Anyone else tired of the nonsense, and contemplating leaving Thailand?

39 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

Yes. It is tragically boring. I am stuck hear reading about ppl who actually live in Thailand. And my mind just can hardly comprehend it. What I would do to live in Thailand one day. Well. I have been saving most of my money for over a decade. Still spinning my wheels. I just don't know how ppl do it.

Just keep spinning and usually things come to together.  One thought - make sure you enjoy the spin and are in a good mental place when you do have the funds.  My situation was dire 20 years ago after travelling the world for three years ending with a bad accident.  Worked harder than everybody else at low level jobs and eventually made it closer to the top.  Bumpy ride!  Good luck

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AwwYesNice1 said:

'nuff said right here folks 

228943788_265885145343603_3572443103029705383_n.jpg

One of the many benefits xpats in Thailand chose to leave behind. Miss many more  I would put ahead of a Covid vaccine shot.  Sitting at a  café on a crisp early morning in California with a nice coffee and bagel, my thoughts would inevitably meander to the joyful life I had in Thailand.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, atpeace said:

One of the many benefits xpats in Thailand chose to leave behind. Miss many more  I would put ahead of a Covid vaccine shot.  Sitting at a  café on a crisp early morning in California with a nice coffee and bagel, my thoughts would inevitably meander to the joyful life I had in Thailand.

Ain't much joy being locked down now is there?

Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose
Nothin', it ain't nothin' honey, if it ain't free 

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps that's where the Alcazar et al shows get their costume ideas from. Never been to a molam show, but looks like what I saw at Alcazar and Tiffanies in Pattaya and the one in Patong ( Phuket ).

Yes, I would imagine. But no show in Pattaya or Patong or any other western-oriented location will come remotely close to the genuine thing.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gejohesch said:

To give an idea of what one can find in “deep Thailand” and how the Thais can indeed “really do something”, let me tell you about a molam concert I went to a few years ago while visiting my wife’s village for Songkran. Nothing like the “molam sing” that most farangs seem to know, i.e. the one with the skimpily dressed girls, which I find extremely boring after a few minutes. The pics were not taken at the event I describe (briefly) in the text attached, but in 1 or 2 events of the same type in the suburbs of Bangkok. The blur adds to the "artistic" impression (my excuse for the poor quality!).

Slide5 1.jpg

Slide8 2.jpg

Slide9 1.jpg

Slide13 1.jpg

Slide14 2.jpg

Slide18.JPG

Slide19 1.jpg

Slide20 1.jpg

Slide23 1.jpg

Concert 2013.docx 16 kB · 1 download

Thais are made for show. This is a general feature of SE Asia though. Filipinos are amazing singers and guitar players, Indonesians put on amazing dance shows and were also known as good musicians.

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

and very fake .....   I consider the Malaysians to be very friendly and hospitable once you get to know them. 

And when is polite, civilized behaviour not "fake"? I don't care at all, if the guy who bows to me in the fitness club does so but still thinks he hates doing it. The point is he does it. Much better than in some other countries where people actually show you they hate their job and dislike serving you. Honesty is overrated in that regard.

I have to say I miss all the pre-Covid fake friendliness from Thai service personnel.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

And when is polite, civilized behaviour not "fake"? I don't care at all, if the guy who bows to me in the fitness club does so but still thinks he hates doing it. The point is he does it. Much better than in some other countries where people actually show you they hate their job and dislike serving you. Honesty is overrated in that regard.

I have to say I miss all the pre-Covid fake friendliness from Thai service personnel.

Anyway,   do you like Malaysia ?  I don't mind it .... KL is generally clean and plenty of greenery parks and gardens, a few nice shopping centres ....  hotels are good ...  western food if you want, plenty of beer.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Apparently, some people just don't know when they are living in as near to paradise as one is likely to find on planet earth. I guess some people just complain about everything.

I'm like you- I'd give a lot to be able to live there. The almost saddest day of my life was when I had to leave LOS.

Where r u now?

Whats the best 2 places to live in Thai in yr opinion?

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

Anyway,   do you like Malaysia ?  I don't mind it .... KL is generally clean and plenty of greenery parks and gardens, a few nice shopping centres ....  hotels are good ...  western food if you want, plenty of beer.  

The shopping centres are pretty unique in SE Asia. Really only Bangkok comes close. I'd go so far to say that they have the best malls in KL bar nowhere else. Which of course means you get magnificent food in those centres. I've had authentic Hong Kong Chinese food, Japanese, Catalan, you really can get anything you want at a price. The supermarkets are also excellent.

Of course the Twin Towers and the park are a wonder of the modern world, though completely overrun with people and overcrowded (pre-Covid anyway).  I wouldn't say KL is so super clean though, I did frequent the seedier parts and KL was a place I did not feel safe in at all times. There is a very strong African/Middle Eastern contingent there, many nice people as well, but it feels too "out there" for me now. I spoke to some Korean guy who would not retire anywhere else. Simple the quality of services is not bad. Again, the malls are world class, where else can you play basketball in a mall?

Still, this cultural emptiness, confusion or lack of identity does not fill me with a desire to be in Malaysia. Of course if you want a massage you can get it, but the price is much higher than Thailand. I think Thai food is better. Some Malays were friendly enough, but they seem a bit more "clever" than Thais. The naivety of the latter makes me feel more at ease in Thailand. That's why I don't like Taiwan or China either, though there are very nice places, the people just seem a bit smarter than me, which I don't like.

I mean, if you have money you can live very well in Malaysia. But if given the choice, I'd go elsewhere. There's just nothing to grab you by the testes and draw you into Malaysia. Why not go to Indonesia outright? Or better still, to Thailand?

Edited by Tanomazu
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

I mean, if you have money you can live very well in Malaysia. But if given the choice, I'd go elsewhere. There's just nothing to grab you by the testes and draw you into Malaysia. Why not go to Indonesia outright? Or better still, to Thailand?

My thoughts are the same.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

The shopping centres are pretty unique in SE Asia. Really only Bangkok comes close. I'd go so far to say that they have the best malls in KL bar nowhere else. Which of course means you get magnificent food in those centres. I've had authentic Hong Kong Chinese food, Japanese, Catalan, you really can get anything you want at a price. The supermarkets are also excellent.

Of course the Twin Towers and the park are a wonder of the modern world, though completely overrun with people and overcrowded (pre-Covid anyway).  I wouldn't say KL is so super clean though, I did frequent the seedier parts and KL was a place I did not feel safe in at all times. There is a very strong African/Middle Eastern contingent there, many nice people as well, but it feels too "out there" for me now. I spoke to some Korean guy who would not retire anywhere else. Simple the quality of services is not bad. Again, the malls are world class, where else can you play basketball in a mall?

Still, this cultural emptiness, confusion or lack of identity does not fill me with a desire to be in Malaysia. Of course if you want a massage you can get it, but the price is much higher than Thailand. I think Thai food is better. Some Malays were friendly enough, but they seem a bit more "clever" than Thais. The naivety of the latter makes me feel more at ease in Thailand. That's why I don't like Taiwan or China either, though there are very nice places, the people just seem a bit smarter than me, which I don't like.

Malaysia is too staid,too musliimised,comes with being a colony,more under the cosh. Take a Thai girl there and looks galore,pity F1 finished ,bit of western glamour,its OK down south ,but its boring

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

I found a lot of what you said is correct, however as soon as you mentioned Indonesia it all fell apart,  for me, Indonesia is a no no ... they despise expats, westerners, they don't like the drunks, party goers, cash strapped farang coming to their island and causing havoc. They burn the Aussie flag, US and UK flags as you know.  Not everywhere is the same but alot of it,  damn .... it's the most muslim populous place around.  I wouldn't feel safe there at all. 

And that's why in part I said Malaysia, not as radical ... cool calm collective.  But each to his own. 

For me I would and could live Malaysia, no problem at all. but thats just me.

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 5:51 AM, rumak said:

I had to gooooogle to find out what the word "nature"  meant .  ???? 

My walks every day, and bike rides occasionally,  are when I feel "at peace".

I just come on this site to pass the wind............

IMG_1439.JPG

where do you live Mr Rumak?

1 hour ago, fredscats said:

Malaysia is too staid,too musliimised,comes with being a colony,more under the cosh. Take a Thai girl there and looks galore,pity F1 finished ,bit of western glamour,its OK down south ,but its boring

I think the wild freedom in Thailand has a lot going for it. I just hope it will not be eroded more, but it probably will. I guess Malaysia was once like that. I don't like women in veils, so that alone is a big turnoff for me in KL. Thailand def seems more exciting.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

I found a lot of what you said is correct, however as soon as you mentioned Indonesia it all fell apart,  for me, Indonesia is a no no ... they despise expats, westerners, they don't like the drunks, party goers, cash strapped farang coming to their island and causing havoc. They burn the Aussie flag, US and UK flags as you know.  Not everywhere is the same but alot of it,  damn .... it's the most muslim populous place around.  I wouldn't feel safe there at all. 

And that's why in part I said Malaysia, not as radical ... cool calm collective.  But each to his own. 

For me I would and could live Malaysia, no problem at all. but thats just me.

Lol, and they also burn the Malaysian flag. Like you say, not everywhere is the same. I found Bali to be extremely relaxed with a large expat contingent, and expat food in supermarkets. Very limited Muslim stuff going in Bali, bar the odd bombing. But yeah, safety wise, I feel a lot safer in Thailand. Even in Bali the rip-off factor is bigger than Thailand. I just feel Bali has so much going for it, has so much to offer, it is probably the next best place in SE Asia, after Thailand, in my eyes. Great artistic culture, spiritual places, real culture in other words, including world class food culture, maybe even better than Thailand, in the tourist areas I felt very safe in Bali. Just yah, venturing out, I guess you'd always have the rip-off fear in the back of the head. I could live in Malaysia, but I have to say I would prefer Bali. Just feels freer and more exciting. Yah, KL is calm and organised, I totally agree, but yah, it's a bit staid. I think the excitment factor in Indonesia is bigger.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AwwYesNice1 said:

Ain't much joy being locked down now is there?

Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose
Nothin', it ain't nothin' honey, if it ain't free 

Not a huge inconvenience and having good times.  It will pass regardless. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rumak said:

that photo is near Chomtong....70 km south of Chiangmai city.    I lived there 5 years.

I first lived  just outside of Chiangrai ,  then Fang  150 km north of CM.

Also Doi Saket ....... And have had a home in quiet part of CM for 15 years .

Something about Northern Thailand that keeps me here ... quite beautiful, and cooler than the South.

ns01.jpg

Great

On 7/31/2021 at 10:17 PM, mfd101 said:

I understand what you say. But for me I could only return to Oz, which doesn't entice me, and there would be problems with b/f and his family here. We tried living in Oz together but it was too hard for him ...

So here we stay, fairly insulated in the provinces, leading our chosen lives (but without any travel). My b/f is resisting organizing us to get the jabs, but pressure from me is mounting ...

where did you live in Australia?

i think Sydney is the best place for thai guys

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

I liked Malaya 50 years ago, especially Penang, but when I did a visa run to Penang about 5 years ago I hated it.

Seems to me that it's a fun devoid place now, that sold it's soul for money.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rumak said:

that photo is near Chomtong....70 km south of Chiangmai city.    I lived there 5 years.

I first lived  just outside of Chiangrai ,  then Fang  150 km north of CM.

Also Doi Saket ....... And have had a home in quiet part of CM for 15 years .

Something about Northern Thailand that keeps me here ... quite beautiful, and cooler than the South.

ns01.jpg

Looks very similar to the area around Chiang Dao. I liked that place a lot.

31 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Looks very similar to the area around Chiang Dao. I liked that place a lot.

Chiang Dao is beautiful .  It is about halfway between CM and  Fang ,  where i lived for a few years.

Used to ride my Honda wing on that route often ........ 3 hours from Fang to CM .

great scenery