Thai police detain man over death of Swiss tourist

Jonathan Fairfield

19 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

It amazes me how quick these cops can grab someone

Not really a tough case not to disparage successful efforts of law enforcement.  If you knew the crime location you would know its rarely visited and if by a local he likely didn't live or work far from there.  There's also no way to get on Laem Panwa except by boat and not be captured on camera. Theres only a few houses on the soi that go to the waterfall.  Suspect was likely seen coming or going.  Then put some money on the street in that area looking for a guy with scratches on his face who was acting weird the day of the crime.  He may have grabbed a bottle of lao khao and some smokes at the nearest mom and pop.  Run the victims credit cards and cellphone for activity after the time of death too.  Probably plenty of DNA at the scene and suspects home due to the nature of the crime for conviction purposes. Confessions not difficult to get on a high guilt crime either.  As far as who ever posted the "guilty until proven innocent" comment, in a rape murder case if you have enough to charge someone a prosecutor is literally asserting his or her guilt, regardless or what a court says (many guilty people are found not guilty but they are never "found innocent") and the release of a photo could turn up additional evidence or victims.  The debate may be moot as the article says he was detained not charged, This could very well be an old mug shot. Generally speaking what you said is true but in a high crime release of a photo is for the greater good.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, impulse said:

Cops all around the world usually quit looking when someone confesses.

Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see anything that says he's confessed. If he had and there was nothing else to look for then he wouldn't be a suspect. Maybe 'suspect' is just a bad translation but if not then it usually means they think he might be responsible but either they can't be sure or don't have enough evidence.

I don't know about all police forces but I think most and certainly those in the UK often ask for any evidence such as witnesses, dashcam or CCTV footage etc so they can build a case as even with a confession things aren't that simple. Sometimes people confess to things they haven't done due to mental health issues. They might retract their confession or alter their story in a way that reduces their responsibility. Maybe there are others involved. If you stop looking and then something like this happens evidence can be lost.

If he's a suspect it isn't finished.

3 hours ago, malcoml said:

The Thai police are quite efficient as the community work with them. When living in Thailand I saw break and enters solved very quickly as there was always someone who saw something and they are happy to talk to the police. In the west people stay quiet…

If the community did work with them then that's a good thing and probably one of the best ways to solve a crime.

I'm not sure why you think that doesn't happen in the west.

12 minutes ago, Knocker33 said:

It was first stated that it was a Burmese that committed the crime. But I suppose they realised they probably couldn't get away with that again

Not by the Police it wasnt , initially the Police didn't give his Nationality , someone just tweeted that he was Burmese and then deleted the tweet  

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

We need confirmation of DNA link for it to be case closed

We need nothing, police has to prove to the court.

49 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see anything that says he's confessed. If he had and there was nothing else to look for then he wouldn't be a suspect. Maybe 'suspect' is just a bad translation but if not then it usually means they think he might be responsible but either they can't be sure or don't have enough evidence.

I don't know about all police forces but I think most and certainly those in the UK often ask for any evidence such as witnesses, dashcam or CCTV footage etc so they can build a case as even with a confession things aren't that simple. Sometimes people confess to things they haven't done due to mental health issues. They might retract their confession or alter their story in a way that reduces their responsibility. Maybe there are others involved. If you stop looking and then something like this happens evidence can be lost.

If he's a suspect it isn't finished.

It was stated clearly he confessed.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

As a 13 year prison visitor, the wisest words I ever heard outside a prison from a wrinkled faced old Thai lady was "This prison isn't full of guilty people. It is full of poor people." She was right.

The rich pay their way off, the well to do have a fighting chance with a good lawyer, given the prosecution are none too bright, nor the judges come to that,

The accused poor are as good as hung, the day the cops announce this is the man.

Thai justice, which strangely never finds any wrongdoing by bent cops, or politicians unless they have been overthrown in a coup, normally as an ends to justify the means.

I have been on the wrong end of this when the same family name was good enough for the cops to broadcast an arrest.

When they got it right and got the right fella, they broadcast that too, but never said sorry for their original mistake.

Photos and names of unconvicted accused should not be made public unless the evidence is overwhelming, and probably not even then as it could taint potential witnesses.

Try telling that to photo happy cops though.

While I am not disputing what you say, the sad truth is that this is only slightly different from what happens in Western countries. Take the USA, for instance. The police like nothing better than to make the accused do the "perp walk" with the media well-notified in advance even though no trial has yet taken place. Many so-called charges are found to be somewhat less well-founded at a later stage when they reach court or even before they reach court, if they ever do.

As regards only poor people going to jail, all I can say is that very few rich folks go to prison in the USA. Many people are in American prisons there because they cannot pay a fine, ran out of money and cannot pay maintenance because they lost their job or source of income, cannot afford the bail or cannot afford a really good lawyer who stops law enforcement actually breaking the law or over-reaching on issues such as probation.

I know a good example of how justice depends on wealth and money - no names and no locations or details but you will get what I mean. Two people were caught in the same jurisdiction for the same kind of crime - drug related, no death or assaults involved. Both had court appointed attorneys and both were given 20 years after trial. The black one had no money and no relatives who had money and ended up doing most of the time before he eventually got probation.

The white one had a relative who was wealthy and who hired a really good set of lawyers for the appeal. Because the extremely busy police and prosecutors thought they had a guy with no resources (they knew he had a court appointed attorney), they cut corners when compiling the case. The court appointed attorney just goes through the motions as s/he is paid miserably. So the set of good quality lawyers found a stack of things wrong with the case and the appeal court threw it out and the white guy walked free (even though most likely he would have been found guilty if the case had been properly compiled). It cost a small fortune in lawyers' fees.

So what is really different between populations in Thailand's jails and those in the USA? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

It was an impulsive crime. The suspect was probably on a meth bender and probably didn't understand the extent of what he did by the time the cops arrived.

Probably ? Possibly more like, if at all. 

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

We need nothing, police has to prove to the court.

It was stated clearly he confessed.

Yes I've seen later posts mentioning that but I was referring the original article. Even so it still doesn't mean it's finished yet.

22 hours ago, grain said:

Well he confessed after they gave him "intensive interrogation" and it's been reported that he has lots of bruises on his body. So let's hope they do have the killer and not just some local loser they're grabbed to shut this damn thing down asap.

normally the telephone book won't bring out bruising so I'm wondering what method was used ....

49 minutes ago, humqdpf said:

While I am not disputing what you say, the sad truth is that this is only slightly different from what happens in Western countries. Take the USA, for instance. The police like nothing better than to make the accused do the "perp walk" with the media well-notified in advance even though no trial has yet taken place. Many so-called charges are found to be somewhat less well-founded at a later stage when they reach court or even before they reach court, if they ever do.

As regards only poor people going to jail, all I can say is that very few rich folks go to prison in the USA. Many people are in American prisons there because they cannot pay a fine, ran out of money and cannot pay maintenance because they lost their job or source of income, cannot afford the bail or cannot afford a really good lawyer who stops law enforcement actually breaking the law or over-reaching on issues such as probation.

I know a good example of how justice depends on wealth and money - no names and no locations or details but you will get what I mean. Two people were caught in the same jurisdiction for the same kind of crime - drug related, no death or assaults involved. Both had court appointed attorneys and both were given 20 years after trial. The black one had no money and no relatives who had money and ended up doing most of the time before he eventually got probation.

The white one had a relative who was wealthy and who hired a really good set of lawyers for the appeal. Because the extremely busy police and prosecutors thought they had a guy with no resources (they knew he had a court appointed attorney), they cut corners when compiling the case. The court appointed attorney just goes through the motions as s/he is paid miserably. So the set of good quality lawyers found a stack of things wrong with the case and the appeal court threw it out and the white guy walked free (even though most likely he would have been found guilty if the case had been properly compiled). It cost a small fortune in lawyers' fees.

So what is really different between populations in Thailand's jails and those in the USA? 

A lot of what you say has a little bit of truth but I think you leap to some conclusions. 

The reason rich people get away with more crime than poor people is mostly because a good lawyer is a formable opponent for the prosecution.  They’ll take a lesser plea deal for a guaranteed win.  

But guess what?  A good accountant will get you a better deal with the IRS than a bad one.  A good doctor will get better medical outcomes than an average one.  

There’s a reason why they’re considered “good” at what they do and command a higher price for their services.  

Most poor people, often get a public defender who has 100 cases and enough time for 5.  

So, the prosecutor knows they don’t have to negotiate as hard to get a plea.  The risk of losing in court is lower and the attorney wants a deal to clear the case off his workload.  

The other major reason poor people get convicted more often than rich people is that rich people know to <deleted>.  

If I got arrested in the US, the first, middle, and last words out of my mouth to the detective would be, “I want a lawyer.”  

Now, they 100% have to prove the case against me.  And unless I’m under arrest, I already know they don’t have a slam dunk case against me.  

But poor people often go willingly into the interrogation room to “answer a few questions.”  

Like, if you’re a gun owner in the US, there’s an insurance you can buy where if you shoot someone they automatically provide you with legal defense.  

Say you shoot someone breaking into your house.  First off, they tell you exactly what steps to follow before you call the police.  They tell you exactly what to say to the 911 operator.  And they instruct you on what to say to the police before their attorneys can get to you.  

He was on my property and I feared for my life and the lives of my family members.  I would like to consult with my attorney before making any further statements.   

They recommend that you don’t make any statement, even with an attorney, until 72 hours after the incident and their lawyers will hold the investigators at bay until you formulate the exact wording of your statement that you intend to give to the police.  

Poor people willingly give a statement that is often used against them.  

I’m not saying that poor people don’t get railroaded.  I’m just saying it isn’t alway nefarious.  

The vast majority of people wrongfully convicted, anywhere in the world, is usually the result of incompetent legal council and-or a defendant who willingly sits in interrogation for hours without asking for a lawyer.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kwak250 said:

we have good news. It's finished," police chief Suwat Jangyodsuk told reporters.

This seems to me a bad choice of words 

"Its finished" would be better suited to a missing child that has been found or a hostage situation that was resolved.

Translation thing...  Thai is the guy's primary language. 

How many times have you gone into a store and asked for something, only to be told "finish"?

• Like 1

"In Phuket, we have good news. It's finished," police chief Suwat Jangyodsuk told reporters.

He said a suspect had been detained, but did not give further details when responding to questions from reporters.

Arrested - therefore guilty - as a matter of interest is he Burmese?

• Sad 2

For 300 or 3000 baht, I would have given it to any robber. It's not worth my life. It's not 30,000 baht.

So the 'rape' reported earlier was false info?

Anyway, RIP

Edited by EricTh

7 hours ago, Knocker33 said:

It was first stated that it was a Burmese that committed the crime. But I suppose they realised they probably couldn't get away with that again

Teerawat Thothip is a Thai name and not Burmese name.

Burmese name is usually 3 or 4 monosyllabic words

15 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

No, he's saying the victim is the one who is innocent, not the perpetrator.

no.  putting innocent in quotes, thusly:  "but.. this is the face of the “innocent” woman." indicates scorn or derision or doubt, unless the OP is wildly unfamiliar with the English language.