Prime Minister Is Worried over Rising Contaminated Waste in Bangkok

snoop1130

655b28e5eb770b82a265fc9d972cc2fb_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha is worried over the rising amount of contaminated waste in Bangkok, averaging around 100,000kg per day.

Deputy government spokeswoman Traisuree Taisaranakul said on Thursday that a large amount of this waste is Covid-related medical waste. The COVID-19 outbreak has led to a rise in demand for medical products resulting in an increase in used surgical masks, tissue paper and antigen test kits being discarded.

She said Gen Prayut also stressed the need to educate residents on how to properly separate infectious waste. The government suggested people put used face masks in a plastic bag and seal it firmly, before dumping it in an orange-colored rubbish bin. Authorities also suggested people place antigen test kits in a red double plastic bag and sealing it firmly.

According to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), City Hall workers on 10 August had dealt with 125,072kg of contaminated waste. Of that amount, 63,958kg was COVID-19-related waste while general waste made up the rest.

nnt.jpg
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The government suggested people put used face masks in a plastic bag and seal it firmly, before dumping it in an orange-colored rubbish bin. Authorities also suggested people place antigen test kits in a red double plastic bag and sealing it firmly.

And is the government going to supply these billions of bags, free of charge, to the impoverished people?

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thanks 1

Their paranoid obsession with contaminated surfaces and waste is ridiculous. And no, you won't "educate" Bangkok's masses to discard their contaminated waste "properly", they have bigger worries right now on their own.

Completely out of touch, maybe it really is time to quit!

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, itsari said:

Face masks dumped on the streets every few meters in my area . Unbelievable disregard for there fellow citizens .

Where is that? Every few meters? You must have chosen the worst place in Thailand.

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

I would agree with this one - There is a lot of contaminate waste in Bangkok, most in uniforms ...............................LOL

Don't forget the medals, ribbons and all the other bling.

13 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Into what?

In my Moo ban they have an area of wheelie bins... everything goes into them.

Then the truck comes and everything goes into the back of that.... no sorting.

In my soi at Asoke, our wheelie bins got dumped on the road and sorted for good stuff before going into the truck.  It happened at 2:00 AM so very few people saw it happen.  And that was after the apartment staff rummaged through and took out what they could resell, before wheeling them out to the street.  Again, when the residents weren't around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, impulse said:

In my soi at Asoke, our wheelie bins got dumped on the road and sorted for good stuff before going into the truck.  It happened at 2:00 AM so very few people saw it happen.  And that was after the apartment staff rummaged through and took out what they could resell, before wheeling them out to the street.  Again, when the residents weren't around.

do you sometimes hear a scream when someone finds the sharp end of a discarded needle....?   

43 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

do you sometimes hear a scream when someone finds the sharp end of a discarded needle....?   

Anyone who rummages through BKK trash is tougher than me, and probably immune by now to all but Ebola.