If it isn't water, please don't put it down the sink!!

Crossy

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I shall look out for it. The problem is that once there's no flow the stuff can't get to where it's needed.

In BangNa BigC Mini ???? 

Prevention is better than....

I worked on sewers for many a year and those 'fat burgers' are not really fat. The usual cause of a blockage on sewers was down to 'soap powder'. It does not completely breakdown during a wash cycle. Over use is usually the cause. Use liquid soap.

Typically, liquid detergents will not clog pipes, in either your washing machine or your dishwasher. There is a slightly increased risk of clogging with powdered detergents, but as long as you use the correct amount for the appliance, you shouldn't experience issues with pipe or drain clogging.

• Thanks 1

Thankfully wife is fairly conscientious about pouring used oil into a jar or container of some type, but oh yeah, the rice and bits of other things that get washed down the drain.  Also do the sink fill/wash through from time to time between trap cleanings.  Also let the bathroom sink water run a bit longer after brushing teeth - that trap gets pretty gross after a while too.  ????

46 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

You can buy enzyme stuff for it. Same stuff as used in under sink grease traps.

Blue packet for septic tank, green packet for drains.

Good drainage should not need that remedy . Too small a waste pipe without adequate fall is mostly the problem .

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I shall look out for it. The problem is that once there's no flow the stuff can't get to where it's needed.

I had a similar problem last Monday but with 1 1/2 inch pipe.

Fortunately neither of the 4 metre pipes are glued. I used a 4 metre length plus an extension with a scoury sponge pad tie wrapped to the end.

Wearing rubber gloves I fed the smaller pipe into the drain pipe and just pushed the blockage of odd rice bits out and then pulled it backwards and got more gunk out. Trying to push the second one didn't work as the smaller was too slimy so I used Mole grips and the kitchen wall to clear that one out. I just pulled that on free, hooked the pipes up and ran the sinks water again and the problem was fixed. Until the next time.

And of course it was raining as well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Denim said:

That tiddler has a long way to go before it reaches the 40 ton one found in a London sewer :

Belgravia fatberg: 'Disgusting' mass cleared from sewer - BBC News

Wow!  Be interesting to run a camera snake down into the soi drains in my area.  Wouldn't doubt finding 8' Pythons and who knows what else down there.  Those guys cleaning the drains in Bangkok by hand, deserve a medal for bravery. 

image.jpeg.50a9f160b05ea0907ca5b00383e16379.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 55Jay said:

Those guys cleaning the drains in Bangkok by hand, deserve a medal for bravery. 

It wouldn't surprise me if they do the same in Bkk as they do in Pattaya and use prisoners from the local jails.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Wow!  Be interesting to run a camera snake down into the soi drains in my area.  Wouldn't doubt finding 8' Pythons and who knows what else down there.  Those guys cleaning the drains in Bangkok by hand, deserve a medal for bravery. 

image.jpeg.50a9f160b05ea0907ca5b00383e16379.jpeg

They need more than a medal, something like the wages of current pretenders running the country, these guys are certainly  worth more to society than the clowns running it now. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
17 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Those guys cleaning the drains in Bangkok by hand, deserve a medal for bravery. 

It wouldn't surprise me if they do the same in Bkk as they do in Pattaya and use prisoners from the local jails.

They do, but all the prisoners are volunteers, it is not mandatory.  The chance of a few days outside of a prison is enough to outweigh the foul downsides for some trusted inmates.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They do, but all the prisoners are volunteers, it is not mandatory.  The chance of a few days outside of a prison is enough to outweigh the foul downsides for some trusted inmates.

Sometimes when I see them in my Soi I buy soft drinks for all of them. Not much, but I am pretty sure beer or cash wouldn't be allowed. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:
28 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Sometimes when I see them in my Soi I buy soft drinks for all of them. Not much, but I am pretty sure beer or cash wouldn't be allowed. 

Good man.

You'd be right about beer and cash (they wouldn't be able to do anything with cash in the prison, anyway).   

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

(they wouldn't be able to do anything with cash in the prison, anyway).   

They do get money in jail. It enables them to buy necessities and extra food stuff. Plus pay off gambling debts. My BiL is inside at the mo. 

27 SEP 2018

Up to 10,000 inmates will be allowed to open bank accounts to receive money from relatives via e-banking or ATMs under a pilot project to ease curbs around their daily spending at prisons.

If the new method proves successful, several thousand more detainees at 143 prisons nationwide will follow suit and enjoy what Krungthai Bank (KTB) president Payong Srivanich calls "equality" in money management.

The scheme will also exclude wardens from financial affairs. Some wardens have been accused of siphoning money from some official amounts, tainting the reputation of prison management in Thailand.

ADVERTISEMENT

Until now, wardens have been assigned to receive deposits from relatives of prisoners who need money to buy necessary items ranging from soap to snacks. However, this practice is viewed as inconvenient and vulnerable to abuse.

Corrections Department chief Naras Savestanan signed a deal Wednesday with state-owned KTB agreeing to cooperate on the issue.

Many convicts are jailed in Bangkok while their families live upcountry. That means they often must travel a long distance to physically hand over the cash to wardens.

By law, a maximum of 9,000 baht a month can be deposited in this manner. The per diem allowance is capped at 300 baht.

Not only do inmates have to wait for their families' visits, but there have also been complaints of officials deducting "commissions". In one case, 500 baht of 3,000 baht was said to have been taken by the prison management.

Pol Col Naras said such accusations are groundless but admitted there may have been some "flaws" or delays before the money reaches the inmates.

He said bank accounts linked to internet-based transactions, or traditional money transfers via an ATM, would remove any unnecessary steps and ensure transparency.

1 hour ago, itsari said:

Good drainage should not need that remedy . Too small a waste pipe without adequate fall is mostly the problem .

I probably don't need fuel system cleaner in my motorbike once a year either but for 45 baht ????. But I'm in the shop anyway.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

(they wouldn't be able to do anything with cash in the prison, anyway).   

They're allowed up to 9,000 Baht in their account at any one time. That's good money for a Thai without a job.

Edit: That is per month

Edited by IvorBiggun2