If it isn't water, please don't put it down the sink!!

Crossy

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Good man.

You'd be right about beer and cash (they wouldn't be able to do anything with cash in the prison, anyway).   

Cash is very important in prison, it's the only way to get reasonable food and cigarettes? 

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

They're allowed up to 9,000 Baht in their account at any one time. That's good money for a Thai without a job.

Edit: That is per month

There are shops where they can buy not only the necessities but also food, cookies, drinks, ice, milk, nescafe, sugar, tobacco, cigarettes paper, underwear, all for daily max. 300 Baht, drawn from their account by finger print or credit card. Some will organize a group sharing food ordered day before, the bill shared. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Artisi said:
18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Good man.

You'd be right about beer and cash (they wouldn't be able to do anything with cash in the prison, anyway).   

Cash is very important in prison, it's the only way to get reasonable food and cigarettes? 

No, it is not, cash is not permitted in Thai prisons, neither can it be used in prisons for anything.  Goods in the prisons' shops are purchased using accounts set up in the prisoners names (which only third parties can fund through the prison office) from which costs are deducted, prisoners have no access to cash and no prison facilities accept cash.

12 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

(they wouldn't be able to do anything with cash in the prison, anyway).   

They're allowed up to 9,000 Baht in their account at any one time. That's good money for a Thai without a job.

Edit: That is per month

That's right, they're remote accounts that are operated like a debit card system and do not give the prisoners access to any cash at any time, until they leave the prison. 

That is only "good money" if a third party funds the account directly through the prison's office.  B9,000 is not put their automatically and it is not "per month", it is a balance at any time. 

The account can be topped up by anyone as frequently as wanted as long as the balance does not exceed B9,000.  If a prisoner really wanted to buy goods up to B9,000 every day, he could, as long as someone kept topping up his account daily,

Edited by Liverpool Lou

20 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

Will show this to the wife later, maybe she will finally listen........

I might as well bang my head against the wall first. Never once has the GF asked my why I keep empty plastic yogurt containers in the freezer that go out on trash day, filled wih cooking grease or remants of her curries and the like. I think she just assumes it's some farang ritual. She continues to dump right into the basin......sigh

18 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

(they wouldn't be able to do anything with cash in the prison, anyway).   

They do get money in jail. It enables them to buy necessities and extra food stuff.

They do not get any cash  They can have cash credited to their prison accounts but they cannot access that cash.  The costs of whatever they want to buy are deducted directly from their account balance in the same way as using a debit card.   No necessities or food items can be paid for by prisoners using cash.   I know, I was there.

• Like 1

When the FIL lived in his old house they did not have a sink or drains so everything was poured through a hole in the floor. When he came to live with us he did not understand what the sink strainers were for so he would remove them to pour stuff down the sink. We now have strainers plus a large plastic ribbed bowl in the sink to stop him.

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They do not get any cash

Pray tell me how my BiL can acquire a tidy sum (cash) when it's time to be paroled. I'm told it's gambling debts. Jails are the kinda place where they'd bet on 2 snails slithering up a wall.

Like all jails, where there's a will there's................

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They do not get any cash

Pray tell me how my BiL can acquire a tidy sum (cash) when it's time to be paroled. I'm told it's gambling debts.

No idea but as he's a gambling convict perhaps he's bullsheeting you for some reason.  He could acquire (save) up to B9,000 in his prison account (if 3rd parties from the outside paid it into his prison account at the prison office) and that would be given to him as cash as he is leaving, not before.   

Prisoners in Thai prisons are not permitted to have any cash, they don't need any because there is nothing for them to spend cash on, no prison shops on the prisoner's side accept cash for anything, that's just the way it is.   Anything that they buy is paid for by deduction from their account, not with cash.

How could a prisoner receive cash, anyway, bearing in mind that visitors have no direct contact with prisoners and all communication is behind a glass screen using a phone?   

I know this because (a) it is common knowledge and (b) I've been there, on the wrong side of the screens, personally, and I've been a prison visitor for a number of years.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 8/3/2021 at 1:04 PM, NanLaew said:

I share a house with up to six long-haired females so my twice yearly fatberg tends to have less of a woody and more of a long, stringy consistency.

I know the feeling

My Daughter must have some Genes from a Yak or something.

The Shower is always getting blocked with her hair