Lawn Care - Help Needed

Hi Guys - does anyone know of any good products available here that will help with maintaining our grass lawn?  Mainly interested in something that will keep the weeds away, but is still safe for the dogs.

We live in hua hin, and put the lawn down for the second time about 3 years ago, but much the same as last time, the weeds are slowly moving in and taking over.  The lawns are quite big so removing them all by hand would be a long process.  Any great weedkillers available that would help?

Also, any good lawn feeds available that would help to get the grass a little bit stronger and healthier?

Thanks in advance for any ideas / tips  

First off....I'll try to convince you to get rid of the grass and go with a lower maintenance/better for the environment solution..(btw...I am planning the same...grass and shrubs out, pavers and stones in...with container grown drought resistant plants for greenery and color).

If you insist on having a lawn....first step you need to assess is soil PH and adjust that. Normally you would apply lime to the lawn once or twice a year to keep that PH in the optimum level for grass, which is around 6-7. When the lawn gets too acidic...it limits availability of nutrients and allows weeds which are much more opportunistic to thrive.

Second step after you've adjusted PH is to get a good conbination fertilizer/selective weed killer and apply per manufacturer's directions. Most larger garden centers can provide...or even ask around at HomePro/ThaiWatsadu. 

But the key is creating and maintaining the proper growing environment first before you start anything else.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tonray said:

get a good conbination fertilizer/selective weed killer ... Most larger garden centers can provide...or even ask around at HomePro/ThaiWatsadu

I've tried several times to get a selective lawn weed killer in Thailand, but completely failed.  Perhaps you could name the brand that you get here?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Oxx said:

I've tried several times to get a selective lawn weed killer in Thailand, but completely failed.  Perhaps you could name the brand that you get here?

As I said earlier, I'm not a big believer in having a perfect lawn, which is why I'm going to kill mine this year and Xeriscape the whole area. I try not to use too many chemicals (except for termites or roaches) and lawn weedkiller is not something I've tried to acquire here. Sorry I can't help.

lazada is quite good for chemicals and potions i think - if we just knew the brand name of a good weedkiller, or even what it comprised of, i am sure it could be located on lazada using their search engine. 

I bought glysophate on there before when we had a problem with weeds growing at the front of our house, but that would be too strong for the lawn's weeds

4 hours ago, Oxx said:

Google "2D4" it is readily available here.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, driver52 said:

I haven't come across that term before, sounds interesting. is this the sort of look you're going for?

Xeriscaping_USCapital2.jpg

Not the exact look..but liw maintenance low water usage is the idea. Replacement of grass with pavers and stones is the main thrust.

On 8/3/2021 at 5:28 PM, Oxx said:

Only last week I saw some advertised on Lazada as a friend was looking for some don’t remember the name.

I've got similar problems to the OP. I think it's largely dependent on the type of grass you have, mine is Bermuda couch and apparently the local shops/dealers have no idea how to care for it. I've bought various powders and solutions only to find that they are disastrous for the growth.

Now I just cut it and water it with a very mild solution of the general blue pellet fertilizer along with some Trisan fungicide (I used to get a lot of puff-ball mushrooms) once a month. It ain't perfect but is has better coverage and greener color than before. But I do still have a problem with clover in one shady corner.

As stated above, I know that soil pH is important but I'm still trying to find a reliable pH meter, any recommendations would be welcome.

Our lawns in Rayong seem to be pretty much weed free. They are cut weekly and any signs of weeding is removed immediately. Be very careful re applying any form of weed killer. It will kill your grass as well. Best just to remove by hand. Tedious and tiring, but not bad once you get on top of the problem.IMG20180929081929.thumb.jpg.0974576d5506080adf8e1d579e03cd16.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

It's the same as the other stuff. Meant for rice paddy and it will kill grass.

I replied but I don't see it poster, apology if I'm repeating. 

I have used this product for several years on my grass. It certainly only kills weeds, not grass. 

Edited by Speedhump
Speeling

16 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

I have used this product for several years on my grass. It certainly only kills weeds, not grass. 

You may be confused.  Could it be the green stuff you see on your lawn is a bed of weeds and the grass is all dead?

5 hours ago, Oxx said:

5 hours ago, Oxx said:

You may be confused.  Could it be the green stuff you see on your lawn is a bed of weeds and the grass is all dead?

Let's put this to bed, OK? You're just being ridiculous now. 

Screenshot_20210806_203315-2.jpg

Edited by Speedhump