'We don't know if we'll survive': Thailand sex workers left struggling as COVID-19 lockdown drags on

webfact

21 hours ago, hotchilli said:

She obviously lived for the day... no future plan

Probably thinking the good times would never end.

Unfortunately, no one could have imaged something like this, but they all had a chance to plan for the future. I'm sure some did, but most, <deleted> it down the toilet as fast as they received it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

And this sex industry will only get bigger with more girls that will return to the areas when things will get back to normal , because they all will need to pay of their parrents' debts that have been made during this pandemic and there will be more families in debt then there have ever been  . There will be a lot more girls going into this business then ever before when tourists start to return . 

Supply and demand.

Punters should be getting some real bargains, like the good ol days!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Straight8 said:

Unfortunately, no one could have imaged something like this, but they all had a chance to plan for the future. I'm sure some did, but most, <deleted> it down the toilet as fast as they received it.

Plan for the future kinda hard to do when the girl has some thai male parasite living with her ( whether she wants him or not)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Are you saying that the smart hookers were all studying in their spare time? 

That those playing on their phones weren't the clever ones?

From what I've seen - it's the prettiest one's that seem to get on. 

I didn't know the punters where checking resume's & qualifications. 

Well not academic qualifications ????

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Because some of them are in reality decent enough people. You would be surprised, but a lot of them really would like a foreign husband (or sponsor), who would help her financially and take the weight of bringing up a kid the earlier husband has abandoned.

This doesn't surprise me at all.

My curiosity is more about what the foreign husband finds appealing about that arrangement. If they're happy then that's great. But the idea of marrying a former bargirl and raising someone else's kid isn't something that resonates with me at all, and so I'm just trying to broaden my horizons by reading the perspectives of others.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, The Cipher said:

My curiosity is more about what the foreign husband finds appealing about that arrangement. If they're happy then that's great. But the idea of marrying a former bargirl and raising someone else's kid isn't something that resonates with me at all, and so I'm just trying to broaden my horizons by reading the perspectives of others.

Well it certainly is not for everyone, and many cultures do not do well taking other people's children on board. Former bargirl, what has passed has passed. Kids are appealing whoever sired them, and can even accept you as a father, and the guy has the compassion. You see such family groups all the  time and they look happy enough, some guys love kids and want them in their lives. 

But I too have some reservations.... that of older guys marrying Thai girls rather too young for them... and having children. A 70 year old isn't likely to be around long enough to be a good father to a newborn as it grown older. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

You would be surprised, but a lot of them really would like a foreign husband (or sponsor), who would help her financially and take the weight of bringing up a kid the earlier husband has abandoned. These are to be found in bars, and that is where she needs to be, working, and doing what that entails.

What you are describing is an ATM which is what the foreign men end up being

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

But I too have some reservations.... that of older guys marrying Thai girls rather too young for them... and having children. A 70 year old isn't likely to be around long enough to be a good father to a newborn as it grown older. 

I agree. Which is why I hope I don't have kids. At least none I know of.
I'm a ways away from 70, but even a 60 year old having a kid is bad. You'd be 80 when "it" graduates high school, assuming you made it that long. My dad passed on at 77 (I came along when he was 29 though). 
If he'd had a kid at 60 though, he'd have died when the kid was just 17.

And the kid would quite likely end up a new "dad" who probably wouldn't care for them as much. Or worse, might care for them a little too much..........:unsure:

The g/f told me a couple years ago that her mom wants her to have a baby because she misses having a wee one around the house. Apparently she'd have no problem with her daughter popping one out and leaving it with her to raise. (Assuming the daughter and her boyfriend/husband/whoever was chipping in to help raise it of course.)

I know a guy up north who recently had a kid and I'm sure he's a few years older than I am and, I suspect, probably not destined for a long, healthy life (drinks and smokes a lot). His daughter will be lucky if he's still around when she graduates.

Of course, a lot of punters have no idea about what is really going on "back home". I suspect many rarely, if ever, visit the better half's home village. I've heard some mention that they refuse to go and if the girl's parents want to see her, they can come visit (for a couple days) and that's it.

Used to be as well that a girl wouldn't bring a foreigner "home" with her as she didn't want the whole village to think she was a hooker and the foreigner was one of her customers.

And most old, dawdling foreigners wouldn't want to spend a lot of time in a remote Isaan village anyways where the only thing to do all day is swat at flies and try to remember the names of all the chickens running around the yard.

So they may not have a clue that her "mom" seems to have a lot of kids for a woman "her age". Or that "her brother/cousin/uncle" never seems to have a wife/girlfriend of his own, but is always around when she comes to visit.

I'm surprised we haven't read stories about all the dead "kwai" littering the rice fields of Isaan, as they haven't been getting the medicine that all those girls in all those bars over all those years have said they needed !

"Oh won't someone think about the buffalo !"

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Met a girl today, lost her phone had to buy a junk second hand one because she sends all her money home for baby and family bills.

Another girl two days ago family business has gone bust so no job, 80 baht left and family can't support anymore, doesn't know what to do, must be millions like that

thats very nice of you but, if the situation was reveresed, would she buy you a phone/help you back on your feet?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Straight8 said:

regarldess of gender/culture,  its not rocket science,

you could die tomorrow, you might regret not living it up, thats the gamble you take in life

ive had 2 friends who lived pay to pay+ more, were unemployed and still refused to change their lifestyle.

fast fwd 10 years, one of them got lucky gambling and paid his $100,000 debt all back in one shot, now lives the same high life but has a good paying job,

the other his credit ruined, he will be a renter for life, and is always struggling financially,

some people are lucky , some are not, but its not luck/unlucky if you cant tell that some jobs wont be around/possible for ever

On 8/16/2021 at 9:05 AM, Taboo2 said:

Karma is a bitch.....remember all those lonely souls they ripped off?  Well, sooner or later Karma was coming to get you....555555

If karma is a bitch like you say, then surely those "lonely souls" did something negative in their past and deserved being ripped off, karma came and got them eh?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Are you saying that the smart hookers were all studying in their spare time? 

That those playing on their phones weren't the clever ones?

Yes. There's an education to be found in that environment if they try. It requires a good, positive attitude, which most people learn rewards them with advancement, while the opposite does not. Same as in any job. Being open and polite with people, engaging in conversation, finding doors to be open.

With this their skills can develop, people skills, English skills. It doesn't always happen in a classroom, or by opening books. Not just in the sex industry, but with any kind of service, leading to the tips that restaurant and hotel workers receive, the return clients I landed when I was in sales way back when, and the regulars with the online teaching I do now. Then with some of these customers a relationship may develop, personal or professional, allowing them to leave those jobs or move up to better ones. It's why the best jobs to be landed aren't to be found in the listings, but by networking.

In the same vein, down the road from my Issan village are some large houses built by farangs, for Thai ladies with whom they had forged relationships. And contrary to popular belief, they don't always take the money and run. Most of those couples are still together, my wife tells me. I don't think they all were sex workers, but at one time had been involved in some work in BKK or Patts, leading them to cross paths with some farang, and due to their positive, friendly, proactive demeanors, had been rewarded.

Or on the other hand, as stated, they could've spent most of their time on that barstool, buried in that phone, not being proactive, positive, nor outgoing, acting like princesses, seeking only to do the deed and get paid, then quickly blowing it on booze, drugs, gambling, tattoos, living in the moment. My wife and I know one such young lady, who I can't believe still has such terrible English after her years of work, while others who built a relationship with a foreigner BF fared much better. She scowls and looks <deleted> at the world whenever we see her passing through the moo ban, yet only has herself to blame.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

What you are describing is an ATM which is what the foreign men end up being

Up to oneself what one chooses to be.... but we all know Thai ladies will be looking for money. If some man is so dumb as to allow himself to be used this way his look out.... many relationships have more depth to them.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, The Cipher said:

This doesn't surprise me at all.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm aware of the definition; I was just clarifying the legal situation regarding prostitution in Thailand.  Like in the UK, the actual act of paying someone for sexual services is not illegal in Thailand, unless the provider is underage, coerced, or it takes place in a brothel etc.  It's why the barfine system was introduced.  No money for "services" should be exchanged until the client and provider are somewhere private.  So technically prostitution is not illegal in Thailand, although many aspects surrounding it are.  Hope this helps.

Sorry absolutely no help whatsoever go argue it in court! 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

Most are too lazy to put in the effort of making money from internet customers.  They are use to the customers coming to them . Thats why they chose that work. 

Which brings us up back at the very start of this thread/conversation, properly titled "Thailand sex workers left struggling" asking themselves if they'll ever be able to fleece tourists ever again?

That is all they are complaining about.

That is what the core of the article is all about, it isn't about "how can we reinvent ourselves? how can we seize this pandemic as an opportunity to call for a progressive change? how can give a good attempt at reinventing the wheel?", it's none of that.

It's "How the taxi mafia can retain very little control it has over Uber and competitors so we can keep scamming tourists?", "How can your typical bargirl/mamasan/barowner can keep fleecing the tourists with excessive and unnecessary barfines so we can keep milking those idiot farangs over and over?", "How can we change the property laws a tidbit to make sure foreigners invest in overpriced poorly maintained condominiums to keep the cash flow pouring into our flawed economy?", "How can we revoke visas, add unnecessary loopholes and extensive requirements to retirement visas etc, so we can milk those foreigners for even more money?", etc, etc, etc...

The country hasn't progressed an inch over the past 40 years; it is still all about 1% of the population the "Hi-So" living it up in Bangkok hirise condos while the other 99% rest are struggling either in the sex trade industry or in the rice fields.

The country will never change as long as it's coups after coups; corruption after corruption self elected officials and of course scams towards foreigners scam after scam after scam.

They had one very tiny slim chance at change two years ago with the election, they dissolved the Future Forward party to make sure this would NEVER happen again,  this country is fubar'ed beyond repair.

My only advice as a foreigner is; fly in, empty your testicles, fly out. There's nothing else waiting for us here nor there will ever be.

Edited by NanaSomchai
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

Which brings us up back at the very start of this thread/conversation, properly titled "Thailand sex workers left struggling" asking themselves if they'll ever be able to fleece tourists ever again?

That is all they are complaining about.

That is what the core of the article is all about, it isn't about "how can we reinvent ourselves? how can we seize this pandemic as an opportunity to call for a progressive change? how can give a good attempt at reinventing the wheel?", it's none of that.

It's "How can the taxi mafia can retain very little control it has over Uber and competitors so we can keep scamming tourists?", "How can your typical bargirl/mamasan/barowner can keep fleecing the tourists with excessive and unnecessary barfines so we can keep milking those idiot farangs over and over?", "How can we change the property laws a tidbit to make sure foreigners invest in overpriced poorly maintained condominiums to keep fleecing them?", etc, etc...

The country hasn't progressed an inch over the past 40 years; it is still all about 1% of the population the "Hi-So" living it up in Bangkok hirise condos while the other 99% rest are struggling either in the sex trade industry or in the rice fields.

The country will never change as long as it's coups after coups; corruption after corruption self elected officials and of course scams towards foreigners after scam.

They had one very tiny slim chance at change two years ago with the election, they dissolved the Future Forward party to make sure this would NEVER happen again,  this country is fubar'ed beyond repair.

My only advice as a foreigner is; fly in, empty your testicles, fly out. There's nothing else waiting for us here nor there will ever be.

And those are the reasons you are not in Thailand ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I'm surprised we haven't read stories about all the dead "kwai" littering the rice fields of Isaan, as they haven't been getting the medicine that all those girls in all those bars over all those years have said they needed !

I'm sure someone will make some stories up soon.

• Like 1