Runners Not Wearing Masks

FrankThePlumber

45 minutes ago, Phuum said:

FYI masks do nothing to limit aerosol viruses (like Sars-Cov19) from spreading, it's pure theather. Wearing one outside is beyond stupid. The idea with a surgical mask is to limit bacterial transmission. Corona virus particles are far too small for the fabric to do any good. But don't take my word for it - look it up yourself!

That's one of the reasons why this virus seems to be so easily transmissable: governments all over the world insist on taking measures that do not work. Wearing a mask will only give a false sense of security, making people ignore social distancing. And it's harmfull for your overall health as mentioned in earlier posts.

But I'm not suggesting to stop wearing masks where it is required by law, as it's not worth the hassle to be attacked by the misinformed sheep around you.

Brilliantly said. Another study released just days ago confirms surgical masks are not suitable..The best description I heard was likening it to throwing sand at a chain link fence. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2021 at 8:54 PM, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Worse that will happen is that someone will ask you to put your mask back on. 

It is not against the law to not wear a mask when exercising, I never wear a mask when I'm exercising (cycling) and no one had better complain including the police, or they will get told where to get off.

• Like 2

I jog 10km early most mornings. No way I'm wearing a mask, but lucky I'm away from people.

When cycling, I have a mask handy for when going slowly through a temple or market. But the rest of the time I don't wear one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phuum said:

FYI masks do nothing to limit aerosol viruses (like Sars-Cov19) from spreading, it's pure theather. Wearing one outside is beyond stupid. The idea with a surgical mask is to limit bacterial transmission. Corona virus particles are far too small for the fabric to do any good. But don't take my word for it - look it up yourself!

That's one of the reasons why this virus seems to be so easily transmissable: governments all over the world insist on taking measures that do not work. Wearing a mask will only give a false sense of security, making people ignore social distancing. And it's harmfull for your overall health as mentioned in earlier posts.

But I'm not suggesting to stop wearing masks where it is required by law, as it's not worth the hassle to be attacked by the misinformed sheep around you.

Finally, a world renowned virologist/physician steps in to clear up this previously mysterious issue.

I just threw out the box of 3M N99 and N95 masks I bought. Woo hoo. Free at last.

Thanks so much for the clarification and so early in your TVF career.

You will fit in nicely.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Recent advice has been that masks were not needed outdoors if simply passing others while running or walking.

So as the advice of experts changes I follow expert advice.

Cute little schoolmarm aphorism anyway even though it was misplaced.

I completely agree with that. I never wear a mask when I'm out and about in the village or when I'm taking my daily exercise walk around the lake. But I'm always aware of and respect social distancing.

5 hours ago, Bukowski said:

Brilliantly said. Another study released just days ago confirms surgical masks are not suitable..The best description I heard was likening it to throwing sand at a chain link fence. 

Except for the fact the virus travels on droplets of water in the breath of those who infected.

The size of the virus is therefore the wrong measure.

A link to the study you have referred to might be useful in your response.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Experts who seem to keep changing their minds in my book aren't experts.. so I rely on my own common sense... so far I haven't caught covid.

Experts change their opinion as new information arrives.

Your common sense ought to be telling you the fact you have not yet caught Covid is absolutely no guarantee against you doing so.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Except for the fact the virus travels on droplets of water in the breath of those who infected.

https://uwaterloo.ca/news/media/study-supports-widespread-use-better-masks-curb-covid-19

32 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9914969/Popular-blue-surgical-face-masks-NOT-stop-people-infected-COVID-19.html

On 8/21/2021 at 3:29 PM, FrankThePlumber said:

Has anyone ever been fined for not wearing a mask, or know of anyone?

I know of two that got a fine, the prime minister, and one guy in the village where I live. Both cases were in the beginning of when fines became an option to support the government, so the village guy had to come up with 6,000 baht, I think to remember that the prime minister paid the same.

However, it might depend of area how strict the authorities are, and if someone is running, or walking, to exercise without a mask in a more rural, or isolated, area; I see several daily, both farangs and Thais...????

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

I know of two that got a fine, the prime minister, and one guy in the village where I live. Both cases were in the beginning of when fines became an option to support the government, so the village guy had to come up with 6,000 baht, I think to remember that the prime minister paid the same.

However, it might depend of area how strict the authorities are, and if someone is running, or walking, to exercise without a mask in a more rural, or isolated, area; I see several daily, both farangs and Thais...????

Was the guy in your village Thai or Farang?