After two Sinovac shots - what are the options (not only in Thailand) to be internationally fully vaccinated?

OneMoreFarang

Makes uncomfortable reading, there is no official line because no one really knows what's going on, now we have uniformed people trying to get as many shots as might seem viable for positive travel plans.

I was in hospital 3 months ago and was told by the nurses and surgeon that it made no difference if I was vaccinated or not ( I wasn't and was going to get vaccinated before I went for surgery) so I did not bother with the vaccine and still haven't today, yet somehow now a vaccine is needed for travel! What's changed in these couple of months?

Please look at Israel the most vaccinated country in the world, its a disaster.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pinot said:

Wrong! With Sinovac you are highly likely to live a long life even if you get Covid. You have a high percentage of not becoming sick enough to not need to be hospitalized is the bottom line. That's simply not the case if you don't get a jab of Sinovac. Your statement is wrong and should be deleted. 

Also, a third jab of Sinovac is just as effective as getting another vaccine variety, according to Sinovac. 

The problem with Sinovac is the efficacy of your protection getting Covid is lower.  

If your only opportunity of getting vaccinated is Sinovac...take it. No vaccine over a Sinovac vaccination can be a foolish deadly mistake. 

Update today, lockdown in NZ, 32 Delta cases in the community, of them 17 were fully vaccinated, and infectious.

Pfizer was the vaccine, so you can still catch Covid-19 /Delta get sick and spread the virus even if you have had two shots. 

Radio NZ national today. 

Only 5 people in ICU out of about 100 cases, most are not in hospital, but recovering in MIQ, leaves a big...?mark over any vaccine. 

22 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I got my two shots in Thailand. Directly after that I received a professionally looking certificate with all the details. The certificate also contains a QR code and I am pretty sure that leads to a Thai database with the details. 

556682686_ThaiCovidCertificate.jpg.3e0d164e591a7643f406ab023137a5f9.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much about the travel to EU. For most of the countries a recent PCR test is enough to enter, as long as Thailand still remains orange. For quite a few airlines flying to/from Thailand the PCR test is mandatory to board the plane, the vaccination status doesn't matter.

I entered Europe not vaccinated, only with a PCR test (which Etihad required anyway),  and got my first Pfizer shot there.

The vax certificates are mostly valid for 180 days after 14 days from the second jab, so if you want to go back to Thailand and travel again to Europe your certificate may expire by then.

If you don't plan to get 2 shots in Europe it would be better to get a booster there, and get the same booster back in Thailand to get a certificate with a longer validity. For example 1 X AZ booster in Europe, and a few months later 1 X AZ booster in Thailand and get an AZ certificate. It is probably better to jab with something widely available in Thailand like AZ.

I went not vaccinated to get Pfizer jabs from scratch, as the chance of Australia approving 2 X Sinovac jabs are remote at the moment, and I need to go back when the country opens. I hope to enter Australia before the certificate expires and get a booster Pfizer there.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 5:45 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Or the other option is to get i.e. two shots BioNTech with three weeks in between.

The problem is obviously that, as far as I know, there are few studies which vaccines can and should be mixed. And probably even fewer studies with not only 3 but 4 shots.

So far the studies that I have seen mentioned in the news are positive for booster jabs - especially Pfizer is used at the moment - J&J is a vector vaccine like AZ, which also seems to work Okay as booster, so one jab of J&J might be it.

12 hours ago, DjSilver said:

If you took Sinovac you are just about XXXXXX. As I don't understand how anyone should choose to take that vaccine of all. Even if I think that taking no vaccine is just as good, you chooses the one with most water in it ????????????

Absolute garbage. The immune system response to the vaccine is unique to each individual, for every vaccine there will be those that get a very good response and some very poor, everybody else will be somewhere in between.

The figures given out for each vaccine are based on a certain sample & variant, different samples would give different figures.

Antibody testing is still in it's infancy, current figures are purely guidance, it will be a long time yet before there is any accurate data on protection levels.

13 hours ago, DjSilver said:

If you took Sinovac you are just about XXXXXX. As I don't understand how anyone should choose to take that vaccine of all. Even if I think that taking no vaccine is just as good, you chooses the one with most water in it ????????????

Double dosed with Sinovac in June and July. Tested positive last week and was under the weather for 2 days, but the symptoms went after that.

so not exactly XXXXXXX was it?

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2021 at 3:30 AM, JWRC said:

One more Farang you said, and I quote "I want to be protected against Covid". None of the vaccines prevent you getting Covid, So I guess you are saying you just want a vaccine that complies with International travel or countries you may wish to visit, there is a difference. 

“None of the vaccines prevent you getting Covid”........... Say what now ????

It is astonishing that some people can write and understand English, yet are so fundamentally ill-informed. 

The comment above is almost ‘perfectly incorrect’ and is a polar opposite of the facts:

Effiacy and effectiveness: 

The mRNA Vaccines such as Moderna and Pfizer have an reported efficacy of 95% (after two doses, this may be slightly lower for the Delta Variant) - Thus, in ’selected study groups’ 95% of people who were exposed to SARS-CoV-2 did not test positive for Covid-19. 

Effectiveness simply involves how this efficacy translates to a real world situation where a populace has a greater age range than the test groups and a greater range of underlying conditions.

One thing is 100% certain and has not been brought into question by anyone... The vaccines do work and have prevented people from contracting Covid-19. 

Suggesting that “None of the vaccines prevent you getting Covid” is either deliberately misleading or written by   someone whose finds basic levels of intellect illusive. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 3:25 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems everybody, including people who got one or multiple shots can get Covid. And they can transmit Covid.

The big difference is that vaccines make it a lot more likely that people don't get really sick or die. I think I read recently a statistic that only 0.6% of the people who died recently were fully vaccinated. There is no 100% protection. But there is some protection and sometimes even very good protection. 

True. Even if the efficacy is 95% after two vaccine doses, obviously there is still a chance in 20 that you can get Covid-19, not to mention new mutations of the virus, or the slow decline of antibodies ...

On 8/23/2021 at 8:51 PM, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Double dosed with Sinovac in June and July. Tested positive last week and was under the weather for 2 days, but the symptoms went after that.

so not exactly XXXXXXX was it?

usually if you get covid one is not sick or home more than 1 week even without vaccine ????????????

On 8/28/2021 at 12:59 PM, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Come again? 

yes, that is how it works in Sweden. If one tests positive one stay home for 7 days and 2 of those should be without fever. After those 7 days one can go out and back to work again. Even if one still tests positive that doesn't matter because one can't transfer covid-19 after being sick for these 7 days.