Airports of Thailand revenue hit as pandemic takes its toll

webfact

Bangkok-620x330.jpg

By Chris Madden in Financial News

Revenue across the business fell 79% year-on-year in the 9 months to June

Airports of Thailand saw revenue across its business fall 79% year-on-year to 6.363bn Baht ($494.6m) in the nine months to 30 June 2021.

The drop was reflected in an 85.9% year-on-year fall in concession revenue for the period, as it dropped from 7.722bn Baht to 1.082bn Baht.

The figures show slightly better for the last quarter, with total revenue for the three months to 30 June 2021 seeing revenue increase from 0.09% year-on-year from 1.739bn Baht in 2020 to 1.897bn Baht in 2021. Concession revenue for the third quarter was 365m Baht, which reflected a 0.07% increase on 2020.

Full story: https://www.dfnionline.com/latest-news/airports-thailand-revenue-hit-pandemic-takes-toll-12-08-2021/

df.jpg

-- © Copyright DFNI FRONTIER 2021-08-13

Going to be a tough time for Thai tourism for a few years. 

It's easy to forget that Thai airways also is under a mountain of debt and a restructuring arrangement. 

Many tourist businesses have shuttered and lost everything. 

It's a good 5 years to any serious recovery. 

• Like 2

There is a very strange principal in the business world known as lack utilization. When facilities are not used, they do not generate money. Rocket science stuff. Hello! 

When you sabotage an industry sufficiently, it will cease to generate capital. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DaveSamutP said:

Going to be a tough time for Thai tourism for a few years. 

It's easy to forget that Thai airways also is under a mountain of debt and a restructuring arrangement. 

Many tourist businesses have shuttered and lost everything. 

It's a good 5 years to any serious recovery. 

Judging by many comments on this forum - if Thailand abolished quarantine for fully vaccinated tourists the industry would bounce back tomorrow.........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2021 at 3:57 AM, it is what it is said:

another consequence of the slow vaccination programme, airports in europe are gearing up and getting back into business. it must be so frustrating for businesses

It's frustrating for everyone. I have flight booked for 1st September but I have no idea if it will be cancelled or what. Doesn't give me anytime to book alternative transport if it is

The figures show slightly better for the last quarter, with total revenue for the three months to 30 June 2021 seeing revenue increase from 0.09% year-on-year from 1.739bn Baht in 2020 to 1.897bn 

+ 0.09%. A passenger must have bought a carton more cigarettes as usual.

I wonder how "King Power" is doing---even though they have taken a double hit--- their huge investment in the Foxes ,

They still issued a press release this month saying that they will spend Millions £ expanding

their stadium, adding a 220 room hotel with shopping ,etc etc.

On 8/13/2021 at 12:41 PM, RichardColeman said:

I seriously dread what the price of an already expensive Burger King meal in departures will rise to to cover the lost passing tourist revenue. 

Might as well book Biz Class and get the snacks and a beer in the lounge.