Thai police charge local man with murder of Swiss tourist on Phuket

webfact

supplied.jpg.4d7d0be17b98fe919ebd3d713d1686bc.jpg

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Police in Thailand said on Sunday a 27-year-old Thai man had been charged with the murder a Swiss woman who was found dead earlier this week on the resort island of Phuket.

"Police have charged the offender for murder and robbery causing death," Krisana Pattanacharoen, a deputy police spokesman said at a news conference in Phuket.

"The cause of death has yet to be confirmed and autopsy has yet to be released," he said.

The victim, 57-year-old Swiss tourist Nicole Sauvain-Weisskopf, was visiting Thailand under the new Phuket Sandbox tourist campaign that allows fully vaccinated travellers to enter the island without quarantine as long as they remain on there for two weeks.

The suspect knocked out the tourist and robbed her, having encountered the woman at a waterfall where he had gone to find fruits, Nanthadet Yoinuan, deputy provincial police chief said.

"He found 300 baht ($9) in her bag and used it to buy drugs, drinks and phone repairs," he said.

After he was detained and questioned, the suspect confessed to attacking the victim, Nanthadet said.

Police also took the unusual step of having the suspect call in to the press briefing to make a statement.

The safety of visitors is a sensitive issue for Thailand, as tourism is a key industry, accounting for 12% of GDP in 2019, though it has been hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic.

($1 = 33.4500 baht)

(Reporting by Chayut Setboonsarng; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-08-09

Sandbox tourist killer confesses to attacking Swiss woman, denies intent to murder, rape

1628412942_1-org.jpg

Phuket Town, earlier today (Aug 8). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Teerawat Thothip, a 27-year-old resident of Pa Khlok in Phuket has confessed to choking Swiss tourist Nicole Sauvain-Weiskopf with a headlock, but has denied intention to kill her and denied any attempt to rape her.

The nationally broadcast press conference was held at Phuket Provincial Police Station, in

He just wanted her money and belongings, he told a press conference broadcast nationally today (Aug 8).

Teerawat was arrested by police yesterday for the murder of Ms Sauvain-Weisskopf, whose body was found near the Ao Yon Waterfall on Phuket’s east coast on Thursday (Aug 6).

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/sandbox-tourist-killer-confesses-to-attacking-swiss-woman-denies-intent-to-murder-rape-80978.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-08-09

Suspect charged with murder and robbery in death of Swiss tourist on Phuket

swiss-murder-phuket.jpg

The suspect, being held in police custody in connection with the death of a Swiss tourist, told the Thai media today (Sunday) that he only intended to steal her money and only assaulted her when she resisted.

The victim, 57-year old Ms. Nicole Sauvain-Weisskopf, deputy protocol chief of the Federal Assembly of Germany, was visiting the popular resort island under the Phuket “sandbox” program, which allows the entry of foreign tourists who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and who have tested negative 72 hours before their arrival in Phuket.

Her body was found on Thursday, face-down in a creek near the Ton Ao Yon waterfall, about a kilometre from her hotel. Police said she had been dead for about two days.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/suspect-charged-with-murder-and-robbery-in-death-of-swiss-tourist-on-phuket/

Logo-top-.png

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The suspect, being held in police custody in connection with the death of a Swiss tourist, told the Thai media today (Sunday) that he only intended to steal her money and only assaulted her when she resisted.

So, what he is saying is that she didn´t freely give me the bag, which resulted in that I have to use necessary force for her to release the bag in my custody.

Someone was saying drugs should be decriminalised, on the "Robin Hood" drug dealer thread, which I can sympathise with if users only ruined their own lives. This is an extreme case of how drugs affect those around the user. 

Assuming money and not rape was the motive here would cheap freely available drugs have saved her life? I doubt it but it is certainly a debate that needs investigating. 

To me drug taking is not a problem as it is their choice and only affects the them. If he/she overdoses it's their fault. 

The problem is how it affects others - partners, children, parents, colleagues and those harmed by the violence and crimes committed and things like drug driving. 

If laws around drug use are relaxed it may reduce the crimes committed to help obtain the drugs but all the other problems will still be their. 

Did this <deleted> kill her to fund his habit or because he was already under the influence? 

There are still crimes committed connected to tobacco and alcohol but you don't hear much about robberies and murders committed by people having a joint or two. 

I can't say I  have a solution but do think crimes committed to feed a drug habit should be treated differently. Stealing a PlayStation to help feed your family is way different to stealing it to feed your habit. One is desperation and the other is desperation but the second is desperation caused by choice. 

Even the risk of a death sentence does little to deter some people so another strategy needs to be found - not because we should care about low life's like this <deleted> but because we care about our wife's, mothers, sisters and daughters!

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronyms removed.

"He found 300 baht ($9) in her bag and used it to buy drugs, drinks and phone repairs," he said. Surely this cannot be right. A very sad thing to happen my thought go out to her family. will be interesting to see the outcome for this low life . RIP lady you did not deserve  this 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, chang1 said:

Someone was saying drugs should be decriminalised, on the "Robin Hood" drug dealer thread, which I can sympathise with if users only ruined their own lives. This is an extreme case of how drugs affect those around the user. 

Assuming money and not rape was the motive here would cheap freely available drugs have saved her life? I doubt it but it is certainly a debate that needs investigating. 

To me drug taking is not a problem as it is their choice and only affects the them. If he/she overdoses it's their fault. 

The problem is how it affects others - partners, children, parents, colleagues and those harmed by the violence and crimes committed and things like drug driving. 

If laws around drug use are relaxed it may reduce the crimes committed to help obtain the drugs but all the other problems will still be their. 

Did this <deleted> kill her to fund his habit or because he was already under the influence? 

There are still crimes committed connected to tobacco and alcohol but you don't hear much about robberies and murders committed by people having a joint or two. 

I can't say I  have a solution but do think crimes committed to feed a drug habit should be treated differently. Stealing a PlayStation to help feed your family is way different to stealing it to feed your habit. One is desperation and the other is desperation but the second is desperation caused by choice. 

Even the risk of a death sentence does little to deter some people so another strategy needs to be found - not because we should care about low life's like this <deleted> but because we care about our wife's, mothers, sisters and daughters!

"Even the risk of a death sentence does little to deter some people so another strategy needs to be found..."

Maybe, maybe not, but it'd make me feel better if I was a member of her family or a friend. It would also save the taxpayer heaps of money in keeping the scum alive in jail, with the possibility of early realease to do the same to some other poor person.

• Like 2

It is curious how this time, the international press has had a great impact on the tragedy, perhaps the fact that the victim was a person of high rank and social level had an influence.  I did not see the same repercussion with previous crimes in LOS.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Very little and slim guy, no strength. Only way he could have killed her is by a surprise blow to the back of the head with a blunt object. A little <deleted> like that could never wrestle anything up front.

• Confused 1