Thailand reports record high 18,901 new COVID-19 cases

webfact

COVID3.jpg

REUTERS file photo for reference only

Thailand on Tuesday (August 3) reported 18,901 new COVID-19 cases and 147 additional deaths over the past 24 hours.

● 18,158 new infections

● 743 prison / prison infections

Tuesday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 652,185 with 5,315 deaths. 

(Total infections since April 1: 623,322)

The news comes as the Ministry of Public Health is urging the general public to increase compliance with lockdown measures by another five percent, so as to keep the number of new COVID-19 cases and fatalities from rising further, as a recent study shows only 20 percent compliance. The ministry also encourages people to stay home to stem the spread of COVID-19.

Permanent Secretary for Public Health, Dr. Kiattiphum Wongrajit, said today that there is a big difference in the infection and fatality numbers when the lockdown’s effectiveness is increased from 20 to 25 percent.

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Total of 18,901 new infections, with 743 of those from prison and 18,158 in the community. 147 covid deaths recorded.

New high for community infections of 18,158, also a new high of 18,590 of releasing from care, freeing up some much needed space for all the new patients that have been waiting for days to get a bed. 

Rolling 7 day average (up to 1st Aug) which includes prison cases and bar chart of community cases from daily official announcements.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

data 3 aug.png

data 3 aug 2.png

Is that the start of released folk exceeding admitted...surely a great indicator . 

• Haha 1

I think this wk will see a first. >100,000 new infections and possibly 1000 deaths in a single week. If things continue as they are it will take the all up total past 1,000,000 infections and close to or exceeding 10,000 deaths by the end of the month.

7 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Is that the start of released folk exceeding admitted...surely a great indicator . 

We'll see how it is over the next week or so although logically a lot can also be attributed to the new home isolation policy where a large proportion of "green patients" are now instead of field hospitals. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I think this wk will see a first. >100,000 new infections and possibly 1000 deaths in a single week. If things continue as they are it will take the all up total past 1,000,000 infections and close to or exceeding 10,000 deaths by the end of the month.

Perhaps a positive note....

From your projected 1 million infections how many do ‘think’ will be released from care?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Happy sandbox holiday to those who spent all that money and jumped through all those hoops. My question to you is was it worth it?

Directed to those who are actually 'tourists' as apposed to those who are joining family.  For them I doubt the restrictions will make any difference.

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

We'll see how it is over the next week or so although logically a lot can also be attributed to the new home isolation policy where a large proportion of "green patients" are now instead of field hospitals. 

Exactly what I was thinking. A jump of 4.5k in one day has to be down to something else. 1 wk ago discharges were 9,168 so >100% jump in a week.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Happy sandbox holiday to those who spent all that money and jumped through all those hoops. My question to you is was it worth it?

I wonder how many were "on holiday" or just using the sandbox as a jump-off for returning for family, for business etc - not tourists per-se. Guess we will never know.

But for them returnees it still beats ASQ BKK.

3 minutes ago, smedly said:

tomorrow I have to go to a crowded Bank then likely a crowded immigration to renew my 12 month extension, how many rules is that breaking

The feedback I got from someone recently renewing their extension was it was not crowded in immigration and the Extension was done quickly.

• Thanks 2