maybe you're right about the Malay culture (let's be precise : Malay, not Malaysian), it's not so much the religion but the relative absence of an original culture. 

12 minutes ago, gejohesch said:

About Indonesia (I worked there, been several times back), very true, a huge culture. So maybe you're right about the Malay culture (let's be precise : Malay, not Malaysian), it's not so much the religion but the relative absence of an original culture. 

So what did you think about your time in Indonesia, would you consider it as a place to live?

5 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

So what did you think about your time in Indonesia, would you consider it as a place to live?

I could not really say. It's been quite a number of years, really.... I guess there must be a few nice places, it's such a huge country.

7 minutes ago, gejohesch said:

I could not really say. It's been quite a number of years, really.... I guess there must be a few nice places, it's such a huge country.

True, I like Bali, but the power cuts and bad internet would be a dealbreaker.

4 hours ago, rumak said:

well said.      i do sometimes write a post saying IMO  how the world is totally screwed up.  I also sometimes get philosophical and suggest how we should all really take a look at ourselves once in a while,   and work on what we can accomplish individually.   I also sometimes have posted a photo or two of my Mango farm and beautiful country living , though lately I feel it not really necessary to  say how great life is.    

SpiderM  i believe appreciates the good things he has.   As I and others here do.    But I also can relate to his anxiety and feelings about how life seems to be changing .   Those here who attempt to dismiss any kind of feelings about anything in the world except what affects them personally (I am not referring to you, Jafo)...well, why bother to post on a forum ?  Just copy and paste : my life is great,  i don't care about anything else.    No need for photos of houses or cars or descriptions of your breakfast.  Facebook is good for that.    

When an individual is raised in a village, the understanding of true village life is real, in that anything that goes on outside the village and close surrounding area is often out of scope. 

I don't buy into the 'global village' rhetoric. Most people in the western world do not even have conversations with their neighbours. Politicians are all negotiating and posturing for their own benefit. Nothing new there.

So to those who wish to have opinions and post on a forum hoping to instigate change....... well how are you doing so far fellas, ringing in the changes or noted for being repetitive moaners.

It appears now a 180 degree turn is being advised to forum members 

No longer 'if you don't like it go home' 

But rather if you feel the need to make light positive posts do it elsewhere ????????

4 minutes ago, 473geo said:

When an individual is raised in a village, the understanding of true village life is real, in that anything that goes on outside the village and close surrounding area is often out of scope. 

I don't buy into the 'global village' rhetoric. Most people in the western world do not even have conversations with their neighbours. Politicians are all negotiating and posturing for their own benefit. Nothing new there.

So to those who wish to have opinions and post on a forum hoping to instigate change....... well how are you doing so far fellas, ringing in the changes or noted for being repetitive moaners.

It appears now a 180 degree turn is being advised to forum members 

No longer 'if you don't like it go home' 

But rather if you feel the need to make light positive posts do it elsewhere ????????

Yinn remembers you.    Says you always had her back .   We are all glad you are doing well

• Haha 1

Lived thailand mainly pattaya in pratamnak, own an Aerox +2 helmets never invested in property had an enjoyable time left in may 21 will return for maybe a couple of weeks or a month or 2 at time to catch up with old friends, but long term its finished it was dying before covid imo.

So my new sun spot is Lanszarote know a few thaiexpats out there am going in 2 weeks time all normal out there now accomodation  exp, €1k per month but drink & food cheaper unless your tipple was a large chaing and street food in pattaya.

Its sooo clean and orderly no soi dogs rats or noisy motorbikes but sadly no small brown girls, 100b massage or weekend gentleman club visits.

I will stay there till jan/feb maybe march + in thailand.

1 minute ago, tomyami said:

Lived thailand mainly pattaya in pratamnak, own an Aerox +2 helmets never invested in property had an enjoyable time left in may 21 will return for maybe a couple of weeks or a month or 2 at time to catch up with old friends, but long term its finished it was dying before covid imo.

So my new sun spot is Lanszarote know a few thaiexpats out there am going in 2 weeks time all normal out there now accomodation  exp, €1k per month but drink & food cheaper unless your tipple was a large chaing and street food in pattaya.

Its sooo clean and orderly no soi dogs rats or noisy motorbikes but sadly no small brown girls, 100b massage or weekend gentleman club visits.

I will stay there till jan/feb maybe march + in thailand.

2 helmets eh, his and hers?

Only lived here for 3 years full time but had a few conversations with the wife lately about moving but the question was where?  Back to the US was a no-go.  Lived in Japan and Singapore before, both nice places but neither was a place we wanted to set down roots.  We talked it out and thought better stay in our home for now and see what happens.  Retired now and life was pretty good traveling every month prior to COVID.  Politics change overnight so we are hoping and staying for at least the next few years then reevaluate.  

Seemed like 2014 took a lot of life out of Thailand.  Folks in the village where we live were getting by pretty good before 2014.  There was a sense of happiness that has been dwindling since.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saraburi121 said:

Only lived here for 3 years full time but had a few conversations with the wife lately about moving but the question was where?  Back to the US was a no-go.  Lived in Japan and Singapore before, both nice places but neither was a place we wanted to set down roots.  We talked it out and thought better stay in our home for now and see what happens.  Retired now and life was pretty good traveling every month prior to COVID.  Politics change overnight so we are hoping and staying for at least the next few years then reevaluate.  

Seemed like 2014 took a lot of life out of Thailand.  Folks in the village where we live were getting by pretty good before 2014.  There was a sense of happiness that has been dwindling since.  

Why did you not want to settle in Japan?

34 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

Why did you not want to settle in Japan?

My wife and I loved living in Japan.  It was/is an amazing place to live and before COVID we made regular holiday visits from Thailand.  Amazing cuisine, polite and engaging culture, Family Mart (crazy but we both miss), etc, I could go on.  We wanted to settle down outside of a city area where we could have a small farm which was more sustainable in Thailand where my wife if from. 

Bye, don't let the door hit ya.  Now that all the cry babies have pinky promised they are leaving there is nothing left to say.  So I guess the mods can close this silly thread now.

Edited by shdmn
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2021 at 8:12 PM, rumak said:

There are many nice places in the US.     IF i was a poor, female, person of color then I definitely might

consider living there.    Heck,  free everything !

Unfortunately i do not qualify 

I'm sure you would love to trade places with a poor, female, person of color.  I really wish you could. 

2 hours ago, amexpat said:

I'm sure you would love to trade places with a poor, female, person of color.  I really wish you could. 

I grew up with as many so called disadvantages as they supposedly have. (remember, posts about "groups" are generalities, not absolutes) .   The main difference is that I used my brains and determination to get ahead in life without the government giving me money, free medical, cash for each child I had, food stamps, housing allowances.    

All i got was a tax bill .   I am sure that no matter what my original gender or racial group was I would still have the desire and ability to make it on my own.   

Maybe it is you that need to trade places ........... as I have already proved that I can make it without

the "advantages"  of mommy or daddies assistance.   I have also succeeded in Thailand , where I

again received no special assistance and was faced with the usual "obstacles"  that foreigners (not working for on an "expat package" )  face.   

In the real world, special people succeed.   Many others do not .  But unless one is born with severe physical disabilities or in a truly repressive country .... the opportunities exist for all, especially the country formally known as the land of opportunity,

I love my life here in Thailand because I earned the respect of the people,   I learned the language,

I used my own hands to build things,   I do not sit  by the pool getting a large pension from some money printing western govt,,,,,,,,, and then post fake knowledge about Thailand or try to belittle others to make myself feel better

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

My life is good here. Just need to learn how to keep my head in the sand more! 

I think what you will find is that much of the news is noise and sensationalized and if you bite, it can consume you. Filtering it can be a challenge and a lot of work which is why i nixed it all as it added zero value. I focus on specific sites that offer information, the rest of my time is being outdoors and staying active.  

I know quite a few that are completely consumed watching the news, reading websites and most are miserable then lash out or overreact.

Cheers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, rumak said:

I agree....... but of course there are the "my life is no different" contingent here on this forum.  Sure, 

maintaining a positive attitude is important and necessary for "happiness" .   

The sad thing is, once again many of the my life is great , the currency rate now lets me buy porterhouse steaks instead of ground pork..... these people just don't give a sheet about the lives of the local population.  Nothing startling about that.

I believe in always trying to make the best of situations...... but remain aware and affected by my surroundings .   I don't give a hoot about politics,   but my main attraction to Thailand remains the people.  The carefree, simple, easy going mindset which I have noticed for 30 years.  

Being indoctrinated to the "new and better technological age"  , has that increased their happiness?

Kentucky Fried bellies and Faceless lives....... staring into a screen like trained monkeys.

And now, 24/7  "this disease is everywhere".    Does anyone have anything else on their mind than this fear fear fear broadcasting.

I also feel the "sense of happiness"  being sucked out of the thais.  Sure, maybe i am just projecting.

Hey, but I am sabai sabai.   Australian beef ground to make burgers for todays lunch !

And I have some newly ordered monogrammed masks to wear this week.

Photos on my Faceless page

I wonder about this and not sure.  My best times were spent on a river with a fishing pole with no electronics.  Now, 20 years later, I have 10x the options of how to fill the day but not happier because of them.  I spend sometimes 20 minutes deciding what to do and then second guessing myself.  I wonder if society has created, unintentionally,  gadgets  that seemingly enhance life but in reality make us less happy.

My best times today are running through nature, hiking, and reflecting on what is happening all around me in the moment.  Time to go run!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I wonder about this and not sure.  My best times were spent on a river with a fishing pole with no electronics.  Now, 20 years later, I have 10x the options of how to fill the day but not happier because of them.  I spend sometimes 20 minutes deciding what to do and then second guessing myself.  I wonder if society has created, unintentionally,  gadgets  that seemingly enhance life but in reality make us less happy.

My best times today are running through nature, hiking, and reflecting on what is happening all around me in the moment.  Time to go run!

True

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atpeace said:

I had to gooooogle to find out what the word "nature"  meant .  ???? 

My walks every day, and bike rides occasionally,  are when I feel "at peace".

I just come on this site to pass the wind............

IMG_1439.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, atpeace said:

I suspect that there is more to it than just the gadgets, but IMO societies where I have lived are not happy.

I can't say if life when I was a child was better for adults, but IMO I had a better childhood than children do now.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 8:46 AM, Tanomazu said:

That's probably another reason that makes Thailand so charming, everything is OTT. The bad driving, the air pollution, the politeness, prostitution, the spicing of the food, the silliness, the patriotism. When they do something they really do it, lol.

To give an idea of what one can find in “deep Thailand” and how the Thais can indeed “really do something”, let me tell you about a molam concert I went to a few years ago while visiting my wife’s village for Songkran. Nothing like the “molam sing” that most farangs seem to know, i.e. the one with the skimpily dressed girls, which I find extremely boring after a few minutes. The pics were not taken at the event I describe (briefly) in the text attached, but in 1 or 2 events of the same type in the suburbs of Bangkok. The blur adds to the "artistic" impression (my excuse for the poor quality!).

Slide5 1.jpg

Slide8 2.jpg

Slide9 1.jpg

Slide13 1.jpg

Slide14 2.jpg

Slide18.JPG

Slide19 1.jpg

Slide20 1.jpg

Slide23 1.jpg

Concert 2013.docx

Edited by gejohesch
adding a line
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, gejohesch said:

To give an idea of what one can find in “deep Thailand” and how the Thais can indeed “really do something”, let me tell you about a molam concert I went to a few years ago while visiting my wife’s village for Songkran. Nothing like the “molam sing” that most farangs seem to know, i.e. the one with the skimpily dressed girls, which I find extremely boring after a few minutes. The pics were not taken at the event I describe (briefly) in the text attached, but in 1 or 2 events of the same type in the suburbs of Bangkok. The blur adds to the "artistic" impression (my excuse for the poor quality!).

Slide5 1.jpg

Slide8 2.jpg

Slide9 1.jpg

Slide13 1.jpg

Slide14 2.jpg

Slide18.JPG

Slide19 1.jpg

Slide20 1.jpg

Slide23 1.jpg

Concert 2013.docx 16 kB · 1 download

Perhaps that's where the Alcazar et al shows get their costume ideas from. Never been to a molam show, but looks like what I saw at Alcazar and Tiffanies in Pattaya and the one in Patong ( Phuket ).

On 8/6/2021 at 8:05 PM, Tanomazu said:

I think the extra dimension in Thailand are the Thai people, who are just more charming and friendly than those in KL.

and very fake .....   I consider the Malaysians to be very friendly and hospitable once you get to know them. 

On 7/31/2021 at 5:49 AM, Pravda said:

I'm leaving with wife in less than 12 months as that's how long her pr will take, but we both know it's just going to be different BS back home. 

I don't really now why you care. The only people suffering here are poor thais. As for political nonsense didn't you think that things would eventually hit the fan? You say you have assets here? You'll get next to nothing now. 

That's not entirely true. Prices of some assets have just gone up and up still. Thanks to the covid money printing