Prachuap: Contractor appeals to the media after local authority reneges on 22 million baht new road payment

webfact

10pm_SUN.jpg

Picture 77kaoded

A road contractor has appealed to Thai media 77kaoded for help after the Prachuap Khiri Khan provincial authority have not paid a 22 million baht instalment on a new beachside road intended to promote tourism.

ACM - a road contractor and repair firm - say they have been owed the money for five months. 

The road - a 3.75 km stretch from Ban Thung Mamao to Ban Bo Nok in Muang district - is finished and the delay in payment is causing great trouble for the company.

They were told my the local authority that due to a mistake by a provincial official the money was "not set aside for use".

10pm1_SUN.jpg

Picture 77kaoded

This comes after a case in the province where a woman in the provincial authority embezzled 40 million baht to repay gambling debts adding to fears something like that may be the real reason behind the non payment.

The company told the media they have sent letters of complaint to the Interior Ministry, Provincial Governor and the Damrongtham watchdog but the matter is not progressing at all. 

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

This comes after a case in the province where a woman in the provincial authority embezzled 40 million baht to repay gambling debts adding to fears something like that may be the real reason behind the non payment.

I wonder what else they haven't paid for?

A quick think about this reminds me of the sudden inexplicable failure of the waste disposal agreement which had been in place for years and was expected to be renewed right up until just days before it was cancelled.

No money left?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Concrete also withstands the punishment of heavy Trucks far better than Tarmac.

Actually because of the heat conditions. Otherwise the rest of the world would use it too.

On 8/21/2021 at 5:37 AM, webfact said:

They were told my the local authority that due to a mistake by a provincial official the money was "not set aside for use".

21 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Concrete also withstands the punishment of heavy Trucks far better than Tarmac.

Except the 50mm thick slab shown in the pix will just about support a motorcycle........

On 8/21/2021 at 1:27 PM, ourmanflint said:

Why do they still build these concrete type roads? 

An interesting question, with several interesting replies. It is the same here in Cambodia and where I live in Siem Reap, the city is currently reconstructing 38 roads and looks like a massive building site. Photo taken by me outside my apartment block:-

DSCF8060.thumb.JPG.559232b2d09c1f5ae3ba091dac5975f7.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 11:37 AM, webfact said:

Send an email... pay by the end of the month or I'll dig up the road as without payment I still own it. !!!!!

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 1:22 PM, Gottfrid said:

But then they can just take some money from drug busts and closing of gambling dens! Opps! Sorry, forgot that is already marked for specific pockets.

Bit naive does not work that way anywhere in the world. Money must come from the budget 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Bit naive does not work that way anywhere in the world. Money must come from the budget 

Yes, I know that Robbie. The real underlying meaning is that such money does hardly ever reach the budget. If it did, it could be included, which probably would fill a lot of holes in the budget today.

However, on the second side, maybe there would be a lot more embezzled instead. Pick your poison!

Edited by Gottfrid